Pamphlets and Business cards etc. - Who do you use?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
cambalala

Pamphlets and Business cards etc. - Who do you use?

Post by cambalala »

I've been trying to get test business cards printed now for ages. What a mission. It seems that there are no printing companies in the UK looking for new business as they never
get back to me once I send them my card design.
I'd like to get some pamphlets printed for noticboards and such things also.

I found an old friend in Oxford who is actully willing to print me a sample and he actually answers emails etc. I may not even shop around now that I have found a single reliable print-man (whatever the PC term is.)

Will wait and see....
Is this a common problem or is it just me?
Last edited by cambalala on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.cambalala.com - 3D Virtual Tour
Website On: Wordpress.
Booking Software: PIMS) - Yay!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We do our own. Almost everything we do is paper-free, but I do print some business cards to leave in local bars and hand out to hubby's squash mates.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Vistaprint, an internet based company is widely used by LMH members Cambalala, but that's a service for design-and-print, either for using their templates or putting ones own design together on line there.

This company, part of Cambridge University Press, would not disappoint as quality is second to none, but it may cost more than the average printing service: http://www.cambridgeprinting.org/promotional/

Again, they may expect to be asked to design as well as print, but it's certainly worth checking that.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I saw a lovely idea a couple of nights ago, it was a folded business card for a photographer, across the inside was a strip of photos, it would easily convert to a one for a rental.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Raymond, as you may know from the vistaprint thread, my hub is a printer and although he might not be able to help you directly he'll more than happily advise you on what your options are if you want to pm me with details.

I do know that a printer should be able and happy to do some business cards for a reasonable price and good quality if you are providing the artwork (pdf). If on the other hand they need to prepare the artwork for you then cost might be prohibitive i.e people often would rather get 'ready done' from vistaprint, lesser quality paper/card but you gets what you pay for.

Btw Goaty, hub said to wash your mouth out as Cambridgepress are a compeitior and of course, not as good :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

cambalala, I would definately advise you to go with the Vista Print option - upload your own picture of the property and have a custom message printed on the rear. If your not in a hurry, you can get it done for next to nothing, and the quality is excellent (choose glossy for photos).

They also do postcards that you can have your web address etc printed on: another form of very cheap marketing.

A tip - log on but don't order the first time. You will get an email from a day or two later offering you the products for free (plus p&p).
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Partridge wrote: Cambridgepress are a compeitior and of course, not as good :wink:
Hee hee!
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Giddy Goat wrote:Vistaprint, an internet based company is widely used by LMH members Cambalala, but that's a service for design-and-print, either for using their templates or putting ones own design together on line there.
Thanks for that. I've checked the website and they look good. (although the LMH'ers seem to think they do spam-a-lot - this problem is easily solved by giving them an unused old hotmail account or something - Spam problem solved!)
I think once I have my design right I'll give them a go.
LaVilleauTady wrote: A tip - log on but don't order the first time. You will get an email from a day or two later offering you the products for free (plus p&p).
LOL - thanks for the tip ;-) - will give that a try
Partridge wrote: Hi Raymond, as you may know from the vistaprint thread, my hub is a printer and although he might not be able to help you directly he'll more than happily advise you on what your options are if you want to pm me with details.
Thanks for the offer. If I don't get any joy from my friend, I'll definitely contact you.
HelenB wrote: I saw a lovely idea a couple of nights ago, it was a folded business card for a photographer, across the inside was a strip of photos, it would easily convert to a one for a rental.
Now that does sound nice... almost like a mini pamphlet... only stylish... hmmmm I wonder what the prices would be like. Worth looking into... but as usual I'm getting ahead of myself.
Let me actually try get 1 business card printed. :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Let me actually try get 1 business card printed.
I Cambala :roll: You might have a job getting a 'deal' on that!! :wink:

Just teasing. :)
Good Luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted......cardwise[should that be postcard wise :roll: ]
saramar

Post by saramar »

I do use Vistaprint and have some vouchers if anyone wants me to forward them on - free T-shirts/ caps/pens/postcards/ business cards etc - just pay for the postage (and also if you have to upload a photo for the first time). I like to use the postcards as they are good quality and a lovely size.

I know they are a pain sending out emails more or less daily, but like you say if you use another email address, it really is not too much of a problem. The 21 day postage, which is the cheapest, usually arrives before the 21 days and for one of the recent offers, if you order over £20 of goods, you get free delivery too (to the UK).

The other thing is, with the email vouchers you can go back to your email and order any amount of things ie. business cards + t-shirt not just one free item. You have to remember to enter the Vistaprint site through your email.

Hope this helps
Sarah
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Thanks everyone above for advising Raymond :) .
Of course in doing so, you are helping the rest of us :D .

For my first batch of 1,000 business cards, I used a local Co (actually, it was a local franchise of printing.com) and the design and print (on so called 'premium recyclable card' - not the best looking, but I was trying to do my bit for the environment) cost me about eighty squid and that was supposedly a half price deal so I won't be going back there again :( .

So thanks everyone, I'll have a look at Vista.
We didn't manage to find the time last year (our first) to get christmas (post) cards printed, to send out to previous guests. So now you've reminded me I've got no excuse not to get some postcards printed in good time this year and hopefully you LMHers will have saved some of us quite a tidy sum.

Cheers :wink:
Ray
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

I get round the VistaPrint 'nag' emails by simply following the link at the bottom of every promotion they send you, which says you do not want to receive any more special offers from them.

They are as good as their word - I don't hear a thing from them again, until the next time I order, when I have to repeat the process!
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Thanks for the top tip LVT.
Saves having to create a new email address and regularly m/t'ing it of spam.
I'll follow your advice when I have a look at vista :D
Ray
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Woohooo!!! got my proof of my card design through the post from my friend in oxford. Looks really good if I dare say so myself. I've now tweeked the design accordingly and have ordered my first 500 cards from him.

Next time I'll give vista print a go with my completed design
and can then compare the quality and prices accordingly.

I've just spent the whole weekend designing a pamphlet now also - cant wait to see the proof for that now too.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The creative stuff's the fun bit isn't it! Love your avatar BTW Raymond!