selfcateringhols.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
bazza

selfcateringhols.com

Post by bazza »

Hi, first of all just wanted to say hi to everyone since it's the polite thing to do :)

I've been looking around for sites to advertise our property and came across selfcateringhols.com which looked like a decent place to advertise. However, since the guests would be booking throught their website and paying throught them my problem would be, how do i get them to sign the rental contract before the booking is confirmed? Does anybody else use that website? and if so how did you get around this problem?

Thanks
Garri

Post by Garri »

I came across that site on my travels the other day and although I'm not an owner I was impressed with the design/layout and how the site worked generally. One of the much better ones in my view and I will give them a shot next time we need to find somewhere as the site is easier on the eye and brain.

I liked the illustration in the header - very classy. Made we wonder if it will change when we get to the ski season and if the golfer on right will morph into a skier. But, their branding is not good. The name Self Catering Hols is only one letter short of self catering holes.

They have contact details and phone number so why not give them a call?
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I've just had a look at their site, and agree that it looks good and professional. I'm puzzled, though - and have emailed them to ask - why they think potential renters will pay a registration fee. I think we had this discussion about another rental site not long ago.

I don't think the average punter is going to make the links between 'hols' and 'holes'.... :wink:
Chalky

Garri

Post by Garri »

Chalky, I didn't see the bit about charging the renter a fee - is that true? If so, utter madness!

I just looked at their help screens and sadly got this: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: concepts_intro() in /var/www/html/selfcater/owners/includes/help_functions.inc on line 264

Oh well, full marks to them for the design/layout and nice vector graphic.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I don't think the average punter is going to make the links between 'hols' and 'holes'....
(cue Michael Caine voice) 'ang on a mo', I've just had an idea!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Bazza,

As an owner this is just the sort of site I keep well away from.

They take the bookings and then inform the owner of what they have done. No thank you! I want to be in touch with and get to know my prospective client before the booking.

They collect the money and account to the owner at the end of each month. No thank you! I want the money up-front.

They charge the owner 10% of each rental payment and they charge the client £25. No thank you! I want full value and I want my clients to have the same.

On an hypothetical basis, if they produced 20 bookings to the value of £15,000 they would charge me £1,500 in total and would charge my guests £500 in total. Any similar site with a one-off annual fee would charge me £150 and my guests, nothing. No thank you!

Alan
bazza

Post by bazza »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was also very impressed with the layout and it looks like they genuinely do a lot of advertisement to promate their site, but when I found out about them charging the renters too....well, that's put me right off.
SCHDoug

Post by SCHDoug »

Hello all,

we saw this thread on selfcateringhols and thought it worth clarifying a couple of points (I am from selfcateringhols).
Firstly, thanks for all who thought the site pleasing in one way or another, we have worked hard to make it so.
There are however a couple of misconceptions that really need clearing up:

> They take the bookings and then inform the owner of what they have done. No thank you! I want to be in touch with and get to know my prospective client before the booking.

We have a booking system that allows customers to book 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so certainly it is true that a customer could book without prior contact. In the main however we find that the large majority of customers like to have contact prior to booking. Customers can (and do) contact owners directly by clicking on 'have you got a question'. They can also contact us and we will act as an intermediatary. Customer service is very high priority for us and we tend to have a close working relationship with both our customers and our owners. Additionally, when a customer books, although we have payment authorisation from their bank (so it is in effect guaranteed), it is provisional and the owner ALWAYS has final say before it is confirmed.

>They collect the money and account to the owner at the end of each month. No thank you! I want the money up-front.

Our system is different to the way in which many websites work, but one that seems to go down well with both customers and owners: we do take all the money up front, this pleases customers because they don't then have to travel with large sums of cash to pay on arrival and they don't have to send money to a stranger who for all they know may be scamming them. From the owners perspective it also guarantees that people who have booked will actually turn up and pay, and not leave them with an empty slot they cannot fill. Furthermore, because we take the full amount 2 months prior to the start of the booking, the owner receives all their money before the customer arrives. Note that in the case of last minute bookings this isn't possible, but again, once owners are happy with the system they understand that once a customer has booked, they will then see the money in their account without further ado.

> They charge the owner 10% of each rental payment and they charge the client £25. No thank you! I want full value and I want my clients to have the same.

This is absolutely correct, and we consider it very good value for money (and below the market average). Owners will know that marketing a property is time consuming and often expensive if you advertise and or have your own website. Through our system, owners receive:
- an interactive webpage that receives ongoing optimisation and advertising
- a system whereby customers can book 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- a system whereby customers can contact them directly (and message threads are kept so you know what has been said before when replying)
- a system of displaying availability, so as to minimise availability queries
Customers furthermore receive a one-stop location where they can peruse properties, region guides, see availability, contact owners and also book directly.
We also have terms and conditions that are designed to protect both the interests of customers and owners, and will act as intermediataries in any disputes. We also provide 7 day a week email and telephone support. Because we believe in the value of our service, we charge nothing up front to have your property listed.
If you think that this is not good value for money, then we wish you good luck!

>Any similar site with a one-off annual fee would charge me £150 and my guests, nothing. No thank you!

I beg you to show me a site that offers anything more than an advertisement for £150 per year. It would then be entirely up to you to field all enquiries, manage cash transactions, and sell your property, something we do over the phone every day of the week. Again, it costs nothing to be listed with selfcateringhols unless we make it work for you, whereas you can pay your £150 up front and get nothing in return - no thank you!

One other point I saw in the thread was that we charge customers a registration fee - not correct. For more information on listing your property and our system I recommend reading www.selfcateringhols.com/owners/help_co ... erview.php.

It's worth noting that we're *right* in the middle of upgrading our owners site so a lot of things are in the process of being upgraded and improved, much of which has unfortunately not yet made it's way onto our help guide.

[Edited in line with forum, guidelines]
bazza

Post by bazza »

>One other point I saw in the thread was that we charge customers a registration fee - not correct.

As your link didn't work could you please clarify this comment you made? The last email I received from yourself stated "There is a one-off admin fee of £25 per property added, which is taken from the first booking, and after that no other charges except the 10% commission." Is this not surely just a registration fee in disguise?

Thanks
Garri

Post by Garri »

It's still a decent site and one I would use in future although none of the calendars seem to show availability, or rather they all show as unavailable (or at least the sample I looked at) Not that bothers me as I don't pay attention to them anyway when making an enquiry which is probably wise judging from SCH's site :wink:
Garri

Post by Garri »

Bazza, I think that £25 goes to the affiliate perhaps?
SCHDoug

Post by SCHDoug »

Hello again..

>One other point I saw in the thread was that we charge customers a registration fee - not correct.

>As your link didn't work could you please clarify this comment you made?

OK I guess we need to tie up the 'terms' so as to avoid any confusion:
- when I talk of 'customers' I mean booking, holidaying customers.
- when I say 'registration fee' I mean a fee to register to use the site.
So.. no, customers don't have to pay a registration fee.

> The last email I received from yourself stated "There is a one-off admin fee of £25 per property added, which is taken from the first booking, and after that no other charges except the 10% commission." Is this not surely just a registration fee in disguise?

There is a one-off admin fee for adding properties, which reflects the work that two people do liasing with owners to ensure that there property details are accurate and correct.
Again, our philosophy is that we only charge when we've earned it, so you would not pay anything unless we generate income for you.

I hope that makes is clearer!
PS you say the link didn't work? If you let me know what page you were looking at I'll look into it. Either contact me directly or here..

Thanks,
Doug Andrews
SCHDoug

Post by SCHDoug »

Hi Garri,

I'm glad you think the site is OK - if a calendar is blank it is because the owners haven't entered prices :(
We are only as good as the owners we work with!

>It's still a decent site and one I would use in future although none of the calendars seem to show availability, or rather they all show as unavailable (or at least the sample I looked at) Not that bothers me as I don't pay attention to them anyway when making an enquiry which is probably wise judging from SCH's site :wink:[/quote]
Garri

Post by Garri »

Yeah, the link didn't work for me either but I cut and paste it without the full stop after the php. and it worked OK.

However, it still doesn't make any sense or am I being totally thick?

Cut & paste from the SCH site:
In addition to the commission, SCH charges the customer a £25 booking fee. This does not affect the amount that you will receive, but increases the amount the customer has to pay by £25.

When you say customer do you mean the holiday-maker, the person making the booking?
SCHDoug

Post by SCHDoug »

>However, it still doesn't make any sense or am I being totally thick?

>Cut & paste from the SCH site:
In addition to the commission, SCH charges the customer a £25 booking fee. This does not affect the amount that you will receive, but increases the amount the customer has to pay by £25.

OK, this is going back to the lengthy post I put up earlier. Basically, when a customer books, we take a 10% commission from the owner, and a £25 booking fee from the customer. The reason behind this is that, because our system allows (if owners want it to) customers to book short breaks of 3 days and up, we can take bookings of very low value, which would be uneconomic for us to process on a purely % basis. Conversely, we have some very high value properties and it didn't seem fair to increase the % commission which would ultimately cost owners of ski chalets for example, a lot of money. This seemed the most sensible solution.

I know I have been insisting it is not a registration fee but I can understand the confusion. What I mean to say is, customers don't have to pay anything to use the site, but they do when they book.

It is also worth noting that we recently brought in a reward scheme for booking customers, which means that they get £25 as a result of anyone booking from their recommendation. This includes themseleves, so repeat bookers would not be charged the £25.

Doug