Enquiry for 2009 - what would you say?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Ju

Enquiry for 2009 - what would you say?

Post by Ju »

I've just had my first genuine enquiry for 2009. It is for 2 weeks starting 27th July - so are probably the most popular weeks of the year for us.

I prefer not to open booking until 12 months ahead as I like to give this years guests the chance to re-book for next year. We also haven't set our prices yet for next year - and given the exchange rate there is likely to be a heafty hike.

What would you do? Take the money or open the box?

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It depends on how confident you feel about bookings for 2009. I'm not and so I've taken 3 bookings for 2009 - in euros. I'm not waiting for repeats with the current exchange rate - do you think your potential repeats will be happy to pay your substantial hike in rates for 2009 or will you feel obliged to give them a discount?
I haven't increased my prices from 2008, just charged the 2008 euro rate (I've taken the sterling rate off my prices and changed the listing sites), so there has been effectively a 15% increase for people from the UK, but it hasn't put them off (so far).
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Take the money, bird in the hand etc. etc.

It is sweet that you are so generous to your existing guests that you will refuse a firm booking from someone else on the offchance that they will book with you again, but there are all sorts of genuine reasons why people can decide not to rebook (like family weddings or reunions). Given how many in here are saying that bookings are down, I really cannot see any reason for the 12 month rule. One of the reasons we are doing so well this year is that we got booked up so early - before the exchange rate got so awful. Which means that people who wanted to book and missed out will have to book even earlier in future.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I think you are right - so I have told them they can book.

But - I have put up my prices in line with the exchange rate and I've doubled my deposit (we only ask £250 which in peak season is not much of a percentage).

It is really the guests who stay in the gite next to our house who I like to let repeat (and that is where the enquiry is for). I don't mind booking far in advance for the ones over at the other property but if we get a set of guests here that we like (and importantly that the children like) we like to encourage them to repeat. We have one set coming back this year for their fifth year (and it is only our sixth season). They are more like friends than guests.
goosie

Post by goosie »

We have also had our first enquiry for 2009 - out of season which is odd (I'm the sort of person who books a holiday a maximum of three months in advance so the idea of booking something for next year is entirely alien to me! :)

Given this is our first year and we have no idea about inflation and the state of the market, what is a reasonable increase in price to ask? Ideas gratefully received!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Apart from Christmas, our only booking for 2009 so far is for March - very much low season for us. I offered 2008 rates in return for 100% payment (although we do ask for 100% from almost all guests, I would not always do it that far ahead without a price deal as I have suggested).

We did not put up our rates for the second year (and each subsequent year) until we could see how the bookings were going. I would say, only put up your rates if you have got the occupancy/revenue you wanted. And set your peak season rates, if you have them, according to when you are most heavily booked or booked early. Better to respond to the market, we find, than try to push ahead of it.
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

we have had enquiries for christmas 2008 from a large group 24th dec -1st jan....unfortunately we will be with family in the uk. also i think the ulterior motive was for the group to utilise the on-site chef....ME.... to the maximum, and i couldn't envisage me and sue sitting in the kitchen with our turkey dinner whilst the parties in full swing!!!
chef who will try anything!!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

What a lovely dilemma, Ju :wink: .

If your 2008 guests are all new, I would stick with the "bird in the hand" advice ... and if anyone from this year wants to re-book try and get a different week out of them.

The only exception I would make is for your regular guests who book year in, year out. We have a few who take the same two weeks in August, the same week in February and October, the same weekend in November. I always use an enquiry as an excuse to get in touch with them to make sure that they want to re-book.

We tend to plan our prices at least 18 months in advance so that we know what to charge if we do get enquiries. Today, we got a genuine enquiry for October 2009.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have a booking for April 2009 made a couple of months ago and an email from the guests this week saying they had to cancel for "unavoidable reasons" (in 10 months time?) and could they move the booking to the same dates in 2010 :shock:

Still undecided what to do. I might not even be renting in 2 years time! At least I have their deposit.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mark, I sympathise, and although our terms and conditions state that the holding deposit is non-refundable, I think I would take a view about a booking that far in advance and for the sake of good will, would return it if I wasn't sure I was going to be letting in 2010; you never know, they may re-book another time. :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be