Mid and High season overlap booking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

Mid and High season overlap booking

Post by Musetta »

this is so stupid of me...but...I put my high season rates up and listed them by the month (I know, DUH) rather than dates so that "july" is high season, but "june" is regular - normally, I would just charge the lower rate if it was over a week...but this enquiry is for June 27- July 7th, so very high season here (July 4th is a BIG bank holiday weekend) and not Sat.-Sat. and a wedding party (mother of the groom and family.) I could charge high season rates for the July part and low for the June part? (although, if I were charging someone only 4 nights in June it would be higher anyway) told you this was a really stupid question ;-) but what does everyone else usually do?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Discriminaton/profiling warning

If I want them I give them the low rate throughout their rental.

If I don't want or need them I zap them the high rate.

MG
A-two

Post by A-two »

My suggestion. First thing to do is correct the rates on the site. Then you have to decide between:

a) Honoring the rates quoted and pro rate the days, so it's 4 days @ x rate + 3 days @ XX = one week at XXX.

b) Or, the other way is to apologize for a genuine mistake, give her the corrected number of 7 days at XX= XXXX, and be prepared to lose the booking.

A wedding party ought to be willing to pay a little more as there's more risk involved, although nobody likes to think they are being charged more than anyone else, and I usually do try and honor any errors where discounted rates haven't been corrected, but discount July 4th? I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that personally, in fact I know I wouldn't, it's the highest paying week of the year here.
Waves from America
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

thanks! I'm still back and forth really...would love to be really fair and give her the lower rate...but, then I started thinking about it and, I would never accept a less than week booking for the July 4th weekend and this would probably leave me with half the week to fill...and, horribly discriminatory as it may be, they are a max occupancy American wedding party and their is always a good chance there will be the local family over at the house too (whether they fess up to it or not.) June booked solid last year (*knock on wood*) so I'm not too concerned yet about filling those...think I will give her a ring and see what kind of feeling I get over the phone before quoting and, at best, I will pro-rate.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I regularly split pricing bands, so 4 nights at xxx, plus 3 nights at xxx, I haven't found anyone has a problem with that.
would love to be really fair and give her the lower rate
Why would that be fair, you did advertise July at the higher rate after all so she should be expecting it. :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
enid

Post by enid »

That's exactly what we do Katie
Marks

Post by Marks »

Have to agree. I price 'by the month' so if someone wants 27 June to 7 July it's 4 nights at the June rate and 6 nights at the July rate. Never had a problem with this.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

agree with Katiegirl - I have just done the same with someone who wants 10 nights which starts in lower March rate but then includes Easter weekend - have quoted some nights at the lower rate and rest at the higher Easter hols rate. I could have asked for the whole period at the higher rate, as if they book they will be leaving midweek, leaving me with half a week to fill, but thats not the rate advertised and therefore not fair.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Us too - we charge pro rata for overlap dates. Often with part weeks too, as we don´t have set changeover days.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

thanks again everyone for sharing! I quoted her the prorated amount - 4 nights @ june rate + 6 nights @ july)