sign of the times?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mouse

sign of the times?

Post by Mouse »

I've had 3 enquiries in the last week for summer (peak) 2010.

All 3 have been for more than I accommodate (8 people) and none of them have suggested that they pay for the 'extra' people they're proposing can inhabit the villa.

Today though I received an enquiry that I felt really took the biscuit (and alright, it's August, I'm fed up and had just come in from a day of trying to persuade an Ibicencan hotel owner to allow me to take a half starved kitten to the vets).

The enquiry was for 11 staying for 3 weeks and as our accommodation is for 8. I replied as such;

Blah, blah blah....then:
I'd be more than happy to provide additional information, answer any questions you have and point you in the direction of more photos - however before I do can I just query the fact that you're enquiring for a holiday for 11 but our villa actually only takes upto 8 (whatever the configueration) so I don't think it would be suitable for your group number stated.

He replied:
thanks for your speedy response - in terms of our numbers and based on previous holidays we have taken as a family in a villa, 4 bedrooms would suffice.
Myself and my wife would take one room (the biggest) - we have a 2 year old and will have all being well an infant (9months) by next summer and assumed we could get in the one room
My mother in law would need another room (my father in law would be popping out sporadically and so when he is not around my mother in law would be able to accomodate one of her grandkids)
My sis in law would have another room with her 2 young kids (3 & 6)
My bro in law would take the other room with his wife (no kids
)

On top of this is he actually had the temerity to ask for a discount :shock: :shock:

It took me a nano second to reply saying no thanks, but at least 10 minutes to calm down and word it nicely.

I think the 'getting a discount' culture is going too far.

Mousie
x
p.s. I googled him and he works (or is partner in) a top recruitment consultancy
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Re: sign of the times?

Post by greenbarn »

Mouse wrote:
p.s. I googled him and he works (or is partner in) a top recruitment consultancy
Well there's your answer, then. As a recruitment consultant (aka Job Agent :roll: ) he'll be familiar with, and no doubt a champion of, the concept of "hot desking". As a doubtless high-powered executive type, he will be keen to maintain his outward image whilst on a vacation, so "hot bedding" is a no-brainer. Muppet.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Good grief! Yes 'hot desking' indeed!

I had one this week Mouse and they are indeed becoming more common - started off as five people (couple, son and their in-laws) for our two bedroom aparment. Suggested that our three bedroom house might be more appropriate cos of extra bathroom and bedroom. He went on to say that he would book 'if we could do him a good deal' as they had tried hotels in the area and for the two rooms for three nights they could have gone to Lanzarote for a week (!). I politely agreed that yes, self catering was a lot better value and more space but that we had already offered the late availability price (£275 for three nights). Came back the next day to say that it was now 6 adults and three children (house sleeps 5) but they didn't mind 'bunking down'. Luckily for me in the meantime I took a ten day booking that included the three nights he wanted!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes lucky for you Harcourt that you did get that other booking!
so "hot bedding" is a no-brainer
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps it's the new 'sell' for 2010 :P

I have to say after receiving his 2nd reply I scrutinised my advert for the phrase 'doss house' but I really couldn't find it :roll:

Mouse (who probably should have looked for the word 'mug' too)
x
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

my father in law would be popping out sporadically and so when he is not around my mother in law would be able to accomodate one of her grandkids)

Errm, where's Grandad 'going' sporadically I wonder ? No doubt to find some peace and quiet somewhere :lol: :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
enid

Post by enid »

I have never had enquiries so far ahead but got one 2 days ago for 2 weeks July 2010 asking about rates. gave my 2010 rates (+10% on 2009) and they confirmed they wanted to go ahead yesterday. So I think here are still non hagglers around.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So I think here are still non hagglers around.
I'm sure there are Enid...and to be fair I have taken a weeks booking without any 'negotiation' but I have also never had so many enquiries like this before (in fact I only recall 1 in 5 years)...and ones so rude as to not suggest paying for additional numbers over the standard rate (which is what I found particularly galling)

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacqueline

Post by Jacqueline »

enid wrote:I have never had enquiries so far ahead but got one 2 days ago for 2 weeks July 2010 asking about rates. gave my 2010 rates (+10% on 2009) and they confirmed they wanted to go ahead yesterday. So I think here are still non hagglers around.
I seem to get my fair share of hagglers.
Jacqueline
enid

Post by enid »

It is galling and it's far too early to be giving discounts
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Mouse wrote:
I have to say after receiving his 2nd reply I scrutinised my advert for the phrase 'doss house' but I really couldn't find it :roll:
Mouse, I'm still laughing at that one!

It occurred to me that it might be really useful for us all to set up a website specifically for the purpose of having somewhere to refer these enquiries, with details and photos of accommodation that might appeal. I wonder if they'd get the point.......

First offer for a snappy name is holidaydossers.com, but no doubt there's better ideas out there.

Strapline? How about "Why go Glamping when you can go Cramping"?

Or simply "Because you deserve it".
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:lol: :lol:

I like the idea Gb...and offer up:

www.squeeze'emin.com

Mousie
x
enid

Post by enid »

I like both the suggestions - how much to list my property Sardine Villa?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

enid wrote:I like both the suggestions - how much to list my property Sardine Villa?
:lol:
I think we'd need to establish certain quality standards before considering individual properties.
Sardine Villa obviously conjures up an image of close packing, but there is also the suggestion of something foul-smelling, greasy, with sharp edges to cause cuts, and a key that breaks the lock if you try and use it. Wherever located, Sardine Villa seems likely to attract stray cats, rats and flies.

So that definitely qualifies!
enid

Post by enid »

Thank you for seeing the vision we had for our property - we have also found ways to be more eco friendly - one is to use bedding twice i.e; turn duvet covers inside out and sheets over to the other side meaning one set of sheets can be used by two sets of guests saving water and energy - we are thinking of more ways to please our guests all the time
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Duvet covers? Sheets??

You really haven't go the hang of this idea, have you Enid......