New log cabin website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
pete

Post by pete »

I cant find 'must be' either now, I remember reading ..... must be amongst ...... and thinking .... are..... would read better but I must have been having a blond moment !!!!

tick looks to me like a golf club, but it is appropriate and Im sure its me,

the site does look good, photos are nice too,

good luck with your new venture

pete
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Pete - it "must be" you then :wink:

BW & TP - Thanks for the pointer re the text flow - The text editor (tinyMCE) had helpfully stripped my

<div style="clear:both;"></div>

which ensures that the text starts BELOW the images

This meant that the text was infilling the small gap between the pictures.

Crazily strict HTML "validation" is the curse of WordPress. I have now reinstated the code and added Div/Style properly to my valid elements in the TinyMCE valid elements plug in.

Oddly it wasn't showing that way in Firefox, which is suprising. Did I mention how much I enjoy chasing down browser compatibility issues??? :roll:

Mind you it shows how valuable this review exercise can be so many many thanks!
pete

Post by pete »

I now use chome and it didnt show there either,
Garri

Post by Garri »

Garri - I've actually used pages, but also categorised the posts using the lodge names amongst other things. Probably due to incompetence. Do you think that's a bad thing to do?
I'm not sure to be honest, it just struck me as odd. Tactically it could cause problems down the road for the blog.

If it were me, I would use pages for the static stuff, i.e. properties, about etc, and then use posts for the blog, i.e. news, updates etc.

It then makes it much easier to organise your content.

The properties are sort of lost in the nav bar under the header and mixed in with other nav elements.

I would try and group the navigational elements into primary and secondary (and tertiary if applicable)

What I'm seeing is a mixture of blogging and static content and the sidebar on the left adds to that confusion.

I would also consider using a breadcrumb system to help users navigate through your site.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry been off-line for a couple of days, so missed a quick review...

My overall feeling is that if I had a dog, I'd be rushing to book, but since I don't at the moment, I wonder if it would appeal. One has to wade through so much doggy stuff to get the real meat. I guess you know the market yourself, and appealing to dog owners is undoubtedly a good thing, but what percentage of bookings are doggy bookings ?

Mind you, I did love this line:
Now you do realise that if your dog could use a keyboard he’d have booked by now don’t you?
Why bury it ? If you're gonna be so brazen, then highlight it.. !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Windy

Post by Windy »

If it were me, I would use pages for the static stuff, i.e. properties, about etc, and then use posts for the blog, i.e. news, updates etc.
That's exactly what I've done Garri, and mixing the blog in with the site was part of the plan. Hmmm. Maybe a bit of rethinking then....

Richard - Maybe I'll try to find away of bringing that forward a bit (along with Ros's "it's gotter be otta" of course)
Garri

Post by Garri »

Windy wrote: That's exactly what I've done Garri, and mixing the blog in with the site was part of the plan. Hmmm. Maybe a bit of rethinking then....
I can see that now, having had a closer look ;-) I find sites which mix static content and blogging together in this way very confusing to follow.

I like your booking form, very good! What about placing specific calls to action, i.e. booking enquiry forms, at the end of each property page?

And make use of the footer by providing calls to action there too.

When I click the top nav item 'Kingfisher Lodge' I get this page:

http://www.lakedistrictcabin.co.uk/kingfisher-lodge/

Personally, I feel it would be better to ditch the sub-pages and place all information about the accommodation and photo gallery on the main accommodation page. That way everything is there, easy to follow for the user (rather than having to click the drop downs to access the info), and easier for you to maintain.

Right side-bar: the list of features is styled the same as your other lists which are links, but the features aren't links. Perhaps style them differently?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Garri

I'll get on to those ideas shortly.

J
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well the Gods smiled this weekend and we had some lovely weather to take some new photos of Otter Lodge

http://www.lakedistrictcabin.co.uk/otte ... e-gallery/

Some of them are a bit over /under exposed - I just can't get a balance in indoor pics with sunshine, but I'm much happier with this lot.

J