Naiive VAT question

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Plenty of ways to get around it, I would have thought. With a farm, for instance, make sure the cottages aren't anything to do with the farm business, or at least rope in an innocent relative?

MG
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:Thank you, everyone.

My accountant has called me this morning confirming that there is VAT in rent afterall, and he and a partner are very grateful for me pointing it out as they hadn't realised, and apparently, come April, it will effect a number of their farming clients that have holiday cottages.
And how much are you charging your accountant for this basic advice? I believe it's somewhere in Noddy and Big Ears Decide to become Accountants.....
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Mountain Goat wrote:...or at least rope in an innocent relative
I think he was writing to them today advising something along those lines...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

And how much are you charging your accountant for this basic advice?
It's what I said earlier here - you do the resrearch for them and they rubber stamp it and charge you professional fees.

It was the same with the capital allowances thing for me - I had to explain it to my accountant. Talk about the blind leading the blind :evil:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If any of your accountants need dodgy advice, just give them my details - pleased to help. :lol:

There seem to be two types of accountant - one sticks by the book and won't even discuss workarounds - the others have sworn some sort of vendetta against the IR and will do anything to help their customers. We need more of the latter.

If you're ever faced with some insane mega-tax bill don't hesitate to get 2nd or 3rd opinions (in my experience).

MG