Gite rage!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We once had to cancel a booking because we had to do immediate work in the house. When I e-mailed the client to say that, we had already found them suitable accomodation (actually it was better for their party, and the last-minute discount meant it was also for less money).

The e-mail I got back was beyond rude -- they accused me of being a liar and trying to take their money, which didn't make any sense, as we were giving them money back and setting them up in very nice replacement accomodation. I was very proud of myself for remaining calm in my response rather than bidding them an equally rude good riddance. A day later, I got back a very sheepish apology from them -- but all the same, I was glad to be rid of them!

I know it's not exactly the same situation, but when I read the title "gite rage," this is what came to mind.
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fraise - it is a policy of 1st come 1st serve basis ... isn't it?... try that with Mrs Stroppy - if she didn't get there 1st tough sh one t... :wink:

Don't let them get you!!!!
it's all a learning curve!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

It's great having lots of people (roughly in the same boat!)to bounce ideas around-sort of puts stuff into perspective!! My mountain has shrunk rapidly into a teeny tiny molehole!Thanks :lol:
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fraise you've just summed up what this forum is all about...we all understand and we gain strength that it isn't just us on our own!

just about to go and do 2 changeover & possibly see the cyclists in...if they get here before we finish...but little cheer for me (I know I'm being mean) but it is BUCKETING with rain this morning (first in almost a month!) - can't help it...but tee hee :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: [/u]
enid

Post by enid »

First post from me after being absolutely knocked out by some vile virus - still coughing but not enough to annoy everyone now!

Tansy - I do hope that the bikers are OK - you give me great confidence to stand firm - I always bend over far to far to see the other point of view and if folks aren't happy I look to my actions first - I am hardening up I assure you!

The 'friends' that I had to stay and left without warning have sent a note! As we don't have the guest bedrooms ready in our part of the house I had blocked two weeks in one gite for family and friends - I know but I told you I was too soft! No thank you for that of course - just a long list of how we had disapointed them - no asking after our health - and they say they aren't coming back - now that was the good news!

You had to go with the firm booking Fraise - and after all it is your property and you can let it to who you like! You hadn't cheated anyone and it's easy for this problem to arise when you are answering e mails that can result in a delay.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Wow Enid - that musthave been tough opening that letter... poor you.

I too am far too soft...we have some friends coming over yet again...they keep coming bless them - but it is hard work - he has dreadful asthma attacks near animals and as he has had triple heart surgey it does need to be watched, (we have a present SIX cats & 3 dogs!) she never lifts a finger - they were incredibly wealthy at one stage so are used to drinking champagne only.

Sorry, here it is beer, keep the windows open & here is the kitchen sink...can't be doing it all wrong as this is their fifth visit to us! But I need to go through where they will be staying - our guest hut in the garden (converted boulangerie), with a fine tooth comb and the Dyson at full suction..each visit we say never again - and each year they email us with dates they are coming!

Get well soon.

Re being mean about therain feel guilty - but it has turned glorious again so hopefully it will mean it will be a successful visit for our cycling moaners!
evabal

maybe a "warning note"

Post by evabal »

I have a little disclaimer on my "pay" page that says:
"DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU CONFIRMED YOUR RESERVATION WITH US!!!!!!" Otherwise the downpayment can be down via Paypal.
I also send a link with the e-mail where I confrim the reservation that has the link to pay.

Maybe it shoud be made clear on the reservation page that no bookings are final until first you confirmed and downpayment be made and received.

All that aside I belive you did the right thing.

Just an idea,
Eva
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I would definetly go with the second. The rude one is just not worth the hassle. Contract or no contract there can be no claim for damages and it wouldn't stand up in a court, not that it would go that far.

Forget them. I wouldn't even be polite in my response to gits like this! I rather enjoy taking a bat to people who think they can stand over others like this - call it sport :twisted:
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Thankyou for even more valuable contributions you lovely people you!! I definitely feel a group hug coming on!!! I wanted to say that:
"Maybe it shoud be made clear on the reservation page that no bookings are final until first you confirmed and downpayment be made and received. "
...is an excellent suggestion and one that I shall act on.
:D :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

A little update...No 1 was not telling the truth- no cheque ever arrived in the post.No 2's arrived promptly :lol: Phew-it is so nice to have people to "chat" to who actually understand what you are rambling on about!!! Those not in "the businesss" seem bemused by the whole thing and often ask "isn't it more bother than it's worth?"....hmmmm, not such a bad question actually :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:A little update...No 1 was not telling the truth- no cheque ever arrived in the post.No 2's arrived promptly :lol: Phew-it is so nice to have people to "chat" to who actually understand what you are rambling on about!!! Those not in "the businesss" seem bemused by the whole thing and often ask "isn't it more bother than it's worth?"....hmmmm, not such a bad question actually :roll:
No, of course she hadn't posted the cheque. It was all a bluff to keep you hanging on and then - no booking. "First come, first served" isn't a bad practice to adopt.

I think that some of us are just too nice. We care for our properties. We care about our visitors and their holidays. We tend to (over)react to whinges and whines. We even apologise for the weather, sometimes. If all our visitors were like us there would be no problems, but they are not - read of John's recent experiences in "Managing your guests - Youngster".

Firm up folks. Guests are not doing us any favours in coming to our properties. We're not charities, we're in business. It's not personal, it's business ("The Godfather") and the customer is not always right.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Not sure this is relevant, but I have had several similar situations. Funny to go days with no inquiries and then receive two overlapping ones within hours of each other. Go figure!

I ended up adding this clause in my first "yes, the property is available* for your dates" email:

*IMPORTANT: This email does not constitute a tentative reservation nor a commitment to hold these dates for you. Availability will change without notice. Reservations are only confirmed upon receipt of payment....

... and then that first email ends with a "If you are interested in making a reservation, please let me know and I will send a link to our secure payment page." (Pre credit card, it used to say "I will mail payment instructions.")

At this point, if I have two inquires for overlapping dates, I email or call both and let them know. Of, if I prefer one over the other, I only tell the preferred person of the duplicate request.

The inquirer is now responsible for contacting me again for final reservation/payment information. At that point, I send them the link to our credit card payment page (which they access from our Rental Agreement and from which they have to click a "By processing payment, I accept these Terms & Conditions" button). Included in the Reservation Confirmation email is this:

IMPORTANT: This tentative reservation will only be held for three (3) days. If you do not pay within this timeframe, please do not make payment without double-checking availability with us again. (If you pay outside of this timeframe and a refund is subsequently required due to unavailability, all refund processing costs will be your responsibility.)

None of this is perfect, but now when I have double inquiries there is no doubt who is in first place in the process (eg, whomever has requested/received the Reservation Confirmation email with the payment link).

And when people fuss unpleasantly, which they do, I merely re-send them the phrase "Availability will change without notice. Reservations are only made upon receipt of payment." and explain that the other party moved faster. When they fuss nicely, I suggest alternative dates for staying with us. :)

Not sure this is helpful but, heck, that double-inquiry stress is no fun. Thought I'd throw in a couple of cents on a lazy Tuesday.

Deb Kleber
www.VisitingPortugal.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Thankyou for that Deb.As Fluffy says perhaps some of us (me :oops: )have to get tougher! It is a business after all and maybe we do loose sight of the fact that we OWN this valuable investment :? Great to have things shown in perspective :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fraise - I did have a similar situation last year then got another bookingthat sent the money straight away - the first lot sent a cheque after making out it had been returned as I had given them the wrong address... it really is First come First serve basis - I just say point this to every booking that is made.

For all my bookings for 2006 I do not send out an invoice until January - that is for deposit as well - I hold the bookings on receipt of the booking form and treat it as a confirmed booking - keep any enquiries as a back up - I then send the invoices all out together - the deposit is then due 14 days after invoice sent - if money doesn't arrive within the time frame then I release the booking.

It works for me - plus makes it easier for the start of the new tax year. Also it is making it a double check on on all the bookings and helps with budgeting etc as in January I like to renew towels, duvets covers, furniture etc. So at least I have a bit of a healthy balance to go shopping with.

I know if I release any weeks in the busy January/February time they will re-sell very quickly.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fraise - I did have a similar situation last year then got another bookingthat sent the money straight away - the first lot sent a cheque after making out it had been returned as I had given them the wrong address... it really is First come First serve basis - I just say point this to every booking that is made.

For all my bookings for 2006 I do not send out an invoice until January - that is for deposit as well - I hold the bookings on receipt of the booking form and treat it as a confirmed booking - keep any enquiries as a back up - I then send the invoices all out together - the deposit is then due 14 days after invoice sent - if money doesn't arrive within the time frame then I release the booking.

It works for me - plus makes it easier for the start of the new tax year. Also it is making it a double check on on all the bookings and helps with budgeting etc as in January I like to renew towels, duvets covers, furniture etc. So at least I have a bit of a healthy balance to go shopping with.

I know if I release any weeks in the busy January/February time they will re-sell very quickly.