Alternatives to the major listing sites

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Mountain Goat wrote:But if the country you want is not in their Top 20 (which includes Ecuador, UAE and Argentina) how does the punter choose something like, um, Switzerland?
MG
You'll just have to buy an apartment or villa in Spain to rent out :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I've just worked it out Mountie :idea: On the first page you choose number of bedrooms etc, then if you look underneath there is the option of the type of accommodation where you will see 'cabins/chalets', once you tick that then the countries chosen to appear include Switzerland.

I had my first booking with Travel Library last month, a real last minute thing.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Party, that's really great, thanks.

I just wonder if the site publisher is cleverer than we thought?

There's no income from the owners with free ads, so income must come from the Google ads. Punter arrives on the website, tries to puzzle out the search system, gets totally confused, and, in frustration, taps on the Google ads.

Result? Income for site owner.

But it is interesting that some of us have had bookings.

MG
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Mountain Goat wrote: But it is interesting that some of us have had bookings.
MG
Following on from recent threads I could say that it has been my most successful site but that's only because the enquiries to bookings ratio is 100%. Before anyone gets too excited that actually translates as 1 enquiry in 2 years resulting in one booking :lol: hey, it's free though and compared to my 3 bookings from 10 enquiries in 14 months with HL I shan't complain.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
goosie

Post by goosie »

since readin this topic I've signed up to travel library and rentability. Now I'm waiting for those bookings to come rolling in :lol:

we also advertise on holidayhomerental.co.uk which is a newish site claiming to have free adverts until this summer. Haven't had any bookings from them but it is free so who cares!!! :wink:
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Hi Goosie
Just had a quick look at the site and on their 'about us' page, it says they are offering free listings until 'early 2007' which suggests to me that they've not been revisiting their own website and updating for a while :?
Ray
goosie

Post by goosie »

but they are active because I've had personal emails from the owner with very quick turn around so worth trying I reackon.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Yes fair enough
Might be worth emailing them and asking why that particular page is so out of date. If they're not keeping at least one of the site pages up to date, perhaps they're not spending too much time on other aspects of the site :?:
There may well be a very good explanation for it, but I can't think of one.
I'd be interested to find out Goosie.
I might then have a dabble myself :)
Ray
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Holiday Ray wrote: If they're not keeping at least one of the site pages up to date, perhaps they're not spending too much time on other aspects of the site :?:
That was my reaction too, Ray - bit slack if they want the site to get somewhere ...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Linda S

Post by Linda S »

Hi All,

I recently joined, but I've been reading for a while and really appreciate the sharing of your knowledge.

I listed my newest rental with travel-library in late August and it has been by far my best free listing. Although I only received 2-3 inquiries a month from them last year I did get one 7 week booking. This year I've received 9 inquiries and one 2 1/2 week booking for Christmas. Although their search is a bit unusual my listing is being found. Definitely can't complain about that for a free site. I think it's definitely worth a try. Unfortunately they don't allow a link to our website and also no availability calendar.
Linda
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think travel library sent out a survey last year, and a calendar was one of the options they were thinking of introducing.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

HelenB wrote:I think travel library sent out a survey last year, and a calendar was one of the options they were thinking of introducing.
Yes Helen, that's the one thing I'm desperate for with Travel Library, I seem to get a lot of enquiries but they are often for booked dates. I would be happy to pay if they had an availability calendar because they come quite high on google searches for my property.
Liane Goodlife France

ebay advertising and abooking.com

Post by Liane Goodlife France »

I booked a holiday a few years ago through ebay, it's the first thing I ever bought on ebay and it was great. This is my first year up and running, might give it a go.

Also, have had a message from abooking.com for a free listing on their site, they want iban and swiftbic codes. Not many on there for France. Not sure if it's a wee dodgy, any ideas?
'Life's a garden, dig it!'
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Lia

I wouldn't leave your garden for this company, they charge a 15% commision from the property owner and a translation fee for the languages in which your property is displayed and I haven't even finished the terms and conditions.

I'm not surprised they have almost no properties for Italy :!:

Chianti without the flannel
Liane Goodlife France

abooking

Post by Liane Goodlife France »

Thanks Chianti
Liane.
'Life's a garden, dig it!'