Where are you listed ... and how do you know?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Christine Kenyon

Where are you listed ... and how do you know?

Post by Christine Kenyon »

A request .... is there a simple tool which lets you know all the websites which your website is listed on?

I'm asking because we are about to buy a second holiday cottage with the website and domain name. The purchase process has been a bit of an uphill struggle so I'm not anticipating any help from the current owner with regard to the website. As the contact details will change I need to identify all the sites where the cottage website is listed. Is there an easy way of doing this apart from just typing in your domain name and seeing what comes up? Or is it just that simple?

Apologies if this is a "thicko" query. I'm a real non-techie :shock: .
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hi Christine,

Couple of ways you can do this with Google ....

1 - type in the domain name in speech marks ie, "www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk" then search. This only shows sites that contain the actual term www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk.

2 - type this in google search ... link:www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk .... this only shows the listed sites that link to your domain.

Basically, neither are infallible though!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Christine,

I think what you are looking for here is not where your new website is listed but where the cottage itself is listed. Anywhere that links to the site just links to the site - change the contact details on the site and you are OK. Will there be places where your website is listed along with contact details? Not sure there would be.

To find out where the cottage is advertised, I would search on Google for the phone number in quote marks, the name of previous owner in quote marks, or the name of the cottage in quote marks. You can refine the last two searches by adding a word that will definitely be on the page, such as the name of the village.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

The search engines have a "link" function. Google seems to return much fewer links than Yahoo. (27 v 592 for http://www.laymyhat.com ).

You can use this site : http://www.linkpopularity.com to run reports.

Another interesting solution is to download Copernic ( http://www.copernic.com/ ) and key in your URL.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Tony, Paolo and Peter - and thank you for a speedy and helpful response. I am now on the case!

Paolo, there are some sites which don't just link to your website but do include your contact details. The now-famous scb site is one of them!

Thank you everyone. Hope you're enjoying living in Italy, Tony.