Travel Insurance for your Guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
debk

Travel Insurance for your Guests

Post by debk »

The issue of travel insurance shows up from time to time but I can't find a topic devoted to it just now... so I thought I'd start one and on a positive note at that!

Yesterday was my "monthly mailing day" when I send out complimentary maps, etc, to upcoming guests. Here's a response that I received this morning:
Thank you very much. There will now be only my wife and I for the week, and [our adult son] for three nights. My brother and his wife cannot come as she has been diagnosed with Lymphoma and is unfit to travel. They were, of course, insured. We are looking forward to our visit. Regards,
Such a sad note to receive. The "they were, of course, insured" threw me for a second (since they weren't cancelling). Then I had some more caffeine and realized that the families were obviously sharing the cost of the house.

Our website says "Please consider purchasing travel insurance for protection against losses due to emergency change-of-plans." How do other people handle this? Do you post links to travel insurance companies? If so, which ones?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We have a bit about how we strongly advise our clients to purchase travel insurance -- in our contract and all of our payment receipts, as well as on our website.

We don't suggest companies, though... since we're not affiliated with any companies it didn't seem right to advocate for one or the other.

How much does travel insurance cost, anyway?
Brooke
debk

Post by debk »

I like the idea of adding a note to our invoices. Thanks!

Somewhere I read that insurance costs around $200 for an average vacation. Whatever that is. And I don't know what it covers. Hopefully, someone will enlighten us... else we'll have to dig ourselves. Too hot to do so now!
debk
Marion

Post by Marion »

I put this line in at the start of the contract/invoice in red type:

You must take out holiday insurance not only to cover yourself against loss or accidents but also to cover against accidental damage to the owner’s property.

It sounds a bit draconian, but seems to work as we have had two cancellations and they both had insurance, so no hassle re the rental re-imbursement.

We used to take out an annual insurance for multi-trips to Europe with the Post Office. This cost about £120 or so, I think.
see http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/home

Marion
debk

Post by debk »

Thanks, Marion. That's certainly straight to the point. I rather like it.

And your numbers are in line with what I've heard discussed... very helpful indeed!
debk
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

The following online broker does a single trip insurance for £19.45 or an unlimited multi-trip insurance (both family cover - up to 3 children) for only £68.08 which includes winter sports up to 17 days' cover:

quotelinedirect.co.uk/main/index.asp

They are cheap because you have to print out all your own forms etc, but it works. I've used them and unfortunately was obliged to claim when my son decided to concuss himself on a skiing trip. The helicopter to hospital cost €3000 - the insurance paid out, thank goodness, or we'd have been bankrupt!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Marion wrote:I put this line in at the start of the contract/invoice in red type:

You must take out holiday insurance not only to cover yourself against loss or accidents but also to cover against accidental damage to the owner’s property.
Do you enforce this? If so how?
Waves from America
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Joanna, I'm not sure how either, I know tour ops booking forms ask you to state your insurer if you don't take theirs, but they don't ask for a copy of your policy or anything.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Basically, if they damage your property and it is not covered by the deposit, you have to sue them. It is irrelevant whether they are covered by insurance, but you are more likely to get redress if they are!
Marion

Post by Marion »

Joanna,

No, I don't actually enforce it as so far I have not had much of a problem. My property is only a 1 bedroom apartment so there is not much damage that they can do (fingers crossed). I just make sure that they are aware they need insurance. I also have other terms and conditions in the contract and state that payment of the deposit means that they agree with them.

It's difficult to know where to draw the line, I already feel that my terms and conditions sound very alarming, although no where near the complexity of those that we had when we once used Interhome.

Marion