Dog Friendly

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
apexblue

Dog Friendly

Post by apexblue »

Google says there has been a massive increase in the UK of people searching for dog friendly cottages, dog friendly holidays, dog friendly accommodation.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Most of my lets are to dog owners. A recent guest posted on a doggy forum about my place and got me a booking through that. The guest has rebooked again. :D
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

From experience I know that it is often very difficult to get holiday homes that take dogs, I had many years trying to solve the problem
------------------------------------
They seek him here, they seek him where?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I get lots of enquiries and bookings from dog owners. There was a Leonberger who stayed last week in the little gîte, I think he took up around a quarter of the floor space downstairs.
J&J

Post by J&J »

I'm not surprised. We took our dog to Devon last week instead of our usual break in Dinard. Saved over £80 on kennel fees and had some lovely walks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We've had quite a number of bookings for the dog-friendly of our 3 units - in fact there's two greyhounds in there now; saw the owner taking them out onto the common in this morning's slightly inclement weather.......
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

la vache! wrote:I get lots of enquiries and bookings from dog owners. There was a Leonberger who stayed last week in the little gîte, I think he took up around a quarter of the floor space downstairs.
Was his name Bigmac? (Sorry, that was really poor, wasn't it?)
Leonberger..... oh, just forget it! :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I think all that head shaking has dislodged The Stig's brain cell........ :lol:
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Greenbarn wrote:I think all that head shaking has dislodged The Stig's brain cell........ :lol:
Oi, remember rule whateveritis in forum rules!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Most of my lets are to dog owners. A recent guest posted on a doggy forum about my place and got me a booking through that. The guest has rebooked again.
Thanks Sue. Just put our details on a doggy forum and had 27 hits and 1 enquiry already.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Are you happy to the forum share by PM or here?!!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Are you happy to the forum share by PM or here?!!
I'll translate from the Geordie...

Could you let us know what forum that was? :-)

We get loads of doggie bookings - defo a good ploy IMHO although we now pay our cleaner a premium for dogs staying due to the fur!

It seems it's quite hard to find places for dog owners.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We make an extra charge for dogs, to cover the hair removal, our own dog is the worst offender though.
elena

Post by elena »

We were considering accepting dogs for off season bookings only.

Just wondering though how people with several gites on one site manage things.
Can't help anticipating 3 or 4 dogs all barking at once with ours joining in (he's not free to roam about but isn't used to other dogs here). How do you ensure that they ( dogs & owners)behave properly without imposing too many rules?

Have definitely found that although nearly all of our guests have treated the gites really well, with the shared facilities - especially games room- there's the definite feeling that "someone else can take the blame - they won't know it was me" & wonder if it would be the same with dogs in the grounds.

We allowed dogs in our hotel in one specific room, only if they were well behaved, had own basket, didn't lie on the beds etc etc. Soon stopped that because although guests assured us that would be the case, once inside a lot just did what they liked. Now I'm assuming that a cottage for a week would be worse as they're bound to feel more "at home" than in an hotel room.

Am I worrying unnecessarily??

Elena
Dordogne Holiday Cottages
Windy

Post by Windy »

Elena

I think as with everythng else, the majority of guests are fine.

We've ben accepting dogs in one of our lodges for a year now, and also accept them in the most recent one for two months. Out of 60 or so guests abou 50 must have brought dogs and we've only had two problems.

One dog gnawed our table leg, and my cleaner didn't spot it in time for me to determine who it was, and last week a couple invited two friends up for a night without telling us, Friends brought their dog and allowed it to cr@p all over the lawn.

Apart from that and the of groan from my cleaners about dog hair everywhere, it has been a good move as we are normally booked up way before the non-doggie lodges.