Aargh

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
victoriac

Aargh

Post by victoriac »

http://www.christopherchalets.co.uk/test

This is just a test page so none of the links are working but could anyone who has a spare few minutes click on it for me?

I have a couple of computers at home, both with Internet Explorer 8 on them - on one of them when you hover over the menu at the top (Home, Chalets, Prices etc) the drop down menus appear.
On my other older laptop when I hover over the top menu no drop down menus appear at all.
It's driving me crazy.

I've tried it on a couple of friends computers and the drop down menus seem to work but I'd like to know if it's a problem on other computers before I put the new site on the web.

Thanks guys!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

They work for me in IE8 and Google Chrome!
A-two

Post by A-two »

I had this problem on a site a couple of years ago, where it was only showing the parent page, not the child pages. Check which browser is on your old computer - my money is on IE 6, which had lots of problems, this being one of them. At the time we ran into it, lots of people had still not upgraded to IE7, so we ended up deleting the drop down menu after the same frustrations and not being able to fix it. In fact, we just reinstated the drop downs in a recent upgrade because most are now on IE7 or IE8, so we're no worrying about it any more as it affects so few people. If you have a site index, or links to child pages at the bottom of the parent page, they can find the extra info that way. Hope this helps.

It works fine on Safari by the way. Also, there's a website where you can type in your URL and run a free cross browser check - does anyone remember what it's called? Maybe ask in the Workshop? It's not really a website review issue.
Waves from America
A-two

Post by A-two »

I had this problem on a site a couple of years ago, where it was only showing the parent page, not the child pages. If Check which browser is on your old computer - my money is on IE 6, which had lost of problems. At the time we ran into it, lots of people had still not upgraded to IE7, so we ended up deleting the drop down menu. We just reinstated in a recent upgrade because most are now on IE7 or IE8, so we're no worrying about it any more as it affects so few people. If you have a site index, or links to child pages at the bottom of the parent page, they can find the extra info that way. Hope this helps.

It works fine on Safari by the way. There's a website where you can type in your URL do a free cross browser check - does anyone remember what it's called?
Waves from America
enid

Post by enid »

Fine in Firefox
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

A-two wrote:There's a website where you can type in your URL do a free cross browser check - does anyone remember what it's called?
http://browsershots.org
victoriac

Post by victoriac »

Thanks everyone - That's a relief, hopefully my old laptop is just being a bit buggy. I can get on with it and finish now.
I'll make sure I put a link to a site index on the bottom though, I wouldn't have thought of that A-two!
Thanks again!