What would you do?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Itsonlyme

What would you do?

Post by Itsonlyme »

This is our first season and only our second set of guests. I've read everyone else's horror stories and been filled with terror - I agree with the poster who said 'is it worth it for only 7 weeks?' We have only 6 weeks booked out this year, so I agree wholeheartedly.

Anyway, our property manager rang to say the present guests had rung him to say the (beautiful, 6 month old) glass basin in the bathroom had a crack in it. It wasn't there the night before, but appeared (miraculously, it would seem) overnight. Apparently it is underneath the basin near the waste: presumably if something was dropped in the basin it would have cracked inside. One of the party is a plumber, and he reckoned the waste had been put on too tight. Hmmm.

So what would you do? If I get hold of the original plumber, he is bound to deny liability. If I say the basin is faulty, the suppliers are bound to disagree. The only thing I can think of is to ask the guests to claim on their holiday insurance, without implying blame, and I will offer to pay the excess.

The property manager said they are very nice people who love the place and want to come back at Christmas. Not that that would influence me, as I would like an amicable solution all round whether they rebooked or not.

We're going down ourselves this Saturday so can judge for ourselves.

The basin cost €500, by the way. I chose it, but it was included in the purchase price of the house, which was in the middle of being renovated when we bought it.

Meanwhile, any ideas, kind (more experienced) posters that you are?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The only thing I can think of is to ask the guests to claim on their holiday insurance, without implying blame, and I will offer to pay the excess.
Oops! That sounds too close to insurance fraud to me. And, you want to get your guests involved in it? It's a big "No, No" in my view.

Alan
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

I wasn't intending any sort of fraud! It smacks to me of a child with chocolate all over its face saying, 'it wasn't me!' when accused of raiding the biscuit tin. I reckon they must have cracked the basin, and should therefore claim on their insurance. If I offer to pay the excess it won't cost them anything, so they would perhaps be more inclined to co-operate. If I accuse them outright, they are more likely to clam up and deny all the more.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

What about claiming on your own insurance? It would be hard to prove that your guests have been negligent wouldn't it?
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

I'd thought of that, but I've read that French insurance claims can take forever and you cannot do any repairs whilst the claim is being processed. As we have to rent the place, we can't have a faulty basin awaiting the vagaries of French bureaucrasy. The only alternative is to pay for the repairs ourselves - wiping out any profit from the guests being there!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think I'd check out your insurance first. After all that's what you pay it for. If you can't or won't make a claim, why bother!!!
Anyone any experience of claiming from French insurers?
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

Speaking for myself, I have to say that, much as it would grieve me, I would accept this as part and parcel of renting the property out. Whilst I am sure it is (or was) a beautiful basin, accidents do happen and more so when people are not in their own environment. Also, as we seem to agree, many people do not take as much care as they should with our valued property, more's the pity!

I think I would cut my losses and have something more serviceable fitted.

I am the poster you referred to as wondering if it was all worth it. I am losing count of the number of repairs and replacements we have had to deal with despite the relatively low numbers of people using the house. Maybe you can see why I am thinking of chucking it all in.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

If they're anything like English insurers, they'll bump up the premiums in future years, so we'll only end up paying anyway!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I claimed on my insurance here last year after a storm damaged the roof, causing water to pour in through the window frame. I expected a big hike in premiums as it was quite a substantial claim, roof and guttering repair, re-plastering of walls and ceilings, and redecoration, but it was actually minimal. I was also astonsihed that they not only re-plastered the damaged wall, but the whole room, and skimmed the ceiling too.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

As far as claiming on insurance is concerened, ours doesn't cover any damage done in the rented properties, but it does in our own house. Any insurance claims have been honoured immediately with no arguement from the insurers. If any damage is done to the rental properties (above and beyond of the security deposit) it is up to the guests insurance to cover that. I'm not sure, but I think its impossible to get insurance for guest damage. If you haven't made it clear in the Terms and Conditions that guests need to have adequate insurance, you may have problems.
We do, of course, have public liability insurance, but this doesn't cover damage done in the rental houses.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Difficult one this...especially if the crack is on the outside of the basin (supposedly)...also the claim that they'd like to book Christmas...a sort of underhand ploy for you to forget about the damage???

We had a similar experience last year when the marble surround on a bathroom basin (perfect on changeover) suddenly had a crack on both sides a couple of days into our guests holiday. Classic signs of someone sitting on the edge of the basin (for whatever reason!!) The only reason we know this is because our neighbour had a party and one teenage guest sat on the basin (similar design to ours) and the marble cracked on both sides. Our guests profusely denied any damage, but as the basin was perfect on changeover, our terms and conditions say any damage has to be paid for. The problem we had was that Leroy Merlin discontinued that particular model of basin, marble and cabinet, so we could not just replace the marble, therefore we had to get a completely new bathroom basin, surround and cabinet!
Needless to say we withheld their damage deposit for the new bathroom fixture and the plumbers cost.

Certain breakages are not part and parcel of renting..the odd small items can be overlooked, but when you have to be out of pocket for major breakages then I think withholding the damage deposit (in your case probably falls short of the original item) is the best policy and guests who are in the wrong normally (as in our case) do not challenge the decision!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I would not accept this as part and parcel of renting the property out. I would retain the security deposit, pending a reply from the supplier (who will refer the matter to the manufacturer). The supplier will be notified by the manufacturer of the cause of the damage: either faulty material or negligence on the part of your guests or your installer.
If it is faulty material, the basin wil be replaced. If not, get the manufacturer's report in writing.
Keep the security deposit if it is the guests' fault (send them a copy of the manufacturer's report) .
If it is the fault of the installer, you can make a claim in your small claims court if the installer denies liability (the manufacturer's report will be included with your claim).
The Christmas return visit is an altogether different matter and shouldn't affect your judgement on the matter of the basin. I agree with Crystal on this (a "possible "ploy").
Good luck!
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I don't think insurance is going to be the way somehow...I think you will have to replace it - but with something more durable!

We have a beautiful glass sink in our bathroom here at home - when I say our I mean mine & my husbands...no one else is allowed in it...I wouldn't even trust guests in our own home with a sink like that never mind in a rental house...

Golden rule don't have anything in a rental house that you would be upset about if it was damaged, ruined or destroyed... I hate to say it I think you have had an expensive lesson...handy it's a plumber though - that made my eyebrow raise.

The marble thing though... should be the manufacturers replace that - ridiculous for that to break...I would have unending fun with that one!

Good luck with it all...but durable is the key!
it's all a learning curve!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

The marble thing though... should be the manufacturers replace that - ridiculous for that to break...I would have unending fun with that one!
Unfortunately we could not refer back to the manufacturers as the marble surround was over 2 years old and the design was no longer available......but asides that issue, it was blatantly obvious that pressure was put on the edge of the basin for the marble to crack on both sides.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Crystal..I find that really hard for you..marble is supposed to be durable even if it is 2 years old..there must be a design fault...I am actually hopping up and down on your behalf (sorry I know it isn't ny business) but that is really bad.

Interesting that that design was no longer availble...did others have the same problem?!

To me it's the same if my granite work top cracked or burnt in my kitchen. These companies get away with murder.
it's all a learning curve!