is June normally quiet?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
goosie

is June normally quiet?

Post by goosie »

I am new to renting this year. Our property has a spa near it so our season seems longer than most (certainly the properties near us listed with places like English Country Cottages hold their rates for the full year reasonably well). Since March we've had most weekends booked and are doing ok for the summer season BUT we have no bookings in June. Is this normal for UK properties?

I wondered whether June is too early for people to take an English summer holiday but too close to the summer for people to take short-breaks.

What is your experience or do I have some more quiet months ahead?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Goosie

I know we're in different markets but I have been feeling that year on year June has been getting more and more difficult to sell, as opposed to September which is becoming easier and easier.
I know others in Spain that are also struggling with June rentals.

I wonder if the school holiday break (end May/beginning June) may have something to do with it. Families naturally take their holidays then whilst couples, groups of friends want to wait until the better weather hits?

Although I've sold my couple of weeks in June, I still have w/c 28th free...with hardly any enquiries for it.

I'm actually contemplating only renting July, August & September next year...and staying in the house through June (at the mo we vacate mid June & rent our home out).

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Speaking from yet another area, we also find that June is always quiet, although we have just taken a couple of bookings in the last few days, so maybe it is a 'last minute' period. We have 27% of nights sold across 5 apartments, compared with 40% in May.
Travelmad

Post by Travelmad »

I think this year is going to be very hard. Petrol prices at £6.00 per gallon dont help.
I like to Travel, but im only a little mad. :)
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

The last couple of years, June hasn't been an easy month to get bookings, and that's for Edinburgh.
Windy

Post by Windy »

We sold nearly al the summer except the first week in June and the last week in August by the end of January.

Since then we've hardly had an enquiry and the visitors to the web site went down by about 50%

I think it's getting quite tough out there now and it doesn't look as though it's going to get a lot easier in the sort term. :cry:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have never had any bookings for June, but the valley is very quiet then, apart from kayakers, many of whom camp, so don't use accommodation, and they want low budget stuff when they do.Nearly all our summer bookings tend to be last minute, but August has been booked for ages, and a week at the end of September, We have nothing for june or July as yet , though we are taking two weeks in July for our own holiday. I have an exchange enquiry for 5 people from Canada for one of the July weeks but would rather hold out for a paying guest. I have explained it will be cramped for 5 adultsd but they are very persistent. They have a gorgeous place in Canmore, in the Banff national park in Canada, but flights over there are expensive, especially to go and stay for just one week.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Yet another area, but we are normally completely sold out in June and all of May as well. This year, bookings were dire until a few weeks ago, when I secured a few weeks here and there, but overall, not good. I put it down to the fact that many of our May and June bookings are typically second or third holidays, so that's where people are cutting back.

Petrol/gas @ GBP 6/ US$12 a gallon? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes! It's hovering around $4 a gallon here. I have noticed increased interest from our UK guests in the local outlet center. It's definitely on everyone's agenda, they bring empty cases and tell me the savings pay for the flights.