Full Refund?? Death in the Family

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

Full Refund?? Death in the Family

Post by Musetta »

well...just got an email from a July guest saying his fiance's mother has died and they will now not be travelling (understandably)

T&C's say he would, therefore, forfeit the entire amount paid in advance to date. period. ...but...he actually paid me in full ahead of schedule, so, normally, I would only have half the balance by now anyway - his stay was to be July 24th.

so...am certainly going to give him is 1/2 back...but...it is really, really late for me to rebook for July :-( and I seriously doubt there's a chance I'll fill that week at this point :-( so...do I take the high road and suck up the rental loss and give him all his money back...or do I keep half and start advertising and only give it back if I can rebook the week (or even a portion of it)?

What do you think?
Marks

Post by Marks »

Despite the circumstances I would not refund. Their travel insurance will cover them.

Edit - I have re-read your post and if you would not have had the full payment at this point then I would refund that part. Sorry, it was late last night.........
Last edited by Marks on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Perhaps you could write a message expressing your condolences and offering to send him a cancellation receipt for his travel insurance, and also say that you are sending the still-refundable portion of his rental payment back immediately. That's what I did when we had a similar cancellation a couple of years ago.

If he replies that they don't have travel insurance, then you could explain that you are trying to re-let the week with special offers and perhaps at a discount, and that if you are successful, you will refund the other half of his rental payment (less those advertising/discount costs, if necessary).
Brooke
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

thanks- yes, I think that's what I'll do -and just hope I re-rent the week and everyone's taken care of then. (I doubt he has trip insurance...and I do know he "paid" for his flights from the US to Italy with mileage points, so he wasn't concerned about those costs)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Great advice from Brooke. What a shame and I hope you do find a late booker to fill the slot Musetta. :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Brooke wrote:If he replies that they don't have travel insurance, then you could explain that you are trying to re-let the week with special offers and perhaps at a discount, and that if you are successful, you will refund the other half of his rental payment (less those advertising/discount costs, if necessary).
Yes, that is great advice, Brooke. Just shows the need for travel insurance, doesn't it? And perhaps also a good idea, somewhere in your rental docs, to make absolutely sure you strongly recommend taking out travel insurance...

Fingers crossed, Musetta.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We've returned money to some guests who've been affected by our recent flooding. The sensible ones had covered their risk with insurance but others didn't and faced considerable loss. We could have been hard-hearted and toughed it out but we've relied on guests' honesty to tell us whether they've been covered or not - and responded accordingly. Sometimes, events are not your fault but they are your responsibility.

With any business, when things are going well and the money's rolling in, it's just like shelling peas. It's important not to lose sight of other peoples' problems as well as your own when the going gets tough.

Jim
A-two

Post by A-two »

Oh no, bad luck! At this point, I think it's more important to empathize with their situation than talk to them in terms of "settling" and $ and cents, as that really isn't where their head is right now.

The first thing I would do is offer to exchange the dates for any time during the next 12 months, and there's no need to let you know the new dates now, whenever they are ready. I have done that in the past and it has been much appreciated, even by those with travel insurance who could get a 100% refund. The important thing to remember is that they are losing a much anticipated vacation through a sudden family loss, and the fact that you are suggesting it is not lost after all, but only postponed, will be a comfort to them at this difficult time, even if they don't take you up on it ultimately.

Of course, I would also confirm that you are happy to refund the 50% as per the booking terms if they decide not to exchange rental dates, that the dates are now back on the market for rent and you will of course let them know if successfully re-rented for the full amount. As well, that you can provide whatever documentation and receipts may be required for their travel insurance.

However, I wouldn't be in a hurry to cut the check - the whole situation is going to be rather overwhelming and fluid for them right now, and depending on when this happened, they could be in the middle of funeral arrangements and need some time to resolve what is really a somewhat peripheral issue.

So the position I would take is one of appreciation that they have taken the time to let you know in a timely fashion, and that you are available to help them sort it out when they are over the immediate crisis and ready to decide how they want to deal with it. Right now, they probably can't even begin to think about it, even if they can remember your booking terms and conditions, let alone, get their hands on a copy. So I wouldn't try and push - let them set the pace - let them know you are there when they are ready to sort it out.

That approach has worked for me on the very few occasions when it has cropped up.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

What you've said is so true A2 and an important point to bear in mind. The (later) mention of the possibility of an exchange is an excellent idea. Thanks for that one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Great advice. Next time I have a situation like this (though I hope I don't), I will offer an exchange as well. I have done that before for some clients, but never when there was a death in the family.
Brooke