Bird watching and walking magazines

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Washy

Bird watching and walking magazines

Post by Washy »

Has anyone used these types of specific interest magazines?

Our village house is in the Corbieres in southern France and the walking, climbing and birdwatching are wonderful. We would like to attract couples or groups of four friends rather than families.
Any other tips on marketing a village house gratefully received.

thanks
Washy
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Washy,
We are not in the same part of the world as you, but birdwatching and walking trails are certainly one of the attractions here. Once the children go back to school in September, we are also looking for couples, or adults without school age children.

I have to say that without exception, all our non-internet advertising has been a complete waste of money, including most recently The Lady Magazine, from which we received not a single response. That may be peculiar to the USA, I don't know.

The bird watching angle isn't something I have featured, but what has produced very positive results for us is improving the quality of our own website and hammering the listing sites. Even quite small changes to our online presence has doubled the number of good quality inquiries we are receiving, whilst reducing the timewasters.

Other owners here may have a different experience, but I think almost all of us struggle to fill our homes in the low season, however we advertise. If you try something out, I'd really appreciate your feedback on how successful it proves.
Waves from America
Washy

Birdwatching magazines etc.

Post by Washy »

Thanks for such a quick reply. We are fortunate that our little house is already booked for the whole of this winter, and we only take possession of it this week!
This gives me the early part of this winter to explore advertising. I note the negative feedback of other members of this forum regarding magazine advertising and I am using this site to explore making a basic website, although being a 'silver surfer', I do not know if my computer literacy will make this feasible.
We have a birdwatching group in the next village and I will try some local advertising there, and I have sent for copies of several magazines from the UK. I can supply binoculars and scopes, seats, as well as many bird identification books.
I will certainly post my findings and successes and failures here for all to share.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

these people ( http://www.lestroispuitscongenies.com/ ) tell me that their link at "fat birder" is productive.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

Peter,
That looks like a very good lead. Thanks.
Waves from America
Chambo

Fatbirder

Post by Chambo »

Hello!
I just read this thread and wanted to say that I have been thinking about advertising with Fatbirder too.. I used to work for WWT Slimbridge, a bird charity in the UK and just about everyone I knew or met, would look up places to visit on Fatbirder. The owner of the site, Bo also seems very helpful.
Just a thought and good luck!
Anna
p.s. just saw that this was posted in 2005!! Oh well...