How do you handle changeovers ?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>

How do you handle changeover ?

I handle everything myself
46%
I have a local friend / contact
18%
I use a local cleaning service for everything
15%
I use a professional property management company
15%
I have another solution
5%

Total votes: 39

kevincohr

How do you handle changeovers ?

Post by kevincohr »

I am interested to find out how people handle key pick up / cleaning / changeover etc.

I have been using a local property management company for my apartment in Nice, but I've had to do a lot of chasing with them. Have others had similar experience and do you have any suggestions ?

Just to clarify, my assumption is that (almost) everyone here will handle their own advertising and booking. However, that brings the challenge of how to handle the physical changeover, particularly when you can't be on site to handle yourself.

Thanks,

Kevin
Last edited by kevincohr on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I handle all the advertising and booking myself. I send out keys and directions 1-2 weeks before the start date and I have a local caretaker who looks after cleaning, laundry, garden and pool maintenance. He's also available in case of emergencies or problems with the house.

It's my first year of renting so I've not got a lot of experience but so far everything has gone smmothly and seems to be working out well, with really positive feedback.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ah,I've found a problem with the poll. I too "
I handle all the advertising and booking myself."
......however I too now use a local to help with cleaning,garden and pool maintenance . I therefore ticked the "local contact" box,but could have ticked the "DIY" box? Trials and tribs of statistics hey-" there are lies,da*ned lies and statistics" as someone slightly famous once said!! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

We handle all the advertising and booking myself. I send out keys and directions 1-2 weeks before the start date and I have a local resident who looks after cleaning, laundry, She's also available in case of emergencies or problems with the apartment.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joan and I live on-site so we personally handle the whole lot, all maintenance and guests from enquiry to hand-over.

There have been times when we have had a complete hand-over (10 people out & 10 people in) when we have called in local help. It's at the drop of a hat, it's very efficient and it's very cheap - 8€ an hour.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I live on site and do everything myself, advertising, enquiries, bookings, maintenance, linen & towels, gardening and pool. It is only for changeover days in Peak when I have help from a cleaning lady as I can't do the 12+ hours it takes to clean 3 houses myself in the 6 hours I have to do the changeover. I pay the same as Alan, but then with the social charges on top, it works out about 14€ per hour.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We do everything ourselves, but have a babysitter for changeover days. I think there is a difference between those for whom letting is their livelyhood, like myself, and those who have properties as an extra income.

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

you're looking at madame dogsbody here - do the lot! Include maintainence in that as well (well the light bulbs, weeding, the hair traps in the showers - things like that), plumbers etc. for more complex situations.

But I no longer see folk in... I leave keys - once the money is here then a week before they are due I check arrival times, have they got a map then tell them where they will find the keys.

I wash all the towels (yes those things again!!), tea towels, bath mats, bed side mats & fitted sheets. The flat sheets, quilt covers and pillow cases all go to the laundry - which picks up from here & delivers it all back (I could not manage without this service now).

I have cleaners at each house - I work with both sets with my rubber gloves on. I really am not relaxed unless I have seen each house when it is finished before it is handed over... this week a classic as both new guests arrived early so I wasn't able to check one house before they came in - sure enough a phone call - gas cylinder in the cooker was low!

I don't trust anyone else to get my true standards.
it's all a learning curve!
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

We live in London and our holiday home is in Tuscany so we have a neighbour who speaks perfect English meet and greet our guests and make sure everything is perfect in the house. She is also available if any problems arise and she arranges for someone to come and attend to any repairs that are required. I pay her 50 Euros for each booking. I also have a housekeeper that does the cleaning and she sends the linens & towels to the local laundry but insists that she does the ironing herself! She is obsessive about cleanliness and I adore her! I pay her 50 Euros per booking as well. I take care of all enquires, bookings and questions regarding our property. We get our bookings via the internet from various holiday rental listing sites and directly from our website.

This system seems to work well as all involved understand the high standards that need to be maintained if we want our guests to be pleased with the accommodation, attention to detail and personal service we try to achieve. I might be paying a little over the odds for my meet and greeter and the housekeeper, but I think its worth it knowing my house and guests are being well looked after.
mario

Post by mario »

You have got a little jem there,hope you keep her sweet.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Minda,

A belated happy 21st birthday! :wink:
Paolo
Lay My Hat
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Thanks Paolo!

Ah, to be 21 again....! I feel a bit of deja vu coming on!!!
evabal

Post by evabal »

I live in Canada and my apartment is in Hungary. Luckily my parents live right next door but hey would not be able to handle the cleaning and things. They are there to Welcome the guests and provide them with a key or if there are any concerns. I have a local university student who speaks English also, to clean the apartment. If tere are airport transport needs to be done, he drives the guests and makes some extra money. I pay him 18 EUR for cleaning. Do not forget that we are talking about a a 33 m2 apartment only. For my parents I buy a trip somewhere as a bonus, since they do not want to receive any money from me. I am also thinking to buy an other aparment and than maybe I have to look into other alternatives.

Eva
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We handle all the bookings ourselves. Keys are posted by recorded delivery and we meet and greet the guests the day after arrival.

We have a gardener (who also maintains the pool) who goes to the villa twice a week, but the little maintenance jobs are done by my husband.

Changeover days are done between myself and our Spanish cleaner...because the villa is so big, she does the first floor and I do the ground floor. André's (hubby) job is cleaning the terraces, bar and pool area. All the bed linen go to the local laundery, but I wash and iron the pillowcases, bath mats and hand and tea towels.

We always visit our guests the day before they leave to make sure that everything has been ok and to thank them for booking with us.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am handling the advertiaing and booking myself, and a friend is handling my changeovers, although I do get a link on her website.