Fully Automated Online Booking & Calendar updating Websi

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
FoxDirect

Fully Automated Online Booking & Calendar updating Websi

Post by FoxDirect »

Why spend time updating the calendar? Why spend time talking on the phone? Why not go golfing as your vacation website takes credit card payments and gets confirmation back from the merchant account and then updates my calendar with the new booking?

Thats what I want.

Anyone know how to get there?

Here's more specifics:

I have a few properties in Las Vegas, NV that are going to be vacation rentals. I am in the process of building a fully automated website that will allow end users to see the properties, decide they want to book, check availability and reserve with credit card – all online. I want the merchant account to respond back to my website and automatically update my calendar with the latest booking. That way the entire process is automated.

For the “back side� I’m going to have a person in each complex where the rentals are that will be the check-in girl and also the maid. She’ll get an e-mail to meet the people at the specific time, she'll take their 3AM calls and she makes the cleaning fee all while I’ll be golfing.

The advice I need is to help figure out where I can go to get the PHP or other script to make the calendar – merchant account link work. Does anyone have any ideas or even leads of a competent programmer that can make that work?

Thanks for your time,

Jason Fox
paolo

Post by paolo »

Jason,

This is a forum for rental owners, and while some here have some back-end know-how, you would be better off posting your question on a webmaster's/programmer's forum. There must be many people who can achieve what you want, but they don't read this forum unless they also happen to be a rental owner.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

I think at least some parts of the project would be very useful to owners, particularly those who do not live on-site.

We would probably want to intervene in the process between enquiry and booking (I would not want automatic booking to take place) but I am quite attracted by the basic idea.

I wonder, will Jason share with us the answer to the question "how did you do that?" if/when he has finished? After all, sharing is what this forum is all about.

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jason,

It might help if the website you quote in your profile actually existed. I have tried it once or twice and get "The page cannot be found" as a response.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

After reading your post Alan I tried it as well,with the same (no) response :cry: I certainly wouldn't want automatic bookings but as you say "bits" might be useful :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan Knighting wrote:We would probably want to intervene in the process between enquiry and booking (I would not want automatic booking to take place) but I am quite attracted by the basic idea.
Seems to me that that is the idea - automatic booking - no enquiry, no human interaction till arrival time. That's OK for hotels, but I wouldn't really want it for my properties.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Hi

All of this is available on a site run by Villa Rentors that I use (with others) to advertise my property. It has worked seamlessly for me and the charges (especially for taking credit card payment) are no more than paypal. I have no connection other than a happy customer. Try

www.villarenters.com/default.asp?sag=13026Y&sc=emailref

if you're interested. They do have some teething problems according to their forum, but I've always been OK.

Regards

Tudor
www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Don't start me on them again!!! Doesn't work for me!!! I've never had an enquiry from them- I've plenty of bookings from elsewhere but not a sausage from Villa renters!! :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tudor,

If Jason is genuinely wanting to automate the lettings of his own properties I would have thought that Villarenters is exactly what he is looking for.

On the other hand, if he wants to create his own listing site perhaps he could try to link it to the Villarenters calendar and payment system.

Although I have no personal interest in adopting the Villarenters approach, for those who do it appears to be a very well thought out and comprehensive system. I am impressed to note that the property owner can intervene immediately an enquiry is received. However, I am not impressed with the overall cost which I would find far too high. Nor I am impressed with the fact that Villarenters normally retains all money until after the holiday has ended - with advance bookings that could be up to a year, or more.

For me D.I.Y. means "do it yourself". For others D.I.Y. means "don't involve yourself".

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Grrrr... I shouldn't think many people on this site would want the 2nd option! What's the point?Involving ourselves is what helps to make our properties attractive!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:Grrrr... I shouldn't think many people on this site would want the 2nd option! What's the point?Involving ourselves is what helps to make our properties attractive!!
Those who are renting out "coal holes" or "whitewashed barns" might prefer the 2nd option. Not me; not you.

Alan
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

I hope I don't have a coal hole or a white washed barn but I do use Villa Renters which has not been seamless may I add I have had plenty of problems along the way but I have decided to stick with it.

It might be because I am totally disorganised because I am very busy. I work 2 days a week in my old full time job, have a couple of small web businesses (not much income but keeps me out of trouble). I do endless school/nusery/party runs, dog walks have an active social life and am learning a language. I also cook all our food from scratch in the hope that my children live a long and heathly life away from additives and chicken nuggets.

As my life is quite chaotic in a nice way I found using there system to do all the reminding etc freed up some of my time and has meant I am not panicking about double bookings or making a mistake. I do pay 3.25% on all my own bookings for the trouble and 10% on bookings they generate but all in all I have decided its worth it for now.

Its not for everyone but once you put all your bookings through there system you go up in the search results on there sister site and about 3 weeks ago I got a booking for 4 weeks in July/August. I do have the opportunity of turning the booking down but the family are lovely, live in Ireland and have even sent a photo of themselves, so I know who I am dealing with. Its my forth booking through there system but I never had any in the first year.

I also like the fact that they now have a slide show of photos you can have up to 25 photos for about £25 extra and there is even a video or virtual tour option. For advertising my property in the best light I have not found another paid listing site that matches. Obviously this is because it is in their interests as you don't pay if you don't get bookings but some of the paid sites should take note. They are not there yet they still need to improve on customer service which can be dismal if you have a problem.

I suppose its a case of what we prefer as individuals its what makes life such fun. I can understand why its not for everyone but for moment I have decided to stick with the system as its bringing in some bookings and saving me some time.
Always Learning
debk

Post by debk »

"... that will be the check-in girl..."
I thought child labor was illegal in the USA?

:P
FoxDirect

Post by FoxDirect »

I understand that many of you like the personal touch and have time to e-mail or speak on the phone with your renters. I just simply want to run it as a fully automated business. I have four businesses and my time is too valuable to spend on the phone. My properties are by no means dirt bag. One is a Penthouse in Wimbeldon on the strip.

As to the question about my website, I own the .com but obviously no content up yet. I need to get the Programming done first and then I'll build the webpages.

I have a few .coms and will probably link them all to one page.

lasvegasvacationpartyrental.com
vegashouserental.com
vegaspartycondo.com
vegaspartyroom.com
foxvacations.com

Thanks for the link to VillaRenters.com I'm currently looking into them. Looks like they do what I'm looking for.

-Jason
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Hanorah,
I hope I don't have a coal hole or a white washed barn but I do use Villa Renters.........
Heaven forbid - that was not a personal dig at you. It was more an observation on the sort of owner most likely to be attracted to the fully automated booking service offered by Villa Renters.

Alan