new website gite 4 people aveyron

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
chris and emma

new website gite 4 people aveyron

Post by chris and emma »

Hi all,

i have just set up this two websites for our gite, be great if you could give us some feedback

chris and emma

www.everything-valon.com
www.aveyron-gites.com

thankyou
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Chris and Emma

Loads of good stuff there! Lot's of clever grooviness (I like the offset photos on the first site) and it's all quite professional looking. I like the green and orange but find the black text a tiny bit lacking in contrast for my aging eyes.

Also you have some text overrunning onto the footer in Firefox
(e.g. "Note : This is a new site and under contruction, more info soon" is sitting a bit low in http://aveyron-gites.com/#)

Now, how can I put this? You are both very photogenic :lol: but I think you'd be better off with a picture of a gite right up there on the first page. (Do please take that in the spirit intended)

When I hit your site as a punter I am not looking for attractive young people, I am looking for an attractive place to stay. I do quite like the idea of seeing your faces as it personalises things, but not on P1 above the fold.

Otherwise I think you are well on the way there.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I too second windy's comments...
Is that called second wind? :lol:
plus I would add some photos are little on the dark side. Thinks on you link page take you away from your own website.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Titti

Post by Titti »

I actually quite like the friendly picture of the two of you, but of course one always run the risk that people might be attracted or not your accommodation because they like your face or not. It's your choice.

In contrast I really do not like the fish-eye picture. Personally I can see that you have a very beautiful house but some might think that you try to "enlarge" an otherwise small space. Just a thought :)
lorca

Post by lorca »

I think your gite looks really beautiful - and I agree that you should put a pic of it on the home page. But overall I really like your website.

One small thing - the gite is for 4, but from the pictures it looks like you´ve only got relaxing-type seating for 2 in the lounge. I know a lot of people (from our guests anyway, and not just the oldies :wink: ) want somewhere they can chill out comfortably in front of the TV or listen to music or whatever...

But apart from that the very best of luck - you´ve got a great place
Garri

Post by Garri »

There's quite a few glaring problems on both sites that no-one seems to have picked up on yet.

I prefer the look of this one: http://aveyron-gites.com/ but the thumbnails down the left take you to external sites without warning. Everyone visiting this site will have the expectation of the thumbnails leading to actual content on your site.

When you click on the nav item 'gite 1 valon 4 people' the main heading of the page is a link marked: welcome to everything-valon.com - which then takes you to the other site: http://www.everything-valon.com

Windy is right, the photo on the front page of Everything Valon needs to be replaced with photos of the actual property. Don't get me wrong, you both look like nice friendly people, which I'm sure you are, but you have to look at this from the point of view of potential guests.

The opening blurb on the home page is too wordy and hard to read in that colour combo.

Perhaps consider placing your best shot of the property on the left with a strong and succinct strapline summing up the property in 140 charaters (in bold) next to it, followed by a list of highlights in bullet points.

This will appear above the fold.

Then follow it with a series of supporting photos down the left each accompanied by some short descriptive blurb with links to each relevant page so we can read more if we wish.

I also recommend the footer of every page to include a call to action, e.g. If you're interested in booking our gite then fill out this form (or provide a link to your booking form on the site)