Swimming Pool robot cleaner

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Renaud

Swimming Pool robot cleaner

Post by Renaud »

Anyone else use a 'pool robot'? By 'robot' I mean the independently electrically powered little machine that trundles around your pool collecting dirt and debris into its own filter bag.

I'm on my second one, having worked the first one to an early grave!

I spent a good part of last season without one, as the first expired part way through. Never again!

The new one seems to be a worthwhile improvement. It has a cut-out that stops it cleaning after about 2 hours. The lack of this is what overworked the previous model.

Last year I used much more chemical than previously (although I'm sure this was partly due to the stormy weather we had then). Because you are collecting dirt etc. directly into the pool robot and then taking it straight out of the pool, there is less 'muck' going into the filter, and continuing to use up your chlorine.

The saving in effort is very much appreciated. I can put the robot in, and then get on with other pool maintenance etc.
Definitely a boon on changeover days!

A bit difficult sometimes if you've guests who 'live' in the pool, as you can't safely let them swim while the robots in the water.
Also guests are very impressed, and realise I take pool cleaning seriously.

Thet are not cheap. But if you factor in a saving in chemicals then its more reasonable.

And as for opening the pool....my attitude now is: no robot, no pool!

Anyone else using one?
enid

Post by enid »

This our third year with our pool and the second with clients but the first with a robot - changed my life - well Kevin's really as he does the pool water maintenace - I'm the surrounds girl! We did keep the pool clean last year but had to sweep and net every morning and perhaps in the afternoon too. As you say with the robot we are free to do other jobs. We put the robot on for a couple of hours early morning and that seems to be sufficient. It is an outlay but we are trying to work to as easy maintenance site as possible - well we are getting on a bit!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Which robots do you have and how much do they cost?
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

The new model is labelled 'Typhoon', and was purchased from Zyke, who have 6 or so large outlets for pool stuff in S.W. France.
It was advertised at 1400 euros, but early in the season was on offer with 10% off, hence 1260 euros. It has a 4 year (or 500 clean cycles) guarantee.
When researching these devices originally I noticed that there was a wide range in the claimed minimum particle that the filter bag would collect. You need to look for a model that claims to filter down to 2 microns. At this size it will be able to collect algae.
Last year, mainly 'sans robot', was a real fight to keep down the algae, particularly with lots of storms. Sometimes, even if the pool looks free of algae, there might be a very fine layer starting to multiply that you can't yet see. But after a clean the filter bag has definite signs of that greeny/mustardy tinge that is algae. Problem is therefore hit hard at the outset, and the normal anti-algae/choc treatment/floculant battle can be put of till a later date.
enid

Post by enid »

Ours is a Polaris and cost just under €600 - it is working well for us but it is the firsr summer with it.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Renaud,
if you have algae problems, try PoolRX, I've been using it for over 2 months and not had any algae, whereas in previous years it has been a struggle to keep the pool clean. As there is no algae, I only have to spend about 3 hrs per week in total vacuuming out the dirt/grass (every other day) and find it manageable and also quite enjoyable! It also means that the pool is available for the guests to use earlier in the morning.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi.I don't use one at the rental house but I have one at mine- a Polaris,it's in its 6th season,and beginning to slow down ( I empathise :wink: ).I intend to replace it as it's absolutely brill! I couldn't have one at the other house as I'm not on site.

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I too have a Polaris, driven by water pressure not electricity. It's OK for picking up leaves, dead flies, etc. from the bottom of the pool but that's about all. Its mesh filter is far too course to have any effect on algae, dead or alive. I stopped using it last year and don't miss it one little bit. For me, a net and a vacuum are much more convenient and no more time taking than installing and removing the Polaris.

By keeping the Ph and chlorine levels correct I have had no problems with algae over the last six years. No chlorine smells and no eye or skin problems. Even the three cats drink from the pool.

I use chlorine multi-function tablets all the time and occasionally give a chlorine shock and/or anti-algae + floc treatment. In any one year I will use approx. 15 kg multi-function, 5 kg chlorine shock, 2 litres anti-algae, 1 litre floc. That really doesn't add up to a significant cost, does it?

I honestly have no problems keeping my pool crystal clear using simple, well-tried methods. I don't even use a cover, summer or winter. Perhaps I am just lucky but I think it is down to proper regular maintenance. I do of course live on site.

If I was to spend any more money on the pool it would be to install a solar powered heating system.

Alan
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

Susan, I don't really have an algae 'problem'. My main point with regard to algae and pool cleaning robots is that algae (which will try to establish itself in any outdoor pool) is more easily controlled.

The PoolRX product certainly looks interesting. This was mentioned on another thread here, where some people seemed of the opinion that it was available in france. However, though searches on Google do throw up some results, actually finding someone in france who actually claims to stock this product ....And then, of course, trying to actually find out the cost!! Well, thats just going to be another round of "Please e-mail for a price, and we won't actually answer you!" Been there....not going there again!

So can anyone give details of a supplier in France that actually has this product, and its price, and if they will deliver it?
enid

Post by enid »

I swam this morning and the temp had dropped to 22 as we had a heavy mist this morning - I love it at this temp but I know I am in a minority and the guests would certainly like it higher - with temps set to soar to 30 today I know it will rise but it would be good to have the capability to boost the temp. I would like to invest in a solar heating system. We did ask for a quote from a local company but they never came back and we didn't pursue as that didn't seem very efficient. Any tips for providers?
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

enid, I have installed a solar heating system on one pool. Its not too difficult to do yourself. But if you want someone else to install it be prepared for a high price! Installers, in my experience, rely on peoples ignorance to inflate the price. Even if you aren't doing the job yourself its invaluable to be well informed when you call in the 'expert'. Playing the part of 'innocent and uninformed' consumer when the 'expert' calls is always a good way of finding out who the 'bull****' merchants are!!
If you're in no hurry then I will try and make a post at sime time to detail my knowledge. I am currently looking at all heating methods again, as I wish to add heating to the second pool.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Renaud,

Yes, the cost of buying and installing commercial solar panels, with the associated pipes and valves, can be very expensive.

In a warmish climate, e.g. Southern France, the area of the panels should be equal to between 50% and 75% of the square footage of the pool. In a cooler climate, e.g. Northern France, the area should be between 75% and 100% of the square footage of the pool. If one wants to maintain heating even in the cold months the area should be 150% of the square footage of the pool. That's a lot and is it really worth it?

Two or three of my neighbours have installed their own solar heating by using black plastic "arrosage" pipes and joints. The cost of materials was drastically reduced and, since they did the work themselves, they have finished up with very effective systems at a fraction of the normal price.

Although it is tempting to think "the warmer the better" it should be noted that medical authorities recommend an optimum temperature of 27°C (78°F) for recreational swimming. It should also be noted that the higher the temperature the greater the use of chlorine will be and the higher the chances are of algae developing.

Where are you based and do you have a website? You haven't posted either in your profile.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I am reviving this thread, at the risk of showing what an idiot I am - we are absentee owners, so had to provide a system for keeping the pool clean between visits by the caretakers - hence a Polaris. The Polaris is on a timer, and is set to do its thing at night. We were given to understand however that if removed from the pool, the Polaris would burn itself out and the pool would gradually empty. Is this a gross exaggeration? I know that some people would prefer not to have its company while they swim, even though it will obediently stay in a corner, minding its own business. My fear is that if you allow guests to remove it during the day, they may not remember to replace it before they close the pool up for the night.

Suggestions please?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

We have a polaris - if you take it out of the pool you have to disconnect it or it acts as a syphon - so it stays in or your guests unscrew it and then screw it back again (when you come to house sit we can show you what we mean)
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have a polaris too. We try to remove it before the guests swim but sometimes it isn't possible at the other site. I certainly wouldn't be without it, but it is the only robot we've ever had, so perhaps there are better.

If you take it out of the water you need to turn the robot pump off otherwise you get the syphon efect.