toddlers in pool - hygeine

For anything to do with the garden and pool
mitsi

toddlers in pool - hygeine

Post by mitsi »

We have 2 gites that share the pool. This week the guests include an 18 month old. We've never had the problem before, but the parents allowed him in without anything more than trunks - i.e no waterproof nappy type protection. the other guests have rightly complained, parents don't seem overly bothered, but said they will shop for some.
Is it just me or should it be obvious to all parents of young children using a shared pool to have these basics. as far as I can recall, the guests in the past have always had these swimmer things.
If I had to put up all the do's and don't's I'd need a huge folder to put them in. But these people seem to have no common sense - not just this problem but ever since they arrived - but that's another story.!
Sorry rent over.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I would have thought when sharing a pool consideration for others is paramount and I don't hink you're unreasonable in pointing it out, nor the other guests for complaining.
If I had to put up all the do's and don't's I'd need a huge folder to put them in
I can empathise with that and the lack of common sense sometimes gets me down!
It's the small things you don't think you have to mention because its common sense stuff, and you don't want to mention because you'd have a huge list of do's and dont's around the place.

Over the years I'm having to mention things like hair dye and towels, not putting plastic items in the dishwasher, not putting anything down toilets other than loo paper, not having unaccompanied children on the roof terrace........I could go on, and on, and on :lol:

We had a new one the other week...leaving childrens toys in the pool all the time so that they end up getting stuck in the skimmers when the pool filter comes on. Then the parents try and force them out through the flaps, breaking them in the process, instead of picking them out through the access point on the top. That's cost us a bit this year.

You wonder where to stop :roll:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

As the mother of a two year old, I think you and your guests are being precious about the issue.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Do you know if the child normally wears nappies? If they have already been potty trained (which is possible in an 18 month old) then I certainly wouldnt expect them to wear swim nappies.

In any case swim nappies are not much use. If a child poos in them and you don't notice immediately then you get the dreaded "brown cloud" and the pool has to be shut anyway.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree the nappies are useless and in fact they probably tend to encourage young children to go in them whereas my son has never worn them and has never had an accident of either kind in the pool.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

There was something 'on telly' about the age for full potty training now being 3+ years - and then before you know it they become teenagers.

I think you probably ought to worry about the little boys peeing in the pool as well. :wink:

Bobby
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

la vache! wrote:As the mother of a two year old, I think you and your guests are being precious about the issue.
I agree, when mine were that small swim nappies didn't exist. You had no option but to take them swimming in just a pair of trunks.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

well you learn something new every day!

'childless' mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Bobby wrote:There was something 'on telly' about the age for full potty training now being 3+ years -
What utter tosh! It may be that many parents choose the convinience of disposable nappies for as long as possible, but many children are out long before then.

My little one was fully trained by 2, and in nursery 2 weeks later (nothing like a bit of insentive!:))
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My son has just become 'propre' (nearly 2 and a half), but winter born kids are often a bit longer and it is easier to toilet train in the summer when it is warm enough for children to go without many clothes on. Olly has spent most of the summer running around the garden with nothing on his lower half because he can take his pants and trousers off, but not put them on. I haven't had any complaints...yet.
olive

Post by olive »

It never occurred to me that someone would put a child of 2 in an adult pool. What a crazy idea! Infants are happy in a small rubber pool and any accidents they might have will have no effect on other swimmers . The idea of having a "brown cloud" in my beautifully pristine pool is nearly painful.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Put them in terry nappies, and they will soon decide they wish to use the potty.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

olive wrote:It never occurred to me that someone would put a child of 2 in an adult pool. What a crazy idea! Infants are happy in a small rubber pool and any accidents they might have will have no effect on other swimmers . The idea of having a "brown cloud" in my beautifully pristine pool is nearly painful.
But they don't! I have babies from the age of 3 months in my pool and in 7 years there has never been a 'brown cloud'. It isn't crazy at all, the earlier young children get used to swimming the better. My daughter was swimming without armbands by the age of 4, largely thanks to us having a swimming pool.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sons were swimming before they were at school, thanks to regular trips to the pool. Splashing around in a paddling pool would have done no good at all.
Ju

Post by Ju »

olive wrote:It never occurred to me that someone would put a child of 2 in an adult pool. What a crazy idea! Infants are happy in a small rubber pool and any accidents they might have will have no effect on other swimmers . The idea of having a "brown cloud" in my beautifully pristine pool is nearly painful.
But why on earth should a 2 year old be happy in a little inflatable pool when they can jump in the big pool with their sisters?

I am very pleased that my guests do not need to worry about whether or not their children are welcome in the pool or not. They are members of the family just like any other.