Take a look please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
frogslegs

Take a look please

Post by frogslegs »

Apart from updating photographs as the website is about 4 years old, is there anything else I should add? Incidentally when I say me update.....that is a different matter......been a graphic designer for 18 years but bit of a luddite when it comes to computers, so I get someone else to put the pages together ect. :?
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

Hi,

I like the colour scheme, I like the full screen layout, I think you should have the contact information on it's own page rather than hidden away in the footer, and consider getting a contact form on the site as some people prefer this (or struggle with mailto links if they're using webmail).

the pics are the obvious thing as you mention. I see you have a slideshow on another site, you should bring that over to your site as the images are bigger. if you get 2500 hours of sun:

a. jealous!
b. make sure it's sunny in all the photos

From an SEO perspective, there's a lot to be done:

- your pages are missing meta description attribute
- all page titles are the same throughout the site
- you don't have any h1 tags on the site
- you've not updated for 4 years so you're lacking 'freshness' in Google's eyes

hth,

GG2
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Like it very much. Clean, simple and easy to understand. Just like me, really :lol:
------------------------------------
They seek him here, they seek him where?
elena

Post by elena »

Nice fresh colour scheme but find the white on peach writing
(contact info at bottom of page) hard to read. Agree that the contact information should be more obvious.

I also think that it would be helpful to have a clear home page navigation button rather than just having to click on "Le Tilleul"
as this may not be obvious to everyone.

It's an attractive site though and will be even better once you've upgraded the photos!
Hope this helps,

Elena
Dordogne Holiday Cottages
frogslegs

Post by frogslegs »

- your pages are missing meta description attribute
- all page titles are the same throughout the site
- you don't have any h1 tags on the site
- you've not updated for 4 years so you're lacking 'freshness' in Google's eyes

if you can explain....pretend I am a child....no forget that...children will probably understand! just in plain english please! :wink:
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

frogslegs wrote: if you can explain....pretend I am a child....no forget that...children will probably understand! just in plain english please! :wink:

Have a look here: http://giteguru.com/search-engine-optim ... e-for-seo/ which explains most of it hopefully in pretty (dare I say 'fool proof') manner!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,

Your properties look lovely. I think you should have larger photos of the gites for greater iimpact.

I agree about contact details in the footer - because the text is in white on a pale background, it's very hard to read. That said, maybe you don't want people to have the full address and phone number so easily... I think an inquiry form is always a good idea, if only so that you control what info people give and request - amazing how many email inquiries leave out numbers in the party.

The page titles should all be different (the text in the tab at the top of each webpage) preferably with more of your optimal search words rather than the site url - after all, if they're looking at the page, they've found the url...

Overall, I like that it's clear and easy to navigate.
Lounging on the lily pad...
lorca

Post by lorca »

Your gites look lovely. Personally I would like more pics of the interiors - from what you have already I´m sure they´re beautiful and must be a selling point.
Austria

Post by Austria »

For those with visual impairment, the writing on the bottom left of the screen is not easy to see.

Re the email button, change it to a contact button? with telephone number, email and address, it builds trust in the punter if they have more than one way to contact you.

cheers Derek
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

Austria wrote: Re the email button, change it to a contact button? with telephone number, email and address, it builds trust in the punter if they have more than one way to contact you.
cheers Derek

And you'll get less spam as spambots won't be able to strip your email address from your site (although it may be too late for that specific email address I'm afraid!)

kr,

GG2
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Gite Guru wrote:
Austria wrote: Re the email button, change it to a contact button? with telephone number, email and address, it builds trust in the punter if they have more than one way to contact you.
cheers Derek

And you'll get less spam as spambots won't be able to strip your email address from your site (although it may be too late for that specific email address I'm afraid!)
I'm not sure - until I put in a captcha on the enquiry form on my website (thanks Vrooje!), I received loads more spam from that than the contact email address that was showing.
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

yeah I tend to use captcha on most forms, but then I've never noticed spam as a result of NOT having it.

One thing I absolutely HATE is the 'disguised text' captchas. Am I the only person who struggles with these? I tried five times to sign up to another forum the other day, and eventually gave up as i was unable to decipher the captcha text no matter how many new attempts I made at fresh versions. grr...

I always tend to use 'human answer' versions such as 1+4 = ?

It has the added benefit of stripping out any UK GCSE students....

;)

GG2
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Gite Guru wrote:One thing I absolutely HATE is the 'disguised text' captchas. ...
I always tend to use 'human answer' versions such as 1+4 = ?
Totally agree !!

Mind you, there is a site I use that is a bit heavy handed and asks questions such as 29 + 37 -14 =

Never mind stripping GCSE students, they are only interested in MBAs :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

there's a meme in there somewhere... impossibly hard captchas... cryptic crossword clues as captchas...
frogslegs

Post by frogslegs »

I do not have a clue what you are talking about :oops: :? :(