Splutter cough GRRRRRRRR discount request for peak season

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
tree-peony

Splutter cough GRRRRRRRR discount request for peak season

Post by tree-peony »

Just had an enquiry for next July (2 weeks) from some Germans. I confirmed we had the weeks available and the price. THEN I get an e-mail back saying it's too expensive and asking for a 35% discount!!!!!!!!!!

To say I'm apopletic is an understatement :shock:

How would you have replied?

(edited to add info to title before I get ticked off!!)
Last edited by tree-peony on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

TP, with a firm 'no' . Peak season should be no problem to fill.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I agree absolutely Helen, and that's exactly what I did :twisted:
pepsipuss

Re: Splutter cough GRRRRRRRR discount request for peak seaso

Post by pepsipuss »

tree-peony wrote: THEN I get an e-mail back saying it's too expensive and asking for a 35% discount!!!!!!!!!!
Just out of interest, T-P, do you think they meant 'too expensive for us' or just generally too expensive? Not that it makes any difference to the response but the former is not QUITE as cheeky as the latter!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

the latter I suspect, but I don't think we are! £425 a week in peak season for a 165 m2 apartment with AC and a pool? Thing is, we're already fully booked for the latter part of July and August anyway.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

REALLY CHEEKY, then :shock: :shock: :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

I get this from time to time too. It's just people trying it on, rather than a reflection of what your place is worth. They probably read some magazine article that told them to ask for discount.

I got a very severe email once from someone who said I was overpriced, not worth the money, and she'd got somewhere just as good for half the price. Good luck to you, off you go then, sounds like a great deal!

Slightly unwisely, she'd named the place she was going and when I had a look it was half the size with none of our facilities. I was spitting at the time but you have to not take it personally even though it can seem very rude - I know it's hard when you have put so much thought into your lovely place - glad to hear you're well booked already!

Oh and a couple of times I've had people ask for early booking discount for New Year week. :roll:
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Slightly unwisely, she'd named the place she was going and when I had a look it was half the size with none of our facilities.
Oh Martha - how DID you resist replying to them that their choice really was sub standard to your place!? I would have been soooo tempted and here by nominate you for the 'resistence beyond temptation' LMH award of the week!

TP - it amazes me that even if they feel they've got to chance asking for a discount that they still do it even though they can clearly see you're doing very well for bookings. I may be brave but I'm not that brave!

Good answer btw

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Perhaps they've kidded themselves that all TP's other bookings were discounted too!!

I very rarely get asked for a discount except for lets of 3 or 4 weeks for some odd reason. Can count them on the fingers of one hoof I think! Maybe they've googled, found my picture here and don't dare!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We had some people stay for a week at the end of August, as it was a late booking, and I vaguely knew him, he did get a discount, but he then asked me to 'hold' the following week for him, as they were meant to be signing for their new chalet and weren't sure if it would be ready in time. Having 'held' the week , they then triumphantly announced to my apartment manager that they had booked somewhere for much less for the following week.

:evil:

Oh, and their chalet still has no electric, plumbing or heating.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:roll: People just don't think sometimes do they. How rude!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Martha wrote:Slightly unwisely, she'd named the place she was going
For a winter let I once had someone who was trying to drive the price down again and again actually email me the HomeAway advert of the place she claimed was cheaper than me- using the email this to a friend link in the ad - it turned out the weekly price on the ad was more than she told me they were quoting as a monthly rate (and only just under the heavily discounted rate I had offered her as a monthly rate). I wished her well and didn't hear from her again .... but I did notice that although the availability calender on the other ad showed booked afterwards it flipped back to available again after a couple of weeks.
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

I would never discount on request, even out of season.

I might adjust prices of my own accord, yes... but I wouldn't adjust prices because simply someone's requested it.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

I would suggest they look for a rental property within their budget.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well he came straight back with an increased offer, but I still declined. frankly, even if he paid the full rate now I STILL wouldn't have him!