getting ready for next year

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
jane reed

getting ready for next year

Post by jane reed »

i have survived another year and have started writing a list of all the little and big jobs that need doing ready for next season. Days in the office getting on top of paperwork, updating customer data base. Carpet fitters arranged, plumbers booked in.
i have always enjoyed this time of year but not this year, i am realy fed up and not very motivated. any suggestions for a more positive winter period.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Wish I could help...but I always hate my 'getting ready' time of year because I seem to have a list that is longer than time allows.
My 'down' period is now. Between October and Christmas I don't think about rentals at all. Which is fab! Come new year though and I start the dreaded list.

This is my 5th year renting and I think I've hit a brick wall on motivation, this year was tough guest-wise. I hope I get my mojo back come 2010

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Having two seasons, I feel like I am thinking about it all year round, despite having no guests in the apartment since mid September, as winter bookings start coming in as soon as the schools go back. I've started a new website to keep me motivated.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Know the feeling Jane. We have a 'break' at the moment and have all sorts of jobs to do, but its hard getting motivated - we are seriously thinking of giving the whole business a bit of a break by taking in long term tenants. It doesn't help when the monies keep going out of the account each month and nothing is coming in to replenish it :( Having said this I do find Jan onwards when all the enquiries/bookings come in exciting and motivating!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

This year I decided we should do maintenance and overhaul paperwork and websites etc. in November and then have a holiday. It has done wonders for the motivation! We leave on Thursday - lovely hotels in Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria for 10 days. We won't be finished by then but we have achieved a huge amount with very hard work.
enid

Post by enid »

I always nip back to the UK to visit the family - once before Christmas and one before the season starts. Try to take a complete break from everything but answering enquiries even if it's only for a week.
jane reed

Post by jane reed »

glad it isn't just me. its the time of year when we spend the most money and earn peanuts. i have already had a break but enjoyed it so much but didn't want to work again.
Smile and the world smiles back
(some days its a grimace,but customers do not know)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It isn't just you. I'm finding it difficult to get motivated, but hope to get something done in the next two weeks. It is hard when the season finishes to contemplate everything as you are so exhausted. My new TVs are arriving next week and I'm ordering some big beds which will need to be put together and re-doing a couple of showers. I'm not doing any painting before Christmas as I have a few bookings and prefer to leave all that until Jan/Feb when there is likely to be more of clear window.