Swimming pool, dogs, neighbours.

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pablito3

Swimming pool, dogs, neighbours.

Post by pablito3 »

Hi, I've got a bit of a problem and wonder if anyone can offer advice. My property is a country house in Southern Spain. My neighbour has three dogs and they are very happy to enter my land (by making holes in the fence), have a quick dip in my pool then use my garden as a toilet. Not nice when you have paying guests in the house!
I have complained, repeatedly, to my neighbour the dog owner but quite frankly I dont believe he gives a damn. In typical Andalucian style his response is a shrug of the shoulders. Any suggestions? As quick as I block one hole in the fence the dogs make another. My latest effort is an electric sheep fence along the boundary fence between the neighbours and my property but I'm sure they'll find another way in.
Does anyone know if there is a way to electrify the pool water with a non lethal charge as with the elecric fence. I'm sure that they would only need to be shocked once to never return. I know this sounds cruel but believe me I'm not. I'm a dog lover and the owner of four dogs myself but I keep mine under control.
Any thoughts, suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
Pablito.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I used an electronic fence with my dogs. I had an easier problem as I needed to kep them in, so bought an invisible e-fence with collars for the dogs to wear. Obviously that won't work for you as they are not your dogs, so you can't put collars on them.

However, it took remarkably few shocks for the dogs to stop going anywhere near the boundary! They just didn't want to risk it, so you may find that an electric fence may work and the dogs will just give up on attempting to get in altogether.

Good luck.
pablito3

Post by pablito3 »

Hi B.W. thanks for your reply.
I must admit I'm at the end of my tether with this. Owning dogs myself I know what a nightmare they can be to keep in. In my case I went to the expense of having concrete poured at the bottom of the fence all round my plot as the normal thing is for the dogs is to make a hole where fence meets ground. In this case the main point of entry is the fence which was erected by the nieghbour so I dont have the right to adjust/interfere with it. I have just run a normal sheep type electic fence paralell to his fence on my side of the existing fence. I'm not really confident it will work as I suspect the dogs, not being stupid, will bypass it.
As I said in original thread the soloution would be for them to get a shock as they entered the water if it were at all possible. Anyone got any ideas on that?
As you said BW, it does'nt take many shocks to cure the problem.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Seems a bit of a risk that any electrocuting device could zap a kid or two as well. I would think twice about that. On the other hand, it could cure two problems at once. :lol:

Aren't those sound devices (ultra-high freq.?) still available for animal problems? Like this. Google dog scarer for dozens of solutions.

ebay as well.

MG
pablito3

Post by pablito3 »

Hi MG thanks for the input.
Obviously I would'nt electrify the pool water (if indeed such a thing is possible) if there were anyone staying at the house. When it's unoccupied the plot is fenced and the gate is locked so no possabilty of a child getting zapped. Anyway I'm not looking at a lethal charge, just the same type as the sheep fence gives you.
I have thought of those ultra-sound devices. I have heard that they're not very effective. Anyone know different?
I've just been to the house this morning to check everything's ok' to find one of the nieghbours dogs having a morning dip. I may be a dog lover but I'm getting pretty sick of the situatio.
Pablito
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I was going to post a suggestion along the lines of the gear that is used for electrofishing, which is designed to stun, but not kill, fish for netting out.

However, thinking more about it, anything that is going to cause a shock in the water has some big problems associated with it. If a dog got into the water, then the resulting shock may well render it incapable of getting out again, and it could possibly drown. Okay, that's worst case, but a serious consideration. If you used it only when you actually saw a dog in the water, then obviously you could shut it off again and the dog could hopefully get out - and fast!

As for the ultrasonic devices, we used one in our garden to deter local cats, and it worked for us. It was one with a movement sensor, so it only broadcast when triggered by movement; according to the manufacturer, this is an important feature as if the device is constantly transmitting, the cat or dog simply gets used to it and ignores it. Different animals respond to different frequencies, so it would have to be the right device for a dog.

After we put it in, the local cat started up our drive towards the device, then stopped and looked somewhat puzzled, rather than just bolting. It obviously didn't like it, and after a while it just gave up coming in.
pablito3

Post by pablito3 »

Hi Greenbarn, thaks for your thoughts.
What is electro fishing? I've never heard of it, sounds promising. If the dogs wner is not bothered about thier welfare ie allowing them to run totally free and wild, I'm not really too concerned myself. I've asked him nicely to do something about it to no avail. The situation is intolerable and I'm prepared to do amost anything to resolve it.
Pablito
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Can't you build a fence around the pool to keep the dogs out? Dogs can't get into my pool* as it is fully enclosed. I'm sure it would also encourage families with young children to book - as a parent of a 2 yo I'd never book anywhere that didn't have a fenced pool.
*Unless the dog owners let them :evil:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

pablito3 wrote:Hi Greenbarn, thaks for your thoughts.
What is electro fishing? I've never heard of it, sounds promising.
Wikipedia explanation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrofishing

Sometimes used to clear unwanted predatory fish such as pike from trout streams.

Have to say LV's advice sounds more realistic - or maybe an electric fence surrounding access to the pool?
pablito3

Post by pablito3 »

Thank you both for your replies.
LV, I could put a fence round the pool. I have thought about that but the cost would be prohibitive for me at this time. This is a new venture for me and finances are stretrched. Also, why should I? Just because some b*****d wont control his dogs! At some point in the future I may well put a fence round the pool, for the reason you state, but this is not the time. Credit crunch/crisis/lack of tourists etc.
I've also thought of taking legal action against the owner but those of you familiar with Spain/Andalucia will know that the legal process is not as clearly defined or fairly applied as it may be in other countries.
No, I've thought it through and some sort of dog training aid/repellant seem my best option.
Paul.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

LMH ANNUAL AWARDS FOR 2009:

Category H: Most innovative solution to problem with neighbour.

Winner: Pablito 3:
Solution: Electrify your pool water.

LMH comments: The judges felt strongly that this was an imaginative and cost-effective solution and one that could have additional value when used surreptitiously against free-loading relatives, guests who ignored pool closing times and children that you didn’t like.

Jim
happybee

Post by happybee »

Jimbo wrote:LMH ANNUAL AWARDS FOR 2009:

Category H: Most innovative solution to problem with neighbour.

Winner: Pablito 3:
Solution: Electrify your pool water.

LMH comments: The judges felt strongly that this was an imaginative and cost-effective solution and one that could have additional value when used surreptitiously against free-loading relatives, guests who ignored pool closing times and children that you didn’t like.

Jim
:D :D :D
tansy

Post by tansy »

We have electric fencing all round our fields for the goats and pigs... one of our dogs got a shock of it and never ever not ever goes up to the field now!

It would cost about 200 euros if that to set yourself up with electric fencing - you need plastic stakes, battery, earth rod and the electric wire itself... you can even get solar powered ones ... push the plastic posts into the ground say 18 inches away from the fence with holes. I would suggest you use 3 lines or even 4, the dogs won't be able to get through that.. one belt - same as a farm animal would get they - won't be back.

In your property put a big notice up that there is electrified fence up.
it's all a learning curve!
pablito3

Post by pablito3 »

Hi Tansy, thans for your SENSIBLE reply ( Happybee and Jimbo, I'm looking for suggestions here not sarcasm! I've got a problem and thought maybe I'd get help. Silly me!)
I have got some electric fencing, Tansy, and know how effective it is. However the house is on a large plot 6,000 sq. mtrs. It would be un-realistic to completely surround the whole area with it. I have placed electric fencing where the dogs are habitually entering but I think they'll just move on and make a hole elsewhere.
Hence my idea about deterring them from entering the pool as health and hygene, for humans, is my main concern here.
Thanks again Tansy.
Pablito.
happybee

Post by happybee »

pablito3 wrote:Hi Tansy, thans for your SENSIBLE reply ( Happybee and Jimbo, I'm looking for suggestions here not sarcasm! I've got a problem and thought maybe I'd get help. Silly me!)
I have got some electric fencing, Tansy, and know how effective it is. However the house is on a large plot 6,000 sq. mtrs. It would be un-realistic to completely surround the whole area with it. I have placed electric fencing where the dogs are habitually entering but I think they'll just move on and make a hole elsewhere.
Hence my idea about deterring them from entering the pool as health and hygene, for humans, is my main concern here.
Thanks again Tansy.
Pablito.
Sorry pablito, I was not trying to be sarcastic, just the image of zapping recalcitrant adults and kids was funny...sorry :(

I did some searches for you can came up with this,,,sounds interesting and might work?

http://www.critter-repellent.com/contec ... inkler.php

How the ScareCrow Sprinkler Works:

The ScareCrow works like the motion activated security lights around your home. When it senses movement, it instantly releases a 3-second vigorous spray of water. The frightening noise, startling movement and an unpleasant splash of water startles your animal invader, scaring them away. Your animal pest will quickly get out of the area patrolled by the ScareCrow Sprinkler and stay out.

This innovative device only requires a garden hose connection and one alkaline 9-volt battery for 24-hour security of your property. Hand assembly of the components takes just seconds.

Why does it Work?

* It creates a sudden, frightening noise
* It produces an unexpected alarming movement.
* It generates an unpleasant spray of water.

Your troublesome animal pest immediately associates this frightening experience with your property. To avoid this startling encounter, they will steer clear of your space altogether.