Hammam Towels - too unconventional?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mouse

Hammam Towels - too unconventional?

Post by Mouse »

Next year I'm going to supply pool towels (for on top of the lounger covers).

Whilst searching for some I came across hammam towels which I recall were offered in a 5* hotel I once stayed in and that I really liked. However they are very different to the usual pool towel and I wondered if people would think them odd (they're like a thin cotton towel).

Here's why I'm thinking of them;

1. Ordinary pool/beach towels are quite thick and become sodden with water then take ages to dry (so you end up lying on a wet towel most of the time) - these take minutes to dry and then you can be comfy again. This is why I liked them in the hotel.
2. They'll take up less space in the washing machine
3. They'll be washed and dried in no time so a quick run-through mid-week would be a breeze, no hanging around waiting for them to dry
4. They'll take up less space to store.

......and finally I think they're quite a stylish alternative.

btw - just incase you don't know what they are like here they are
Opinions? Should I go for it or stick with traditional ones?

Mousie (who would be eternally grateful if someone could tell her how to post small links)
x
Last edited by Mouse on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mousie, I like them too. If I could have got some before I left for France on Thursday, I would have ordered some. I've found some others, but they are much more expensive. What a great idea.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I think it's a great idea! I like them as well :-)
e-richard

Re: Hammam Towels - too unconventional?

Post by e-richard »

Mouse wrote: Mousie (who would be eternally grateful if someone could tell her how to post small links)
Rather than creep, I've sent you a PM on posting short URLs.
I'll sub-edit it and re-post publicly in a more appropriate area.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Failed to find some UK ones, but La Redoute have some, so may order some for delivery when in France.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Mouse

I think you may have a problem with those towels :!:

They are so nice people may take them home. They're absolutely super :!:

Chianti
A-two

Post by A-two »

Mouse,
These are really great for women, who like to use a towel as a sarong. I love them, and would much prefer them, but I sense they may not appeal as much to men, who might find them a bit effeminate. I don't see them working well for a beachfront situation, or laying out on a wooden deck, they are too delicate, but for your more refined set up by the pool, I think they are a very elegant solution. If in doubt, you could go for half and half, rather than 100%.
Last edited by A-two on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think they are lovely and am tempted to get some, but would they be thick enough to add comfort to a sunlounger/beach?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV , La Redoute have some in the sale for 15€.
http://tinyurl.com/58o2sp
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

A2

David Beckham might disagree. He looks great in a sarong, for that matter he looks good in Armani too :lol:

Chianti
A-two

Post by A-two »

Can't speak for Mouse, but unfortunately I have never rented to David Beckham and I don't think any amount of marketing will change that, so I am more concerned about providing what regular folks want, not super stars.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I really like the look of them - go for it mouse.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

thanks for your comments everyone - you've given me the confidence to go ahead and order them...10 should do it (with a couple for spare)

A2/LV - you're right, they're not good for hard surfaces (like pebbles, bare wood etc) but for sand they're fine...however I'm describing them as pool towels (& hope they're not taken to the beach) the idea is they'll work as a barrier to the sun loungers padded covers (so no extra comfort required)

As for men wearing sarongs......Ibiza is full of them :roll: - so should be no problem there...but I do also have 4 velour towels, so I could leave a couple of those out each week for traditionalists.

thanks again...and particularly to e-richard for taking the time to explain links! Did I do well? :D

Mousie (who no longer feels inadequate in the links department :D )
x

p.s. The White Co deliver abroad for anyone who's interested in buying from them
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Am I imagining an earlier thread on towels, which contained several complaints about hotels (in Italy I think?) which supplied thin towels in bathrooms -nobody would call them Hammam towels but I'd say they amount to the same thing?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

They're extremely cool I agree, both Mousie's and Helen's - but wouldn't they be a headache to keep looking clean? I'm thinking suntan creams and fake tan lotions: the colours are very chic, but a bit unforgiving ..... :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be