Dishwashers....

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've just discovered that the cottage housing people with the 'broken' dishwasher (who on the booking form had 8 people + baby staying in the cottage) have turned into 9 people + baby. The grandad in the party also overwound the (expensive) parasol and broke it. I feel less inclined to give compensation for the dishwasher as I'm not totally sure it wasn't them who caused the problem. I'm also annoyed they have an additional person staying on a sofa bed in the living area who wasn't originally declared on the booking form. However, they are really friendly people, although I just know that the place will be in a state when they leave on Saturday.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Susan - I'm afraid it's time to be a bit tough...front them up...I know it is difficult...but why were you thinking of compensation?

When we went over today to sort out the fridge there was a note from our guests saying that one of the showers wasn't hot....we managed to get a plumber over this afternoon to fit a new thermostatically controlled tap...but honestly if I hadn't have managed to find someone today I would have just said sorry you will have to make do with the other 2 showers until I can get a plumber...I would not have mentioned compensation.

Things do wear out/breakdown it's a fact...but as long as you make every effort to fix it that in my book is fine.

I have a clause in my terms re extra persons...a minimum I would be looking at charging for any extra person is 150 Euros for the week...(extra persons use hot water, electricity, water and make extra laundry...I say this even for babies).

So I'm afraid it's a matter of just going over to tell them you are doing your best to fix the dishwasher - sorry about the umbrella but that is down to them to replace or fix and by the way it's an extra 150 Euros for the extra person...maybe then they will see you are meaning business and the house won't be in a state on Saturday...I feel for you it must be really difficult if they are nice people & you are on site - but this is your business...you need to be in control....at the end of the day make money too.

Don't be too nice all the time!

good luck with it...just remember it is your business and your home and let us know how it all goes.

Tansy
it's all a learning curve!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I do sympathise, Susan - it is very difficult when you find extra people and "very nice" people don't do this. It is a good idea to have a clause in your contract excluding anyone not named on the form or any in excess of the maximum number you allow for. It is also a good idea to include a penalty clause which fixes the sum you will charge per "illegal" person per week or part of week (this could, if necessary, be deducted from the security deposit).
Probably the only peole who would be put off booking by these conditions are those who don't intend to respect them.
I don't think I would bring up the question of payment for the broken parasol during their stay.
Re the compensation for the dishwasher - don't! - and consider putting in a clause which excludes your liability for any temporary malfunction of any appliance, equipment or machine.
Best,
Alexia.
debk

Post by debk »

It's tough to be tough. We so want our guests to enjoy themselves, yes?

But Alexia and Tansy are right.

Our Rental Agreement basically says:
The maximum number of guests must not exceed the 'Number of Guests' stated in your "Reservation Confirmation" email. Violation of this clause will result in immediate termination of occupancy and forfeiture of all payments.

The italics are included in the Rental Agreement. We want the guests to know we are serious about this one!