Query over cost of short break - should I explain?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

Query over cost of short break - should I explain?

Post by harcourtv57 »

We have had an enquiry from Dutch potential guests who wanted two short breaks (3 nights in Jan and 2 nights in NOvember). I sent details and they have responded saying that they are disappointed at the rate quoted as they worked it out pro rata on the weekly rate shown. In addition they are put off by the damage deposit and even by having to pay for the holiday before arriving, as they say that 'we don't even pay for the accommodation in Holland until we check in on arrival and they won't take a deposit either'

My first reaction was to explain, but on the other hand, should I? These conditions are hardly unusual! Has anyone else had this experience with Dutch guests?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Our Dutch guests all pay in advance - very rarely does anyone refuse, in which case we refuse their booking. One lot of this winter's Dutch guests actually paid their 2nd half in September, when it was not due until December (2 months before arrival). I wonder how they are travelling to you - whether by ferry or plane, the travel provider will insist on 100% at the time of booking, I think. I would try explaining but accept that you may have to walk away from this one - unless you are prepared to give in to their demands.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks Margaret thats useful. I just wondered if it was usual with Dutch guests, as I know that French guests often do not expect to pay anything until arrival.

We would not be prepared to change our usual conditions which are 20% deposit to secure the booking, balance payable 6 weeks before arrival and £100 returnable security deposit. And as I said I assume this is pretty standard for most sc accommodation, whatever country its in.
lorca

Post by lorca »

It may be worth explaining why it´s not just a pro rata daily rate - we´ve had to do this in the past (ie cleaning costs etc) and people are generally fine once they understand. Short breakers sometimes assume it´s the same as booking into a hotel where the daily costs are constant.
olive

Post by olive »

"Has anyone else had this experience with Dutch guests?"

Yes.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Margaret wrote:Our Dutch guests all pay in advance
In my short experience, wonderful guests and no problems for us.
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
olive

Post by olive »

Tizfata, which web site do your Dutch guests come from? We have had some great ones (but they are very tight - part of their history - and drive a hard bargain).
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I explained briefly about the booking rates and conditions and ended by saying I hoped this would reassure them and that they would reconsider their booking.

And this was their instant reply:
The accommodation was most definitely self catering.
We have only recently returned from Holland (my husband is Dutch) and our apartment was very similar to your studio apartment and cleaned daily (fresh towels every 2 days) by the owner at no extra cost to us. Our view was wonderful - sea to the left and the pretty town with all the Christmas lights and decorations to the right! The whole week (inclusive of parking permit) was £338 and we were there for the St.Nicholas celebrations which is peak winter season for the Dutch!

We were very surprised that the owners refused a deposit (I e mailed them twice as we couldn't believe it!) and only wanted payment on our arrival but x assured us that it was the way things are done in Holland. We hope to go to Holland again next year, having found a lovely apartment in another pretty Dutch town that offers the same booking terms and is even better value for money!

So, sadly, we will not be able to stay at Heatherley but do thank you for explaining your terms to us.
So thats that! And it seems that they are not from Holland but from the UK (which was my misunderstanding from what they said) so even less reason for them to expect Dutch rental costs and conditions.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Olive: I am not in the office at the moment but our Dutch guests came from:
an agency called Villagrande that works with the Italian agency we used to work with
Ryanairvillas (I think it is dead now and that it will resuscitate soner or later. The very nice guests recommended us to a collegue that booked for 2010)
vacationrentalpeople
H-L
homelidays
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
olive

Post by olive »

Thank you, Tizfata.
Our favourite Dutch returning guests - delightful and kind - came from perfectplaces.com
brenda

Post by brenda »

We too love having Dutch guests who made up around 75% of our clients in 2009. Most came via spain-holiday or the free site www.vakantie-planner.com with a couple from OD.
lorca

Post by lorca »

[quote="harcourtv57"] this was their instant reply:

[quote]The accommodation was most definitely self catering.
We have only recently returned from Holland (my husband is Dutch) and our apartment was very similar to your studio apartment and cleaned daily (fresh towels every 2 days) by the owner at no extra cost to us. (quote9)

Harcourt this sounds like an Aparthotel, quite common on the continent, a hybrid between a hotel and a self-catering apartment (as the name suggests :wink: ), often serviced in the way they describe. Obviously quite different to what we do. Apologies if you know this, I´m not sure where you´re based.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks Lorca, no I didn't know that - I did think it was a bit unusual for a s/c apartment to be cleaned every day! We are in the UK

Kind regards

www.harcourthome.co.uk
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

A lot of B&Bs here also have a couple of holiday apartments and they get the same daily cleaning service as the ordinary rooms.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I did think it was a bit unusual for a s/c apartment to be cleaned every day! We are in the UK

Our's get cleaned on departure only. We do offer guests the opportunity to have extra cleans but few seem to either expect it or take it up.

We have had Dutch guests who have been quite happy to pay in advance.