Enquirers who want to view the property

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

Enquirers who want to view the property

Post by harcourtv57 »

Today we have had an enquiry for next July for the house - however, the enquirer lives locally and is enquiring on behalf of his family who are coming to a wedding and he wants to view the property. :? We have had this a few times before and in the early days spent time showing people round but it never resulted in a booking. So we stopped offering this. The last lot who wanted to view wanted 2 weeks this July and we said no to the viewing and they booked anyway. So don't want to appear unfriendly and can see that they may want reassurance before booking, but its a bit inconvenient unless they can visit when we are doing a changeover.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Why not explain that a viewing can only be done on a changeover day...any requests to view ours has to be then because we usually have back2back bookings throughout the season.
No-one seems to mind and although it looks like a pigsty (unless they turn up when everythings done...in which case I'd be asking them to take their shoes off!) they can get an appreciation of the quality, space and layout.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I think I will offer this - that way we will be there anyway even if it is in upheaval! The only slight reservation I have is letting people know the location of a house that may not always be occupied - these days you can't be too careful!

P.S. Mouse - thanks for the other info you sent me - v useful - am currently working through it x
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

we had someone recently who was interested in booking for 3 weeks in November for her family from Japan. Our flat is fairly near to her own home, so she wanted to see what we could offer.

Luckily we had a gap in bookings so I was able to show her both flats and she loved them and has booked for the 3 weeks in the upper flat - which is great for us.

I gave her a fairly hefty discount but it worked well for both of us - November is probably my quietest month so I count myself lucky to get a 3 weeker. But if was definitely the fact that she was able to see the place and satisfy herself that I wasn't a fly by night that cinched the deal. so if you can do, i would.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The only slight reservation I have is letting people know the location of a house that may not always be occupied - these days you can't be too careful!
ah yes I can understand that. Ask him for contact details to maybe put your mind at ease - I'm sure he'd understand if he's legit.
thanks for the other info you sent me - v useful - am currently working through it x
No probs - glad to help! And I was only thinking about you today as I was out and about trying to find a shady spot for lunch...the island is heaving!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I do give out the address (usually though they just want to see it on google street view!) but I do not show it...too much bother, in all honesty. I don't have that extra time on change-over days to be showing a house to someone who is considering booking a week...it books anyway to people who do not need to be shown in ;-) Only exception I made was for a Spanish guest who was booking for a few weeks...and he showed up to see it and make sure his wife would approve (while he was over in NY on business) and paid me cash in advance for the booking :-) so...worked out well! I did know he was serious though and not just being nosey...and it was a vacant week, so I had the time...and he did say he would be paying if all was ok ;-) and he did.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Mmmm its difficult - they only want a week and its in peak season anyway so not desperate for the booking - but feel a bit mean saying no.
West Coast Cottage

Post by West Coast Cottage »

We also have had a few people ask to see the cottage prior to booking. We don't live on-site and are not comfortable giving out the address to someone who hasn't booked, but we did give in once to someone during our first year of renting. Our property manager went to meet her at the cottage and she never showed up. Two days later, our guests told us that there was a woman wandering around the property and sitting on the (private!) dock admiring the views! It turned out to be the woman who wanted to view the cottage. She didn't care that other people were renting the place and "just wanted to look around". :?

Since then we never give in to requests to view the place and we don't give out the address except to those with confirmed bookings.