French Neigbour Problems

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bentisdall

French Neigbour Problems

Post by bentisdall »

Our house in the Auvergne is semi-detached. Unfortunately the neighbour, a French woman in her sixties who lives there with her brother, is being increasingly rude to our guests. Basically she preferred things when the house was empty & has complained to me about people shouting, parking, playing music etc. So I get messages like this
'Je tenais aussi à vous informer que nous avons rencontrer quelques soucis de socialbilité avec les voisins.
Il est vrai que nous avons fait la fête le soir, mais nous nous sommes fait insulter plusieurs fois malgré notre courtoisie et nos excuses.'
We've tried to be as polite as possible to Simone. We've cut down the trees she didn't like, we've taken her small gifts from England etc but I'm wondering what else I can do. Any bright ideas?
Babnik

Post by Babnik »

How can I put this? She's in her sixties. Perhaps just wait, and let nature take it's course.

Having said that, she could live until well into her nineties, perhaps you need another solution.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Babnik wrote:How can I put this? She's in her sixties. Perhaps just wait, and let nature take it's course.

Having said that, she could live until well into her nineties, perhaps you need another solution.
Judging by the age reached by women around here, this could well be the case!
I don't know what you can do, short of sell and buy somewhere detached. She has obviously got an bee in her bonnet about your rental guests and is going to carry on complaining. I really do sympathise as I have neighbours, but not the complaining sort fortunately, but they aren't semi detached and so unaffected by noise.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We were talking to a couple yesterday, who live in a residence mainly of apartments owned by elderly Parisians. One of their neighbours complains when they flush thier loo. Not a thing they can do about it, but it doesn't stop the knock on the door each day when the neighbours are visiting.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

HelenB wrote:We were talking to a couple yesterday, who live in a residence mainly of apartments owned by elderly Parisians. One of their neighbours complains when they flush thier loo. Not a thing they can do about it, but it doesn't stop the knock on the door each day when the neighbours are visiting.
Incontinence pants, maybe?
------------------------------------
They seek him here, they seek him where?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Could there be a way to soundproof the shared wall between you?
Brooke
olive

Post by olive »

Or reduce flushings? With water an increasingly rare (and expensive) commodity the Australian injunction to "let it mellow if it's yellow, if it's brown flush it down" is more than a good joke. Less noise for the neighbours, more money for you.
olive

Post by olive »

PS
Why is this under "Rental enquiries"??
dublin13

Post by dublin13 »

me and my dad were cutting our hedge on a sunday on our property in spain. we were using a crapy electric trimmer very little noise and a shears. the road is generally quiet and most neighbours are not spanish. a german got a serious bee in her bonnet about and proceeded to lecture us on spanish and how sundays and bank holidays are not fr working. people like these are so used to having peace and quiet and see any one visiting as an invasion of their privacy even if its a semi d or just up the road
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

sundays and bank holidays are not fr working. people like these are so used to having peace and quiet and see any one visiting as an invasion of their privacy even if its a semi d or just up the road
This presumably doesn't apply to the shooters who regularly disturb Sundays in rural areas in season? :roll: :roll:

PS I am wondering the same, Olive!!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
enid

Post by enid »

Why is this under "Rental enquiries"??
A mistake? Or it's possible the poster thought the neighbours actions affected how he responds to enquiries. Which category should it be in? - a positive suggestion would be helpful.

Do you speak French bentisdall? I suggest going to see your neighbour and asking how this can be resolved. Even grumpy old 60 year old women have their reasons for behaving in a certain way. By talking to her you can perhaps come up with a compromise.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

enid wrote:
Even grumpy old 60 year old women have their reasons for behaving in a certain way. By talking to her you can perhaps come up with a compromise.
Good advice but, are 60 year old women old? :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
enid

Post by enid »

Not in my book - but then I'm 61 :)
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

enid wrote:Not in my book - but then I'm 61 :)
Nor in mine, definitely, I speak with authority being 60 + 2 days - and yesterday I was swimming in the pool at 18deg - I don't see many 'old' women doing that :shock: :lol: :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Broom UA

Post by Broom UA »

Bendistall,
I think your best move is communication with this lady. Sit down with her listen to what she has to say and explain what you can and can't do for her. Seek her suggestions (see if she's got any). You can do no more for her than that.

Dublin 13
Your german lady has probably grown up with German by-laws which forbid car washing, grass cutting, and even putting your washing on the line on a Sunday.(Or used to when I was a lass)

Anne. :)