I'm about to cancel arrivals...would you?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tansy

I'm about to cancel arrivals...would you?

Post by tansy »

I have some people booked in for next week...they booked 2 weeks ago on a special...550 Euros for 1st 2 + 150 Euros per person = 1,300 Euros.

Because there was a baby and she sounded very pleasant and queried the price I rounded it down to 1,200 Euros...same as June price.

Then today I get an email in
We have another couple of people who want to visit for a couple of days while we are in France, since I don't know for sure whether or not they are coming would it be possible to leave some extra linen for us rather than getting you to make up the beds if its not necessary?
I am really worried now - I have emailed her that it is an extra 150 Euros per person... or if she wants the whole house it will be the full rate i.e. 1,700 Euros & up to her if her friends come. But if she doesn't agree & I let her in the house what is to stop the extra coming anyway?

I think I shall just cancel the booking - would you?
it's all a learning curve!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Tansy,
Are you nearby - will you know if other people stay?
Is the security deposit large enough to cover extra people if she doesn't pay upfront? I realise that that leaves you open to loss for damage which might not be covered.
If you are nearby you can arrange for linen to be available only if people come - but you can't stop people sleeping without sheets and this does happen.
Whether or not I cancelled would depend largely on these factors.
Usually, when this happened in the past I gave people the name of the local hotel and added that friends shouldn't use the facilities... but this is difficult to enforce, too.
Now, I would probably just say "Only those people on the booking form can stay or use the facilities".
My booking form allows for a penalty to be paid if this is not respected.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Problem is Alexia I'm an hour away and she has been quite vague as you can see with the possible dates.

I am angry as I have given her reduction... it's one of those cases of give an inch...

I am thinking of even storing the materesses from the spare beds in our linen room...but that is starting to get petty!

I looked back over the various emails - you know when you get little alarm bells - I've got them now!

Funnily enough they are from the area near to where we used to live in the UK - so I could get one of my chum's to find the house to have a look what sort we are expecting I suppose!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh,this is tricky.I wouldn't cancel but I wouldn't leave any spare linen either!If they want the linen they pay the extra!!
The e-mail is vague,she could be wanting the linen cos they are there the whole time!! You gave her a discount because there were only 2 + baby,any more have to pay.As Alexia says-maybe you could take money out of the security deposit if others turn up-but,short of driving round a few times to "spy",how will you know? :(
paolo

Post by paolo »

It is tricky if you don't have anyone there who can do a headcount for you. But this sort of arrangement is always going to be open to abuse if you are off-site because they could invite 6 friends who just bring their own sheets and towels with them. What about locking the bedrooms they won't need?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ah ha-that is a cunning plan and whilst it wouldn't normally be good, in this situation,as they have only paid for 2 it sounds like a very good idea! :idea:
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

CAN you lock them, Fraise? If you can, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. They have only paid part of the rent for the whole house, so they can't complain if they don't get to use the superfluous bedrooms.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

All our doors have locks-they come with them.How about yours Tansy?Not much good having a great suggestion if you can't carry it out!
In fact I had to take the keys out of my locks as I found out they were all the same and they opened the store cupboard too :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Same problem - keys fit all!

That is what is worrying me they will just bring their own linen!

In our terms it has
We offer the property for holiday use to you subject to confirmation by ourselves.
I've been out in the garden watering - that normally cools me down...hasn't - chopped logs with the old man and stacked some - that normally wears me out... it hasn't...

why do people abuse so...I wouldn't have the nerve especially with it being a special on NUMBERS staying :evil: :twisted:
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Tansy,

I wouldn't cancel as the chances of getting another booking now are probably remote. Better with some money than none. I would probably do what you have done and let them know that there would be a charge for additional arrivals and ask them to confirm one way or another. I would also probably call and ask ... yes they could lie but I think most people (decent - and I think most are) find it difficult to out and out lie.

I think from there you may need to grit your teeth and hope it works out. Swings and roundabouts.

I know it makes you mad but that is a price that is too high. Believe that it will work out and do what you can to try to make it work out - which you have done. Lets see if it becomes a problem first.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

This is a clear case of people abusing your good nature..it wouldn't be allowed if they stayed in a B&B or on a package holiday, so they should understand that you charge per person occupying the property.

Tansy I wouldn't cancel...and I wouldn't leave the extra linen either! I would email her back and tell her your charges for the extra guests and that linen (and bedding) will only be provided on confirmation that they agree to pay the extra if and when the extra guests arrive. I would lock the mattresses away!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

"

Same problem - keys fit all! "
Yes,but why can't you lock the doors they aren't allowed to use and not supply the key to the other door/s ??
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Hmmm..good idea! Only the rooms that are used should be left open and lock the spare rooms.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I personally like the idea of locking away the extra mattresses. It's undoubtedly a bit more work, but then it also doesn't matter if they bring their own linens or pick the locks to the bedrooms.
Brooke
oskar

Post by oskar »

Locking the doors is the answer. One of the villas I rent out has a 4th bedroom. It´s available for an extra charge. If they don´t ask for it at enquiry stage and pay for it, then it´s locked.

Even if you change the locks, I think you should have a bit of change left from your 1200 euros. :wink: