Article: How to get quality inbound links to your site

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
paolo

Article: How to get quality inbound links to your site

Post by paolo »

Article:
How to get quality inbound links to your site (part I)

The two most important factors in determining your position in the search engine rankings are:
a) the content of your site;
b) the number and quality of inbound links to your site.

An inbound link is when another site links to yours. Search engines like this because it means someone thinks your site is worth linking to. It’s like a vote for your site. The more votes you get, the more relevant your site must be, and the higher it will feature in search engine results.

Because everybody wants links to get their sites up there in the search engines, one great way to get them is to suggest a reciprocal link to a relevant site – that means I link to you if you link to me.

What does ‘relevant’ mean? ‘Relevant’ means something that might be useful to your guests. So restaurants, tourist attractions, local bodies, shops, recreational facilities, etc.

As far as the search engines are concerned, a link is more relevant if it is in the same industry. So travel-related sites will be worth most to you. Leisure-related is also good.

Here’s how you can get relevant sites linking to yours.

1. Find relevant sites
Use a search engine to look for relevant sites in your area. ‘Relevant’ means something that might be useful to your guests. So restaurants, tourist attractions, local bodies, shops, recreational facilities, etc.

Supposing your property is near the town of Bonneville. Type in search terms like ‘Bonneville restaurants’, ‘Bonneville golf course’, ‘Bonneville tourism’. And see if the places you already know of in town have websites.

If Bonneville has an official website it will probably have links to many local businesses’ own sites. These are all good linking targets if they might be useful to one of your guests.

2. Make a list
Make a list of your target sites for Bonneville, and then extend to other towns nearby, and your region/department/county/state as a whole.

3. See what others are doing
One of the joys of the internet is that you can see what people are up to. Not only can you read a site’s source code, but you can see a site’s inbound links. So another way to find good linking targets is to see what other owners like you are up to.

The sites with the most inbound links are likely to be higher in the search engine rankings. These are the sites you want to examine for inbound links. So type into a search engine a search term to find a home like yours and see which ones come up. Note that unless you use a very detailed phrase you will first have to wade through lots of rental listing sites before you come to individual owners’ sites. When you do get to them, copy the url (address of the site).

Now go to a search engine called www.alltheweb.com and type in the following: link:, replacing [url] with the url of a sit ... count.com/

It will tell you what are the most frequently used words on a site, and you can also do a side-by-side comparison with your site.

Copyright Paolo De Paolis 2004

Part 2 of this article will look at getting links from directories (these can be the best links) and other sources on the internet.

I’ll give you one good tip now. If you post on this forum, make sure you include your site’s url in your signature – that is a link right there, and from a very relevant source.

You can add a url to your signature by logging in, clicking on Profile, and filling in the 'Signature' box. Your url will be made into a clickable link whenever you post.

Any questions and comments on this, post away beneath this article. :)
Last edited by paolo on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
BungleBob

I hate links pages!

Post by BungleBob »

Good article... BUT (you knew that was coming! :wink: )... I'd like to pick up the point on creating a "links" page.

Although this is the most common way for people to do link exchanges, it's a HORRIBLE way of doing it. Links pages tend to become huge lists which don't offer much benefit to anybody...

1) The link benefit is minimal
Most engines, especially Google, use the number of links on a page as a guide to its usefulness. Thus the more links on a page, the less important each one is.

2) Links pages don't drive traffic
Because they can become increasingly "packed", the chances of anybody actually clicking links on these lists is almost zero.

If there's no chance of traffic from a links page, then it's probably only there to optimise for search engines - expressly forbidden by Google!

Instead of a links page, take a more open approach to link partnerships. Put your partners in places that might be more relevant to their product/service AND which your visitors might want to click!

E.g. recommend a car hire and flights firm on your reservation form. Advertise a restaurant on the page you have about the local area.

Ask partners to do the same for you and you get a double-whammy... New visitors from your partners AND higher search rankings.
Richard Speigal, Editor, España Breaks
paolo

Post by paolo »

Absolutely right, Richard, thanks for the improvements.

Links pages do tend to be horrible. I was trying to make it as simple as possible and I made it too simple. Weaving links in to your pages in a relevant way is much better.

Always a good rule of thumb when you are trying to give your site a boost in the rankings is to ask yourself "Would I do this if there were no search engines?" If the answer is no, don't do it!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
BungleBob

Good call...

Post by BungleBob »

That's very sound advice. Being utterly honest, we all have to do links with the engines in mind. I suppose the rule is not to keep search engines at the TOP of your mind!

Good article,

Rich
Richard Speigal, Editor, España Breaks
helen

links

Post by helen »

I have to thank both Paolo and Richard for making me aware that it is links that get you ranked and not search engine submission and considering that sales pitch from a professional website designer had almost convinced me to pay in excess of £250 per annum to have a site maintained and submitted to the search engines I am now getting on with the 'links' suggestions given on the forum.
Most grateful
Helen
www.abersochholidays.co.uk
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

SEO is a pain ... Search Engine Optimization is a huge business that for our market is really not too necessary. There are lots of people whose entire job now is to set up a feeder site which has no real purpose other than to sell Google Adwords advertising. So, they put tons of links from other worthless links pages to their worthless page and get huge rankings. To complete with these people is very difficult especially if your vacation rental is in a very popular place that has already been saturated with web marketers.

My theory is to make your site professional and filled with relevant content which makes it not only a place for people to reserve your rental but also learn about your location. Therefore, you should be able to bring people to your site who might not be then looking to rent but who may become interested in your place.

That said, if someone relevant does want to exchange links (through your contact or theirs) then find a way to do it in a way that sticks with the theme of your site because it does work to get your PR up there.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I disagree that SEO is not important for our market. It may not be as competitive of a market as some others, but in many ways that makes it more important.

Most people are going to find us through search engines, and in this market a smaller website actually has a good chance of achieving high rankings for second-tier keywords.

Methods of SEO are not set in stone, and I believe it's not always effective to set up a page with hundreds of links. Google is wise to many tricks people try to use, as BungleBob mentioned.

That being said, I think you're exactly right, Rich, about filling your site with professional and relevant content. But I think that's a part of SEO as well as meta tags, page titles, and link exchanges.

Cheers!
Brooke