toddlers in pool - hygeine

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I think this is all very ageist - what about the other end of the family spectrum, with ancient rellies - do we ban them from our pools?

MG
olive

Post by olive »

"I am very pleased that my guests do not need to worry about whether or not their children are welcome in the pool or not"

children???

I think my guests are like me : they seem to assume that big, deep pools are not for infants (in nappies....!).
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

But why on earth should a 2 year old be happy in a little inflatable pool when they can jump in the big pool with their sisters?

I am very pleased that my guests do not need to worry about whether or not their children are welcome in the pool or not. They are members of the family just like any other.
Totally agree I love to see the children[especially the little ones ] making use of the pool....... the earlier the better.. :wink:
J&J

Post by J&J »

I think Bobby is probably referring to the recent report showing that many infants are not fully potty trained at three years old. It is in fact true, with a number of nurseries reporting that these days they are having to teach the children who arrive in their care all about toilet habits.
As for the pool issue, children of all ages pee in the pool, the nappy protection serves very little purpose.

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Well this is a mixed bag if ever I saw one! Whichever side of the issue we may be on, we each have to be sensitive to guest complaints because rightly or wrongly, that's how they feel. personally, I do not believe that other people's children are members of my family, and I don't particularly want to be swimming in my own child's waste products either. I don't believe the 18 month old is potty trained already, or the parents would not have volunteered to get a swim nappy. How do public swimming pools handle this issue?
Last edited by A-two on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A-two wrote:Also, the parent of the 18 month old would not have volunteered to get a swim nappy if the child was already potty trained. How do public swimming pools handle this issue?
Most public pools in France have the chemical that turns purple as soon as someone pees, so they can be ordered out. And men have to wear trunks, shorts not permitted.
J&J

Post by J&J »

LV, I think it's best not to know!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
pete

Post by pete »

And men have to wear trunks, shorts not permitted.
I think it's best not to know!!
do tell ???
olive

Post by olive »

I've never seen infants in a public pool. I imagine that they are not allowed to use them. Any other policy would be irresponsable.
The idea of a 2 year old jumping into an adult pool strikes me as inherently ridiculous, above all from the point of view of the safety of the small child.
Pools are dangerous; they are not a toy.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

la vache! wrote:Most public pools in France have the chemical that turns purple as soon as someone pees, so they can be ordered out.
Sounds fun. Do you know where we can buy this stuff ?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Richard D wrote:
la vache! wrote:Most public pools in France have the chemical that turns purple as soon as someone pees, so they can be ordered out.
Sounds fun. Do you know where we can buy this stuff ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine-indicator_dye

Rubbish, this is an urban myth, which used to be spread about the UK too. If the chemical reacted with urine, it would probably react with sweat too. Proof requested please.
I've seen children in public pools on many occasions. That is how they learn to swim and not to be afraid of water.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I've never seen infants in a public pool. I imagine that they are not allowed to use them. Any other policy would be irresponsable.
The idea of a 2 year old jumping into an adult pool strikes me as inherently ridiculous, above all from the point of view of the safety of the small child.
Pools are dangerous; they are not a toy.
I am sorry Olive, it is your comment that appears to be ridiculous.
Have you never heard of 'mother and baby' classes - these are encouraged in the UK, and probably France too.
Most supermarkets stock Huggies swimming nappies for this very purpose, but the babies/infants must wear swimming costumes as well as the nappy.

If you are still not convinced - just Google 'mother & baby swimming'
olive

Post by olive »

"Have you never heard of 'mother and baby' classes - these are encouraged in the UK, and probably France too. "

Yes, of course. These are strictly supervised classes for toddlers which bear no relation to the idea that toddlers would be jumping into public pools with crowds of teenagers & adults.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A-two wrote:Well this is a mixed bag if ever I saw one! Whichever side of the issue we may be on, we each have to be sensitive to guest complaints because rightly or wrongly, that's how they feel. personally, I do not believe that other people's children are members of my family, and I don't particularly want to be swimming in my own child's waste products either. I don't believe the 18 month old is potty trained already, or the parents would not have volunteered to get a swim nappy. How do public swimming pools handle this issue?
But surely, if you book accommodation with a pool shared with others, you must accept that other peoples children will be using it?
Small amounts of urine (which is sterile when it leaves the body anyway) will be dealt with by the pool chemicals.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

olive wrote:"Have you never heard of 'mother and baby' classes - these are encouraged in the UK, and probably France too. "

Yes, of course. These are strictly supervised classes for toddlers which bear no relation to the idea that toddlers would be jumping into public pools with crowds of teenagers & adults.
But families of all ages use public pools all the time.