Scams replaced by time wasters

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hanorah

Scams replaced by time wasters

Post by Hanorah »

The scams have dropped off but I have received an incredible amount of enquiries lately that have come to nothing. So is it people just mass window shopping or is there a new breed of serial time wasters out there. Of course it could be do with how I am handling rental enquires but I doubt it as I am always friendly professional and helpful (well at least I think I am).

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem they are coming from a variety of sources so I can rule out a rogue site trying to up the ante on level of enquiries I receive like Villa2000 did earlier in the year when it was nearly time to pay after a free trial.

However when my faith was really waning I got a 4 week booking yesterday for next year which is my longest let so far.

So am I the only one or is something going on I definetly did not have this problem last year. I will be re-reading handling rental enquiries just to be on the safe side.
Always Learning
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Hanorah,

I have been getting quite a few window shoppers. I am working really hard on conversion also but they don't seem to come to anything. I think the early shoppers for next year know they have choices and the ones I have run into so far seem to all be subtely looking for discounts or something - and since I am not offering discounts I think I am missing out.

Hold the faith - at least you know the marketing is reaching people :)
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've had a reasonable number of inquiries, but nothing really crazy.

I don't tend to chase after the customers unless the inquiry is for an off-peak time, so it hasn't been a big waste of my time or anything. In fact, we just got an inquiry for 2 weeks in May/June 2006 that I think has a good chance of converting, so with that we'll have booked 5 weeks of next season -- much better than last year!
Brooke
Patia

Post by Patia »

Well that's funny Hanorah . . . I've been wondering about this myself just recently. Lots of really nice enquiries . . . . but none of them seeming to come to anything . . . why on earth is that? As you say, I have gone over and over my replies to these people, and I really can't see that I have answered them in any other than my normal fashion, which is to answer cheerful and friendly with cheerful and friendly . . . or efficient and to the point with efficient and to the point . . . so I don't think I am putting them off with my responses, although it does make you worry about that doesn't it.

Just another of life's mysteries I guess . . . but very annoying since I know we all put as much thought and effort into answering the enquries which come to nothing as we do into those that convert.

Patia
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We've signed on with a couple of free sites and have had less than 5 enquiries that have led to nothing. One of the free trials has just run out and last week we received (what seemed) a promising lead enquiry for Xmas....up to now we've had no reply to our email, so it does look suspicous to make us think it's a bogus enquiry.
Jayjan

Post by Jayjan »

Hi Crystal, that makes we wonder too, whether these enquiries come from people who work within these sites just to make you think you are getting a good response so when your free trial period expires you will then subscribe. I have had 4 enquiries in 2 weeks from the same site and only been with them just 2 weeks but no replies up to now.But one hopes something positive will come from them eventually. Regards Jayjan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

The tset for staying with a site should be if they bring you bookings. That cuts out the possible game factor.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I'm sorry to hammer on about this - I know I've said it often enough - but this is another reason I never consider the number of enquiries when I evaluate a site's usefulness for my business. My only criterion is the number of actual bookings. I renew sites on this basis only.
Best,
Alexia.
Ross Hugo

Post by Ross Hugo »

Jayja/Crystal, Hi

Looking at your recent history on our site, I presume you are talking about Holidaylets.net. What can I say? Man's (or woman's) natural cinicism means I will never convince everybody that this is a practice we do not participate in.
Jayjan wrote:Hi Crystal, that makes we wonder too, whether these enquiries come from people who work within these sites just to make you think you are getting a good response so when your free trial period expires you will then subscribe. I have had 4 enquiries in 2 weeks from the same site and only been with them just 2 weeks but no replies up to now.But one hopes something positive will come from them eventually. Regards Jayjan
We also do our best to stop scammers/competitors sending bogus enquiries just to get your email address. They, in turn, can then make you an offer you can't refuse!

Jayjan, I am pleased www,holidaylets.net has generated 4 enquiries in your first few weeks of being on the site. From my piont of view, it suggests the site is working for you. Although I also acceppt the proof of the pudding is whether or not they convert into real bookings. However, since 2 of those enquiries have given telephone numbers, I can only suggest you give them a call and assess for yourself whether or not they are bogus or real enquiries. I suspect you will find they are genuine. Hope this helps.

Yours ethically,

Ross Hugo

www.holidaylets.net
paolo

Post by paolo »

Ross,

I wonder if this should not have been communicated privately? It turns a general observation into a criticism of your company.

Anyway, I endorse what you say, I don't believe holidaylets engage in this sort of thing. But I am sure some sites do. There are only three free trials I bother with: holidaylets.net, vacationrentals.com and perfectplaces.com, because my assessment of them makes me think they are reputable companies.

It isn't unusual to get enquiries which don't come back to you. If they enquire to more than one property, and yours was not top of their wanted list, I wouldn't expect to hear from them again. That is not the listing site's fault.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ross Hugo

Post by Ross Hugo »

Paolo,

I hear what you say but we have nothing to hide here. We're an open organisation so I'm quite happy to air any subject that people have a concern with, even if it does bring into question the way we run the site.

Kind regards, Ross

www.holidaylets.net
paolo

Post by paolo »

Ross,

OK, but if your clients wanted to share your openness, they would have named your site. That's assuming they are talking about your site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I was a bit puzzled by this.No-one mentioned any specific site and there are loads out there!! :?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Jayjan

Post by Jayjan »

Hi Hugo, I hope I havn't offended you. Actually 2 enquiries came from your site (& not 4 as I stated) & they did leave phone numbers, thanks for the tip next time I will personally ring them. The other 2 enquiries came from another site were no phone numbers were left. It was just something that ran through my mind when it was mentioned on this forum about bogus emails that made wonder. I was quite happy to have had these enquiries in a short space of time after registering with your site, and as I said hopefully something positive will come from them eventually.I normally do my own local advertising and get a good response from it, but thought I would try some holiday websites to see if the response is any better. Regards Jayjan
Ross Hugo

Post by Ross Hugo »

Jayjan,

No offence. I was just having a bad day. I'm pleased it's working for you.

Kind regards, Ross