Counter-intuitive bit of advice for securing a booking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Anno

Post by Anno »

Re asking to put 5 people in a place designed for 4: not necessarily an amateur psychologist's view, but as a punter who has (successfully) made such requests, in both cases it wasn't about getting a bargain but really being keen on the house in question. OK, so nobody forced us to have three children :wink:, but 5 is often an awkward number to find accommodation for. I reckoned I had nothing to lose by just asking whether the owner would allow an extra 3 year old on a mattress on the floor - and if they'd said no, then I would have accepted that.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We don't accept pets and this is stated clearly in our advertising - nevertheless, we had an enquiry by phone last year from a delightful lady, who refused to be put off by our lack of fencing and sweet-talked me into accepting her family plus 'well behaved dog'.

Dog was well behaved, we were rewarded by a gift of some great photos to add to our website - and they're returning this year!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Nice one GG
Although we are pet lovers ourselves, we also advertise 'no pets' because you just don't know what kind of pets might arrive and how well behaved they are likely to be. (I speak from the experience of an owner who had several 'new' kitchen units nibbled away at, by a puppy of ours, a while ago :evil: ). Not the puppies fault of course, but these things do happen.

If we were convinced by whatever means that the pet owners would respect the property (and of course pay for any damage caused) then we would probably allow a pet. But that is a big IF !
Ray
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I've just read this thread with interest because we have finally finished our 1st floor' London flat - we have 2 in the same building and the top floor is the one we used to live in when our kids were small. When the ground floor was fully booked we still had enquiries to whom I replied that our upper floor would be ready shortly One family who were very interested have a 2 year old and asked if it was suitable.

I replied that we had brought up our own family in the top flat - Lizzie was born there.

I explained that the garden is accessed by an iron staircase outside the flat and that children must be supervised but the access door from the kitchen is lockable and my own kids are still alive - so you have to be careful and attentive but yes, its OK.

They have booked. I think if you are honest people make their own minds up from the information given. I'd prefer not to hide anything because I would hate for anyone to feel I had misled them into believing something is 'safe' when in fact it is, but only with supervision and care.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Anno wrote:Re asking to put 5 people in a place designed for 4: not necessarily an amateur psychologist's view, but as a punter who has (successfully) made such requests, in both cases it wasn't about getting a bargain but really being keen on the house in question. OK, so nobody forced us to have three children :wink:, but 5 is often an awkward number to find accommodation for. I reckoned I had nothing to lose by just asking whether the owner would allow an extra 3 year old on a mattress on the floor - and if they'd said no, then I would have accepted that.
Which is why I usually accept the booking. I am from a large family myself. We can actually sleep 5 as we have a single sofa bed which we use when our boys stay, as they don't like sharing a double.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Paolo - thanks! so interesting! and true I think!

I do get a few enquiries asking about a garden or outdoor space...and, honestly, I was tired of being apologetic and playing up the fact that there are plenty of benches and cafes and parks to sit outside...so...got an enquiry for a couple with a baby...same thing...they wanted something with a garden...just told them NO...no garden. no terrance. not really enough space for the cot (it would have to go in the main sitting area)...NO, there was no place at all to go sit outside when the little one was napping, etc., etc. They booked and are very excited about their trip :-) seem delighted. great lesson to just be honest - even overly so I guess ;-)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Musetta,

I think you are so right. Don’t tell people what they want, tell them what you have and let them make up their own minds.

Alan
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Totally agree with the need to be honest. We have a ground floor apartment with bedrooms/lounge/kitchen/bathroom all on one floor but we don't advertise it as wheelchair friendly as the bathroom is narrow and you have to breathe in to get past the wash basin.

But, we had an enquiry from a family with one family member in a wheelchair. We explained the situation, gave them all the exact measurements for the narrow bit in the bathroom, explained about about the slope into the lounge (which can act as a good launching pad), promised them our Heath Robinson-ish ramp .... They came to stay last week and they were as happy as anything.
enid

Post by enid »

An interesting idea. People often ask if they have to share the pool here - I say well only withthe pêople in the other gite - you remember the publicity saying 2 gites. Never seems to put anyone off. But I don't tell them about the plump old woman who lives here and goes for a swim early in the morning!!!
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

We've explored every aspect of our listing where we think people might make assumptions. For example, we are on a river which is lovely for kayaking and canoeing and it's quiet because there are no motorboats, however many of our guests have assumed that there is access into the lake downstream. Since there are several sets of rapids on the way, this is not an option.

When we first rented we had a complaint from a guest who had brought along his motorboat and couldn't access the lake.

There is a nice strip of 'beach' which is more gravelly than sand and we have to be very clear about this or we hear that guests were disappointed because they expected something similar to Waikiki.

Our description now mentions a shingle beach and says clearly the lake is not accessible from the location. Bare-bones honesty and clarity does create better guest relations every time.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bare-bones honesty and clarity does create better guest relations every time.

100% agree - that really makes sense.

MG