Local MP sticks Up for Cumbria Tourism

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Windy

Local MP sticks Up for Cumbria Tourism

Post by Windy »

Early Day Motion

CUMBRIA TOURISM

Farron, Timothy

That this House recognises the outstanding natural beauty of Cumbria and its role as one of Britain's leading tourist attractions; notes that Cumbria is home to two leading national parks, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales; further notes that the county's tourism industry brings in an estimated £1.3 billion per year in income; expresses concern that the official tourism body for Cumbria has a budget of only one million pounds a year compared to Visit Scotland with a budget of £48 million, Visit London with a budget of over £15 million and the Yorkshire Tourism Board with a budget of eight million pounds; and urges the Government to create a new deal for Cumbria Tourism by providing it with an annual budget of £10 million to put it on a par with equivalent tourist boards across the country, to boost marketing in the UK and overseas and to protect and develop tourist information centres.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Good to see he's on the ball. I think claiming that Cumbria is home to two national parks - although perhaps technically correct - is stretching it a little, though.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

There is a move to incorporate our area of Cumbria into the Dales NP, and effectively extend it to include more of the Howgills and up to the M6. Sedbergh is, of course, in the Dales NP and in Cumbria. Thing is, if it does happen, it'll make me more inclined to go with the Yorkshire Board rather than Cumbria, as they seem rather more switched on whereas Cumbria have their heads shoved so far up their backsides that they can't see anything beyond the Lake District.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Greenbarn wrote:...Cumbria have their heads shoved so far up their backsides that they can't see anything beyond the Lake District...
I was going to put something to that effect in my previous post but refrained. You took the words right out of my mouth!

You only have to look at the website and see the logo with 'the lake district' in big letters and 'cumbria' in tiny letters to see where their agenda lies :roll: (not to mention their Twitter username, already discussed in another thread here).
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Greenbarn, I have avoided the Lake District for a while now because of the crowds and congested roads (sorry Windy). It seems lie you can't have any peace and quiet there any more. I'm always astounded by the fantastic drive I have going over to Lancaster. Once I turn off the A1 at Scotch Corner, it is breathtaking, right until I reach the outskirts of Lancaster. The M6 from Tebay must be the most beautiful stretch of motorway in the world.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I have avoided the Lake District for a while now because of the crowds and congested roads (sorry Windy)
many tourists are the same which is why the Troutbeck Valley is so idyllic Helen!

On a Bank Holiday we drive up there, park the car and never get it out again - we stay away from Ambleside and Bowness, go on amazing fellwalks from the front door, visit lovely friendly pubs and never see any crowds unless we want to.

If you want peace and quiet it really is still there - You just need to know where to go! (Ask me if you are going again!!!)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Helen, I have to agree with your assessment of that stretch of the M6! To the east lie the Howgills, which Wainwright described as looking like a herd of sleeping elephants - wonderfully evocative.

We're 15 minutes from the M6, east of Tebay, but in a different world, and we're benefitting from the fact that it offers our guests solitude, yet easy access to the Dales and the Lakes. I doubt it will ever sell as well as the Lakes, which must almost sell itself - one of the reasons I have a problem with Cumbria Tourism's complacency. Of course, as well as the Dales and Lakes, there's other beautiful areas within easy reach, such as Teesdale and the road past High Force to Alston. I wonder if CT have even heard of Alston....
Do turn off the A685 and come and see us some time on your way back from Lancaster!

Windy - is it the same Troutbeck where the Broadoaks Country House Hotel is located? Lovely place, changed hands a while back but they still have the same head chef and still take dogs.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Windy, next time we head over that way I will.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Windy, next time we head over that way I will. I am happy to be proved wrong.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Yes Broadoaks is in Troutbeck.

Helen you are going to be torn between the tranquility of the Troutbeck Valley and the harmony of the Howgills

What a choice to have to make :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ah, but then I will have two wonderful places to go and walk our dog. :wink:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Get yourself over here! What are you waiting for :-)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Greenbarn wrote:...I doubt it will ever sell as well as the Lakes, which must almost sell itself - one of the reasons I have a problem with Cumbria Tourism's complacency...
Hear, hear... the part of Cumbria that arguably needs the least promotion seems to get the most which is a little ironic.

I can vouch for Windy's recommendation of Troutbeck. I think there's three Troutbecks in Cumbria when I last looked, but he's referring to this one which I believe is where the hotel you mention can be found (don't quote me on that, though).

I know GB's neck of the woods less well, but it is lovely also.

Plus I of course have to put in a good word for Kendal which is where I live and work, and where our new property will be opening next year. Very different to the above but with its own unique charm and without the shellsuit brigade that you'll find in Bowness (apart from a few locals, perhaps! ;)).

Kendal has a lot to offer - the castle (where Katherine Parr lived) makes for a lovely, short walk; there's the Brewery Arts Centre with a large of variety of events taking place throughout the year, and lots of attractions within the town (Quaker Tapestry, Abbot Hall, Kendal Museum, etc.). Sizergh Castle (and Sizergh Farm Barn Shop) are also nearby.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We could compromise, and all meet on the central reservation of the M6 :lol:

Joking apart, there is a stretch of the M6 between J38 and J39 where an unclassified road runs up between the N and S carriageways, and meets a section of the B6261, still between the carriageways. Is this the only place in the UK where you can legally drive up the central reservation of a motorway?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

That'll teach me to take so long to post... half a dozen new posts appeared in the meantime!