Dearer hotels and cheaper chalets for skiers

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Big Sis..

Dearer hotels and cheaper chalets for skiers

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowa ... kiers.html

''British skiers can expect to pay almost 50 per cent more for hotel-based package holidays during peak periods next season but, despite a cut in capacity, the cost of catered chalets is down''.
Martha

Post by Martha »

"Skiers should try and book all-inclusive deals next season," said a spokeswoman for the Ski Club of Great Britain. "Deals that include catered accommodation, lift pass and equipment hire will save them from being caught out by any unexpected costs in the resort," she added.

:roll: thanks SCGB!

Cheers for posting that Ros - makes interesting reading. I wonder though - if the hotels are expensive, won't people go for the cheaper chalet deals anyway?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Austria

Post by Austria »

Hope that you are right. There is a certain logic that if people want to ski they will cut their cloth accordingly and book an apartment or ski chalet.

I did hear of a reference that there was an expectation that there would be a 20% drop in ski bookings, time will tell.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I don't think that skiers who go every year will miss out 2010. But, apart from articles like that, hopefully there will be good publicity for the self-catering option - those prices were massive. I must re-visit the all-in cost for holidays here.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Thanks for that Big Sis, interesting article. Was interested to read the comment re. advance ski bookings being at their lowest for 10 years.

It'll be interesting to see how the 09/10 season pans out.

Beanie