How much extra charge for 25 people in a 3 bedroom house?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
phil_UK

replies

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. The navy guests are here in Pattaya longer than 2 days so they will need a hotel anyway. I would be surprised if anyone would want to sleep on a hard tiled floor when they could sleep more comfortably in a hotel for as little as 8 GBP a night. I could be wrong but I’ll just have to wait and see.

The thing is, Thailand, especially Pattaya is predominantly a singles holiday destination so we can’t/don’t expect too many nice quiet families, unfortunately, lol

Any comments on the 298 GBP We’re charging them for the 2 nights. Is it enough? Too cheap, or what?

Thanks,

Phil
Giddy Goat

Re: replies

Post by Giddy Goat »

phil_UK wrote:I would be surprised if anyone would want to sleep on a hard tiled floor when they could sleep more comfortably in a hotel for as little as 8 GBP a night.
No, you're right Phil, that puts a slightly different complexion on it!

By the same token it indicates that your market there is very different and it might make it hard for any of us without direct experience to comment on the villa rental aspect. :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
phil_UK

Re: replies

Post by phil_UK »

Giddy Goat wrote:
phil_UK wrote:I would be surprised if anyone would want to sleep on a hard tiled floor when they could sleep more comfortably in a hotel for as little as 8 GBP a night.
No, you're right Phil, that puts a slightly different complexion on it!

By the same token it indicates that your market there is very different and it might make it hard for any of us without direct experience to comment on the villa rental aspect. :?
GG, I thought you were being sarcastic at first but after reading all your post I guess you weren’t, :D

I suppose the rental market does differ from country to country but the basic concept is the same so hopefully forum members can offer advice until I learn more and can hopefully do the same in the future.

Phil
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I hope so too Phil - it may just be a question of trial and error though, to begin with. But off the top of my head, the figure you've asked sounds fine to me for what you're offering. It's whetherr it's not enough under the circumstances that I'm unsure about.
Carow

Post by Carow »

Hi Phil - I travelled in Thailand for almost a year(but that was in the late 80's maybe things have changed since then). Your house is very beautiful. I would definately ask for a huge damages deposit with very strict conditions.

You probably know your market and your area better than we do but you must also be aware of the fact that US navy plus Thailand equals "party time".

In my very limited experience, I have already witnessed what two charming ladies on a French holiday can do to a small house in France in the space of one week. I would be extra cautious about what a group of sailors and loads of ladies could accomplish in just two nights in Thailand.

Don't mean to sound like Mother Grundy but take a huge damages deposit. The fact that they are willing to book your place means that they could have been refused elsewhere because of the size and complications of their party
Carow
phil_UK

result

Post by phil_UK »

I just thought I would post the results of the bilk booking and our very first booking the week before which was 6 US navy guys who booked for 4 nights for 360 GBP. They arrived about 7.00pm on the Sunday but had to leave the night before checkout day around 8.00pm on the Wednesday night.

They broke 2 small glasses, damaged the cutlery drawer by opening a bottle on the top of the draw, idiots! Of course we didn’t notice these things until they had gone.

Our next door neighbour told us that on the first day one of them climbed onto the pool pump house roof, then onto the bungalow roof and jumped into the pool!

What a retard, the deep end is only 1.6 metres deep.

The only other problem was they must have had the air con on 24/7 even in the bedrooms. When we came to get the keys and see them off we noticed the air con remotes were set at 17 degrees, it was b****y freezing. They used allowance of electricity for 4 days in just 3. What they used in electricity in one day we would use in one week only using the air con in one bedroom while sleeping.

We didn’t ask for a security deposit then but their T&C stated they were liable for damages although we wouldn’t have charged for the glasses but I would have deducted money for the drawer had I seen it before they left.

The large group. Three of them arrived last Sunday at 5.30pm. there was 2 females in the group and the rest were guys. They also had to leave earlier than expected the following evening around 11.00pm so only stayed about 30 hours in total which I thought was ok for 298 GBP

The female group leader gave me $350 security deposit which I requested in the T&C. When we arrived at 10.30pm before they left there was about 8 guys & 2 girls at the bungalow. They had ordered in food and had tidied the waste away and cleaned up fairly well. I had suggested using disposable plates & plastic cutlery which they did so that kept cleaning & damage down. I provided plastic tumblers which they also used so no glasses broken!

The only damage was a white plastic patio chair which I was told just collapsed when a guy sat on it. That’s probable as months ago an electrician was standing on one to fix something and the chair leg snapped then also. Obviously they were cheap quality rubbish so I didn’t deduct any money. The plastic lid in the top of the fridge was also damaged but it fixed with super glue ok.

The pool was a bit cloudy from having a lot of bodies in it but no big deal I guess. So all in all it was a fairly good booking @ 298 GBP for 30 hours.

Thanks for reading this saga, lol

Phil
la vache!

Re: result

Post by la vache! »

phil_UK wrote: The pool was a bit cloudy from having a lot of bodies in it
:shock: :shock:
Are you sure that is the reason it was cloudy?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Well, things could have been a lot worse Phil. Is there anything you'd approach differently now, or are you still keeping an open mind - it's early days of course.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well, things could have been a lot worse Phil.
GGs right Phil :)
I am soo glad that things worked out for you...... :)
Its all a learning curve and none of us know all the answers we're all learning together.

Take Carexx
Carow

Post by Carow »

:D
Also glad to hear that it worked out for you and well done for going ahead. Just goes to show that you can never tell. I had two lovely ladies in my house for 2 weeks and my housekeeper said they made one hell of a mess.

Nothing broken though, just a huge mess, but it looks like they enjoyed themselves and luckily the house scrubbed up well afterwards.
phil_UK

Re: result

Post by phil_UK »

la vache! wrote:
phil_UK wrote: The pool was a bit cloudy from having a lot of bodies in it
:shock: :shock:
Are you sure that is the reason it was cloudy?
I think so, remember there was only 2 females there. Don't even think about it! lol :lol:

Giddy Goat wrote:Well, things could have been a lot worse Phil. Is there anything you'd approach differently now, or are you still keeping an open mind - it's early days of course.
Yes next time I get a large group asking I'll quote a higher price as i'm sure not everyone would want their booking!

Thanks for your kind words Big sis & Carow. :D Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to do more than one quote. :? {second quote added by admin}

Phil
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Top Tip with a cloudy pool (usually for us it's caused by guests using sun oil) - just put some fairy liquid in and run the pump for a couple of hours :wink:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
phil_UK

Post by phil_UK »

Mouse wrote:Top Tip with a cloudy pool (usually for us it's caused by guests using sun oil) - just put some fairy liquid in and run the pump for a couple of hours :wink:

Mousie
x

Thanks for the tip Mouse

Phil