Wood or plastic?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>

What type of sunloungers do you have?

Plastic
73%
Wood
18%
Metal frame, with fabric
9%
No lounging! Make them stand, or get in the pool.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Renaud

Wood or plastic?

Post by Renaud »

What are other peoples views on pool loungers? Specifically, I'm interested in peoples experience with wood sunloungers, typically the teak or other exotic wood types.

My thoughts are that the wood ones look much better, and give a more 'luxurious' look to the pool area. But then, considering the prices I have seen, this should be expected!!

Anyone any experiences with appearance in the longer term?
And what about durability? Given the bulk of some visitors they would need to be pretty sturdy.

In particular I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had plastic ones in the past.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We have had wooden sunloungers with matresses for the last 2 years. Not one has broken. The first year here we had plastic ones and the majority had been broken by the end of September. Advantages of wooden ones -they last and don't break, even when children jump on them, also they look nicer than plastic. Disadvantages, they cost a lot, and need re-painting every year. Overall I think it is a worthwhile investment, I'm expecting them to last quite a few years!
enid

Post by enid »

Ditto from me. My neighbour has had plastic loungers that didn't break quickly but she paid a lot for them. Our wooden loungers and wooden terrace furniture are greatly appreciated and do add that touch of luxury. They need a teak oil treatment once a year but it's only as arduous as cleaning the plastic and much more satisfying - they come up like new. You can get some good prices - look, out for the promotions if you are in France. I agree with Susan that they are a good investment .
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

If care of the environment is a factor then timber is much better if it comes from sustainable sources. Otherwise, buying plastic is better for the environment (contrary to popular misconception) than having loungers from old growth forests.

Careful, when buying cheap timber loungers they may be from the developing world and from Old Growth.

PS Do not assume product from China is old growth ... they have picked up their game in recent years.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

I had to revert back to plastic type deck-chairs as the wooden ones were problematic due to high maintanance etc. The effects of the fierce sun, wind and chlorine were too much of a problem.
The dining furniture was ok, but only due to the fact that it was in a sheltered position, unlike the deck-chairs, always in the sun and very close to the pool and always drenched in chlorine treated water.
As for price, a good quality plastic chair is not that much cheaper than a wooden one.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

My personal preference is for wood, because it looks better and I think plastic becomes discoloured and 'dirty' looking after a while. I'm not sure how weather resistant wood is though - do you take the furniture in through the winter, or is it enough to treat it each spring?
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Anything wood here in Spain is expensive...so it's been plastic for us! Plastic deckchairs are cheap and easy to maintain and replace.

We have a wooden patio set and every year I have to teak oil it to maintain the look. The sun really dries the wood and changes the colour dramatically..so wooden deck chairs are definitely out of the question..would be a back breaking job keeping them looking nice!