Google

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
wilko

Google

Post by wilko »

Hi there need a bit of help. Our website will go live in the next few days. We registred it with google some months ago. If you type into google the address www.maspomona.com google finds it. However if you type in a general search eg "mas pomona chambre d'hotes in Provence" our site is not found. can anyone tell me how to rectify this situation. Thanks for any help.
Rgds Wilko
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Google is one of the toughest search engines to get a decent listing with, however, it's far from impossible.

Regular submission via the 'enter your url' google tool, will eventually get you listed, but it can take as in excess of 6 months.

By far the fastest way is to get a link to your site from another site that is already listed with google.

You could also read this thread for extra tips ...

viewtopic.php?t=260

Hope this helps
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

It isn't the regularity of submitting your site to google that does the business, it's the six months as google places all new domains into a sandbox for that period of time so no matter what you do, you won't get the site into their index.

The way around this is, as you say, to get a link to your site from one that is already in google. What happens then is that next time google crawls the "old" site, it follows the link to your and you're in. You should still submit your site with "add url" though as otherwise you'll remain dependant on the "old" site.

Arnold
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Sorry my english was the problem there.

I meant to say that the 'standard' submission method via google's 'add url' page .... etc, etc .... will eventually get you listed.

As you rightly say, multiple submissions will have zero effect on the timescale .... though too many could eventually get you 'blocked' I hear.
Last edited by livinginitaly on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Indeed. Be very careful with multiple submissions. Search engines do not appreciate what appear from their end to be automated submissions and may drop your site altogether which is something to bear in mind if you're thinking of taking up one of the numerous offers of submitting your site X times a day for a fee.

Arnold
Splash Internet

Google myths

Post by Splash Internet »

There are a few classic myths mentioned in this thread,

1) You do not need to submit to Google - it has a submision page because people expect to find one..... it uses links to crawl the web and find pages

2) not every site gets demoted to the 'sandbox' (a term used where a site cannot get ranked and is prob due to over zealous SEO tactics) so dont be put off !

3) Search engines will not drop your site for regular submissions - or I would have most of my competitiors banned by now :)

OK so what should you do?
Well there is nothing wrong with Google, it has your site indexed correctly, the problem is with your site (page) itself, have a look at this search term

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mas+Pomo ... bres+d%27h

So Google has you for the broken Chambres d' term but not for the complete term, look at your HTML for why that is

Here is what google sees of that Page:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:ht ... m/&strip=1

I would suggest that the best way to sort out your problem is to re-write that page, both the text and the html if possible. And then expand on your website, currenlty one page (and so of little importance to Google)

For a simple layout the html really is 'soup' and does not encourage SE spiders to crawl your page

Hope the above helps, esp in clearing some of the Google myths
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Sorry my english was the problem there.
Ah Tony, it comes to all us expats in the end!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

1) You do not need to submit to Google - it has a submision page because people expect to find one..... it uses links to crawl the web and find pages
Yes, but if you have created a new domain, as in this case, and there is no link to it from anywhere else, google's crawlers will NOT find it. That is why google (and other search engines) has the "add url" link. This particular site is already in google because it is listed within ourinns.org which is itself crawled by google.
2) not every site gets demoted to the 'sandbox' (a term used where a site cannot get ranked and is prob due to over zealous SEO tactics) so dont be put off !
True, but the ones that don't are those that are linked to from a site that is already crawled by google. As you know, no sites that don't have such links have made it into google in under six months for a couple of years.
3) Search engines will not drop your site for regular submissions - or I would have most of my competitiors banned by now
Some most certainly will do this. I don't mean that a single automated submission will get you dropped but if you submit a hundred times a day you may well get dropped. As I say, the problem is with some places that offer (for a fee) to submit your site X times per day. Not only is the multiple submission likely to get you dropped, but by going through one of these sites you may be immediately tagged as "to be ignored".

Arnold
Splash Internet

Myths

Yes, but if you have created a new domain, as in this case, and there is no link to it from anywhere else, google's crawlers will NOT find it. That is why google (and other search engines) has the "add url" link. This particular site is already in google because it is listed within ourinns.org which is itself crawled by google.
Here's a test for you Arnold, when you have a new domain, new site, no links - submit it to Google and watch your logs, see if Googlebot visits
True, but the ones that don't are those that are linked to from a site that is already crawled by google. As you know, no sites that don't have such links have made it into google in under six months for a couple of years.
Wrong - sandboxed sites ARE linked to from other domains, prob. by too many other domains, making it look like unnatural link building - and so obviously SEO'd
Not only is the multiple submission likely to get you dropped, but by going through one of these sites you may be immediately tagged as "to be ignored".
As I said before, this is NOT the case or I could wipe out my competitors in a single (or multiple) stroke(s). When you are operating in high compitition money areas I can assure you that this would happen if it worked - it dosent.

What *may* happen if you multi submit from your PC using an automated program is that your IP - of your PC - may get banned from Google - your website will not suffer

In an effort to put these myth's to bed - this is from Google's webmaster info pages:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiction: A competitor can ruin a site's ranking somehow or have another site removed from Google's index.
Fact: There's almost nothing a competitor can do to harm your ranking or have your site removed from our index. Your rank and your inclusion are dependent on factors under your control as a webmaster, including content choices and site design.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiction: A website will be removed from Google's index if it's "over-submitted."
Fact: We don't require submission nor do we penalize sites for "over-submission." You're free to submit as often as you wish. However, given the nature of our inclusion process, your time is better spent improving the content and links of your site.
---------------
Mike
http://www.Splash-Internet.com
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I'd a better test. New domain, no links to it, no visits from google (or indeed anyone/anything else) and not findable. This was after a couple of months.

It's quite difficult to set up a non-linked domain as most of the time people will enter some information on registration hence creating a link from the host. However, I can assure you that there is no link to a domain and you don't submit it anywhere (thus creating a link to it in due course) then it won't get crawled as google & co won't have any practical way of initiating the crawl.

On the other hand, although you pretty much need to go out of your way to have a non-linked domain I suspect that a considerable number of people have managed it when setting up DIY sites going by the comments on this board and LF.

It may be that it was the multiple submissions from a single IP that I'd heard about. Certainly some people seem to have managed to block themselves doing this or perhaps it was something else that they did at the same time.

I reckon that legit submissions (even if repeated) by the likes of ourselves are probably OK; it's the "we'll submit your site X times a day" outfits that cause the problems.

Arnold
Splash Internet

Oh well I tried :roll:
---------------
Mike
http://www.Splash-Internet.com
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just a couple of points :

The last couple of sites I have done have had their URL's picked up very quickly by google (they had a few links in place) with no need for submission.

Judged on keywords, there seems to be a delay between google finding the site, and it finding a position in the rankings for those keywords. Although google may visit every day, they only seem to reorganise the rankings on a monthly basis. I'm not sure if this is a sandbox, or the natural result of the process used.

There is definitely a connection between google ranking and content. As the sites grow, content grows and google promotes them.

Of course, it is all based on rumours. Search engines change the calculation basis fairly often to keep one step ahead of the SEO sharks.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I suspect that the time that your site is picked up is pot luck in effect. My reasoning behind that is that google presumably can't crawl the entire web every day therefore if you assume that it does the whole lot over the space of a month or so, you may be lucky and have your "old" site crawled tomorrow and if it has the link to your "new" site then the new site will be crawled at the same time. On the other hand, if your old site has just been crawled, it could be a month before google gets back to it. I'm assuming here that the old site is a "normal" one that doesn't change every minute like, say, BBC news or similar.

I did notice the delay in positioning but assumed that this was more to do with the number of sites linking to the site rather than whatever keywords it had at the time. It's hard to know really as even people launching a stream of new sites won't be launching identical sites ie comparisons arent' so easy as they might appear to be.

For sure re the content. In reality I suspect that the SEO folk are largely wasting their time trying to hit a moving and, effectively, invisible target. If you keep expanding the content you'll keep going up the rankings regardless of what other "tricks" you try to get up to. The best example I know of this is my Northern Ireland page of a few years back which managed to get a top 10 listing even though I'd just loaded it up, not amended it and hadn't even thought much about keywords. It got there ahead of everything from the BBC to the Tourist Board because it was one single page of some 3000 words of text; of course, these days everyone aims to get nice small targetted pages full of keywords....

Arnold
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Peter! Image

There is a brief article here about Google's crawls of the internet:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... -2555.html

Most of what we think we know about Google comes from observation of course - you would have to be a senior employee to really know how Google works.
Paolo
Lay My Hat