Good points, bad points about a rental property

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
paolo

Good points, bad points about a rental property

Post by paolo »

I stayed at a cottage in Cornwall in the far wild west of England last week. It's always fun to arrive and have a look around to see if each room fills you with pleasure or gloom.

It was really nice there and here are the pluses and minuses I noticed, mostly trivial but they add up:

The Good
- Very clean.
- Lovely crisp white duvet covers, firm mattresses.
- A large basket of firewood for the first night and details of where to get more.
- Stainless steel toilet brush holders that just look more elegant than the plastic ones and probably cost no more.
- Combined video and DVD player (these are really affordable now).
- High chair and travel cot so we didn't have to bring our own.

The Bad
- Although the house was well cleaned, it had been left standing for a little while, and there were cobwebs in corners and dead flies on window ledges.
- We could really have used a small-scale map showing where we were in relation to local shops and amenities.
- Feeble electric shower billed as a 'power shower'.
- Where were we supposed to empty the bins?
- No washing up brush.

What were the good and bad points about where you last stayed?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

My reply relates to two holidays.

The first was at a hotel on the Northumberland coast at the beginning of November. Wonderful location, but we were the only ones in the hotel. There was no-one at the reception when we arrived (and we were only 10 minutes later than our stated arrival time) and when we were eventually shown to our room the heating was not on. Not a plus point in the UK in November! We never recovered from our welcome!

We have stayed at the same self catering villa in northern Tenerife for the last two years. Lovely villa, excellent welcome from the owners, some superb winter walking, etc but some big "buts":

* No info at all about the local area - not even the standard tourist blurb.
* No tin opener and limited number of pots and pans
* Freezer compartment in the fridge was frozen up
* Not enough hot water for even one bath. We're happy to share but do like hot water!!
* Not enough lighting to read by - but there was a lamp that we could move about.
* No opportunity to give feedback.

But we did re-book so it wasn't all bad!

What I also find surprising about the villa holiday is that we booked directly with the owners and each time we booked in November. If that were me I would now be in contact to say "Hi, are you booking for 2005?".

Anyway, must be off to search the internet for a stainless steel toilet holder!

But seriously, thank you, Paolo, for yet more helpful hints. Hope you and your family enjoyed your holiday in Cornwall

Cheers

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'm burning with curiosity re the Hotel - Bamburgh Castle - Schooner at Alnmouth??? I don't know what the hotel is like but the meals at The Victoria in Bamburgh are great!

The last time I stayed in a self catering place (France)
the good was:
  • The view
    The location - right on the port
    The modern furnishings
    Brand new bedding and towels (we were first of the season)
The bad:
  • Being charged a refundable deposit for leaving the place clean and leaving it much, much cleaner than it was.
    List of over the top "rules and regulations" on how to clean the place, how to leave it, but no cleaning products available.
    Unmatched crockery, cutlery and general kitchen stuff, but to turn that into a positive it became my basis on what NOT to do!
    Complex advertised as having a swimming pool but not being advised it would not be open when we rented at the beginning of the season (late May/early June)
The nicest thing in a hotel was in Cuba. The maids make swans out of the towels - one of them stuck our baseball caps on the swans!! Another maid did a heart by rolling up the towel and an arrow with the other - ah!! We tipped them with lots of soap/shampoo and pens..
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Just to whet your curiosity, Sue. We had two superb meals at the Bamburgh Castle (but unfortunately did not stay there!). Our accommodation was in Seahouses. The plot thickens ....

Christine
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

ha!! I spied out hotels in Seahouses this weekend.. it has to be The Farne or The Beach Hotel? My money's on The Farne....