Where have all the chalets gone??

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Big Sis..

Where have all the chalets gone??

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://timestravel.typepad.com/travel/2 ... alets.html

''If you always take a chalet on your ski holiday, you will notice some substantial differences in the ski brochures this winter. Most operators are slashing the number of chalets they have, particularly in France.''

good news for privately owned chalets?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not sure yet Ros, I think my apartment is a bit small for a big chalet party. I gained a group of ladies from a local hotel last year, because of the credit crunch, and they are coming back this winter too.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I think there's a lot of "wait and see" going on with chalets this year - but I've wondered what will happen to the unused chalets too. There certainly are some - I know of 2 in chamonix that are being let longer term now. I think there'll be some well housed seasonnaires this year!

Having said that we are now booked for 13 weeks! and have only 3 possible weeks left to book - whilst I know of a very nice chalet that is really struggling for bookings. There seems to be very little pattern emerging apart from a lot of people who are waiting. I would too, if I was booking a place. The deals at the end of last season were unbelievable.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We have about the same, a mixture of end of season and late January. March booked ages ago, so as you say, no pattern.