I'm about to cancel arrivals...would you?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Well are you ready for this....this has just arrived from them!!!
Hi Tansy,

One of the guys from the holiday has just sent me this, he thinks that  the deal we struck should make the overall price 1400 euros not 1500 can you clarify for me?  I think it went up to 1200 euros when the first extra couple decided to stay the whole week not just for a long weekend, I think he wants to know why we aren't getting the 100 euros discount for the new extra couple who are only staying for a long weekend.  Sorry to hassle you but since he's asked I need to follow it up.

Thanks

Debi

Hi Deb,

I was wondering whether we could have the discount the lady offered us, which seemed to be because a couple were only staying for a three days, we still have this situation with one couple coming for three days and it was this discount that persuaded us to use this property.

‘Therefore the price for your party...i.e. 7 people should be 1,300 Euros...however to show willing I could do your party for 1,000 Euros (which is for 5 persons) + 100 Euros for extra cleaning & linen’

We added two more people for 300 euros, should the total be 1400 euros?

1000 euros    
100 euros for extra cleaning & linen
300 euros

Don't forget when we first found this property on the internet it was 1300 euros per week in September.

thanks

The house was advertised as 1,600 Euros per week or 550 for ist 2 + 150 per person...I am being driven mad by these people...they seem to think I will do weekend rates but for the whole week!
it's all a learning curve!
debk

Post by debk »

OK, that would drive me over the edge!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

That "guy" should go somewhere else: he's not happy now, he's looking for a bargain, he's complaining - bad news. But, fingers crossed for you - take a deep breath - let us know how it turns out.
Best,
Alexia.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Uh oh Tansy,
This is not a good sign. I agree with debk & Alexia completely. Once there is an argument about the money, forget it, you do not want these folks in your beautiful home which obviously they can't afford, but you knew that already, right? I would definitely walk away from this one, and suggest telling them that another family has decided to go ahead and the house is therefore no longer available.

Better Luck next time.
Waves from America
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Debi has left you a way to politely turn down her discount request, it seems... she either really does feel badly about hassling you, or she is softening the blow by blaming the third party.

Either way, I would take her literally and just say something like, "No problem, I understand that many guests need to know where all the costs of their holiday are coming from. I offered the 100 euro extra discount when fewer people were staying at the property; but since wear and tear increases greatly when more people stay at a property, the discount isn't possible with larger parties. I trust that's a satisfactory answer for your friend, and I'll see you next week!"

(It is next week, right?)

Agreed, though, not a good sign. I hope you'll be keeping the security deposit until you've done a detailed inspection...
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I agree completely with Brooke's suggested reply; what she says about wear & tear increasing with numbers occupying is one reason I see red if anyone tries to bring more people than the maximum allowed. There are many other reasons.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Thanks ladies...I was a bit stronger than Brooke's polite version :oops: - but she has come back to me - turns out they are cyclists - some even cycling down from the ferry.

So it turns out what has happened is that 4 people booked the house then told all their fellow cyclist friends who all said they wanted to come and so on !

I actually asked a direct questioned and also explained that I was feeling uncomfortable - was it a party weekend plus we have lovely neighbours we don't want upsetting!

But I am still really worried about it...we are going over on Sunday morning to collect the extra 300 Euros and make sure all is well!
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote:"No problem, I understand that many guests need to know where all the costs of their holiday are coming from. I offered the 100 euro extra discount when fewer people were staying at the property; but since wear and tear increases greatly when more people stay at a property, the discount isn't possible with larger parties. I trust that's a satisfactory answer for your friend, and I'll see you next week!"...
Brooke,
I will definitely be asking you to phrase all my tricky responses from now on - brilliantly well said, even though personally I would have told them to take a hike with their bikes.
Waves from America
Marion

Post by Marion »

I once took a booking from someone who was living in Nice and needed somewhere for his brother to stay. He wasn't happy with the way I did things, 25% deposit, balance due 1 month ahead, £150 security deposit cheque and sending keys ahead with no-one to meet and greet and take inverntory. He phoned me one evening, in England, from Nice and was on the phone for an hour and a half saying how did he know that he could trust me as all the money was paid before they had seen the apartment and I might claim that there was damage that wasn't down to them etc etc.....

At the end, I just said that obviously what I was doing, although it had worked for 3 years without complaint, wasn't suitable for him and he should use a hotel. After that he said - "So it's all a matter of trust is it?". My reply was yes, you trust me and I have to trust my guests with my property. With that he just said OK. Needless to say, his brother and sister in law were perfect guest and there were no problems what so ever.

So probably if you explain, things will be fine. Keep us posted with how things go.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
tansy

Post by tansy »

Well, I went to see them yesterday - turns out they are probably one of the nicest lot I've had in the house all year! All in their late 30's - great group of people...normally when there is 9 in the house it is as if a bomb has gone off... but it was all very tidy and orderly.

Now I almost feel guilty... this is such a hard game at times - guessing who is coming to your house and how they will be!

Only another 3 weeks to go - then 3 week break until half term... then I'm closing up until March... I need a break now!!!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi-glad all's worked out well! The people in my house at the moment are lovely but when they booked they asked for a discount for under-occupancy-this ruffled my feathers slightly! I then realised,if you don't ask ,you don't get,so I e-mailed back a polite "no"-they booked anyway.I was being over cautious as I have found out- they are really nice people! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
enid

Post by enid »

I'm so pleased - don't feel guilty though - you can only make judgements on the facts in hand and I thnik you were right to feel apprehensive.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Tansy, they probably tire themselves out on their bikes every day so are too weary to trash the place!!

Cycle tourism is a bit of a growth area and something we look into at work (www.sustrans.org.uk). Not so much for holiday rentals but more B&B's, cafe's etc as cyclists can't carry much food/drink they are good spenders along routes.

Oh, I'm getting that end of season wind down feeling too. My last booking is last week in Oct. I'm updating the site with the new rates and taking Nov/Dec off rental apart from Christmas/New Year. Ah, lie in's on Saturday mornings are within my reach again. :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

What can you do? How can you know? Some of the best guests, ever, are those who gave you a hard time in their e-mails. No matter how hard you try life is full of surprises but would you change it?

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tansy, I know I've been gone through all of this, but I'm so glad it worked out so well!

We have a guest coming to the house in a couple of weeks who has been very picky in e-mails -- every last detail needs confirmation -- and I'm just hoping that means he'll be a meticulous and perfect guest, and not that he'll let it all loose once he does actually arrive! He's staying for a month, so there's great potential for damage...
Brooke