New Regulations........

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Alan Knighting wrote:One of the ideas behind the European Union is an opening up of the old internal borders and most of the old controls have now been dispensed with.Alan
It was a nice idea in theory, but not all the countries comply - you still have to register with the POLICE within 24 hours of arrival in Italy - EU citizens too (!) many just do not realize this because, if you stay at a hotel, they take your passport and info and fill out the police forms for you and take care of the registration! You are also not allowed to live there as an EU citizen without proving medical care insurance, proof of funds, etc., etc. (as I do not live there full time, I am not qualified about the specifics) and formally applying for residency - it must be granted and not an automatic for EU citizens at all.

You always have to fill out a landing card when entering the US...I do, and I am a US citizen (!) - online is much easier than scrambling for a pen, etc. on the plane after a long flight.

I also have to answer all sorts of questions upon entering Europe (even though I am also an EU citizen, I usually travel with my US passport) - I have also had to fill out those forms upon entering the EU...and been questioned by immigration about personal background, where I'm staying, for how long, etc., etc. - don't you all worry...US citizens do get it on the other side as well. (worst was once arriving in Dubin where they were rude beyond belief and pulled me aside for "ransom questioning" - with my infant in my arms...and my IRISH in-laws standing there waiting to drive us home!)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

A2 wrote:
Oh please... get it in perspective. They are only migrating a manual system into a computerized one.
Simon Davies, Privacy International (Human Rights group founded in 1990) wrote:
Governments are systematically removing the right to privacy. Surveillance of every type is being instituted throughout society without any thought about the need for safeguards. The spectre of terrorism has at last become the device that any government can deploy to entrench the powers they've always sought.
Maybe kteee is right. Perhaps the only freedom that remains for a private citizen is to go and spend their valuable currency in a more civilised country with less intrusive entry requirements. If you can find one.

Jim
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I’m sure may of these examples of what a visitor has to do when wanting to enter another country are correct but the blanket statement “You have to give details in advance before entering Spain” is not one of them.

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

"ransom questioning"
Blimey Musetta :shock: Did your family pay it[just teasing of course.I know what you meant]..... :wink:

Youre right about all the regulations ,I think its something we have to live with unfortunately..
something Im willing to put up with, to get where I want to be :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

It probably wasn't meant as a blanket statement when made Alan, just something that had yet to be expanded on at that point in the the discussion.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

big sis! hahaha. would have made things more interesting!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Partridge wrote:It probably wasn't meant as a blanket statement when made Alan, just something that had yet to be expanded on at that point in the discussion.
Maybe so but at whatever point in the discussion the statement was made it remains an incorrect statement.

I maintain that I can drop into Spain anytime I like without giving anybody any information in advance or at the time. I’m not guessing, I’m not relying on the experiences of friends, I know it as a matter of regular personal experience.

Please do tell me how I might be wrong.

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Before you even view flights on Ryanair to Spain you have to click to say youre aware that the information must be given

After booking, the online form I get, also says that if its not filled in when you arrive at the airport, you wont be allowed to fly!!

Has anyone had dealings with this ??

It seems a little heavy handed to me:roll:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Please do tell me how I might be wrong
I'll take a rain check on that one, it's almost beer o'clock :wink:

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Partridge wrote:
Please do tell me how I might be wrong
I'll take a rain check on that one, it's almost beer o'clock :wink:
To hell with it all, may I join you in a beer?

Alan
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

To hell with it all, may I join you in a beer?
Why certainly, although strictly speaking mines a dry white wine but 'wine o'clock' just doesn't have the same ring does it. Now, where are my nuts.....I mean, my pistachios :oops:

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan Knighting wrote:
Partridge wrote:It probably wasn't meant as a blanket statement when made Alan, just something that had yet to be expanded on at that point in the discussion.
Maybe so but at whatever point in the discussion the statement was made it remains an incorrect statement.

I maintain that I can drop into Spain anytime I like without giving anybody any information in advance or at the time. I’m not guessing, I’m not relying on the experiences of friends, I know it as a matter of regular personal experience.

Please do tell me how I might be wrong.

Alan
Alan, I think we are both right. You would probably enter Spain by car across an unmanned border, as you are living in a country which is part of the Schengen group. We would arrive in Spain by air from the UK and be subject to passport control as we are not part of the Schengen group. Swiss arrivals also need to complete these details.
Easy Jet Website - Additional Passenger Information on Spanish Flights
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,
Alan, I think we are both right.
Yes. You and I know that within the EU API does not apply to EU residents.

API (Additional Passenger Information) adds up giving the date of birth, nationality and passport or national identity card details of each passenger. It hardly deserves comments like “Perhaps the only freedom that remains for a private citizen is to go and spend their valuable currency in a more civilised country with less intrusive entry requirements”.

Alan
CSE

Post by CSE »

We never give information when returning to Spain, we drive!
Another thing that is seemly deemed to be for the good of security is this horrific idea. (Nothing to do with the USA this time)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 087561.ece
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.