Why do I find it so irritating that

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Mountain Goat

Why do I find it so irritating that

Post by Mountain Goat »

owners just turn up here, and with their first post ask for a review of their website, without even bothering to ask properly or at least say please?

And 99 times out of 100 we'll never hear from them again, as they go off and try and find out what a grocers' apostrophe might be when it's at home, or wind-up a spell-check or retire with hurt feelings when we don't all say how wonderful and cutting edge their new site is?

Am I just heading for terminal grumpy old man syndrome?

MG
gone-fishin

Post by gone-fishin »

Hello Mountain Goat, I am still here in fact I have been with this forum since it first came into being. I only now feel confident to post as the real me!
I think perhaps a number of people could be singing from the same hymn sheet as moi.
I never fail to learn something from this forum. Does it really matter if some folk only dip their toe into the forum now and again. Surely its a breath of fresh air, not that its needed. :wink:
Measure twice and cut once!
declanja

Post by declanja »

I was one of those who put my site up for review just after joining and only later read the forum rules.
I think that quality for knowledge here is of such a high standard that newbies feel they might not have much to offer initially. I did feel that way in any case. I do respect members that continually post reviews as it is time consuming. Some of us with poor technical and grammatical skills are also shy of posting reviews. I can spot good and bad photos though!
So, no you are are not grumpy!!
Declan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm with MG on this so I rarely even bother to look at posts on this thread unless they are posted by regular members. It isn't just the lack of politeness in asking for a review but often the lack of thanks after you have bothered to look at their site and done the review. Not to mention the mauling you sometimes get if you are negative about it.
One of the more memorable ones viewtopic.php?t=3797&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ah yes, Updown Cottage!

I have to say that I am one of the old-timers who no longer normally checks this section of the forum, for the very reasons outlined by MG. I spent quite a bit of effort for the first couple of years, reviewing sites - and at times gently suggesting those seeking a review post comments on others' requests first - even tried to reassure them that they didn't need to be experts: we all recognise what an attractive/helpful website looks like if we've ever searched for holiday direct from an owner.

As Paolo says in the Sticky:
paolo wrote:It doesn't have to be anything in-depth or technical, just a gut reaction will do. Gut reactions are good - they tell us whether our sites are putting across the right messages.
I wish more people would read this Sticky. Here is the link again!

viewtopic.php?t=437
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Garri

Post by Garri »

I'm with MG on this. Perhaps we should just simply reply to these first timers with "your website is really great" and see how they respond.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Margaret wrote:
Sorry, didn't get past the front page for lack of time but as a punter, I'm not certain I would have done either.
In support of the ‘website review’ section, I received much invaluable and unstinting help from many experienced members when I was building my website last year. I had a clear idea of what I wanted but, after much kicking about, the finished product was considerably different – and much, much better in my opinion. It’s still a bit ’people-rich’ for the taste of many (and we’ve had a few spirited discussions about this topic over the years) but I like it and, more importantly, it’s done a fine job for us (just clinched a fortnight's booking in this morning's emails).

Margaret’s pithy comment (above) was only the second response on the thread and a healthy whack of astringency for somebody basking in the after-glow of imagining that he might be a hot-shot web designer. So – for anybody contemplating a site review – I’d say go for it, but don't be too precious and do count yourself extremely fortunate if you can attract comments from the really knowledable members here.

Jim
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I just looked at your site, Jimbo - and I like the people aspect - but I noticed you still have your "flash" saying 2009 rates if you book before 31 December. I guess that's redundant now?
enid

Post by enid »

I used to spend a lot of time doing this as I was so grateful to the people who had helped me but I too am fed up with people who come for a review and are never seen again. I do take the point that pêople may have been reading the forum for a long time before they psot asking for a review but we don't know that and first postings might be to give advice and support to someone else before asking for member's time.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Normandie wrote:I just looked at your site, Jimbo - and I like the people aspect - but I noticed you still have your "flash" saying 2009 rates if you book before 31 December. I guess that's redundant now?
Not unless he means before 31st December 2010 to secure 2009 rates?

Jimbo, "a healthy whack of astringency for somebody basking in the after-glow of imagining that he might be a hot-shot web designer." - who was that then?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I guess that's redundant now?
Normandie, going today but it's been a useful 'sprat to catch a mackerel' for a couple of wavering punters - now booked!
Jimbo, "a healthy whack of astringency for somebody basking in the after-glow of imagining that he might be a hot-shot web designer." - who was that then?
Garri - I can dream!

Jim
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I guess the lack of thanks is excusable, when your site has been ripped to pieces.

LV, and GG, isn't Updown Cottage a classic? The whole thread builds like a minor novel from tentative and routine beginnings, and as the various characters become involved, develops a richness rarely seen outside a Pinter play. Interesting, of course, to have a dekko at Updown and see, as the embers of the thread are now just a dull glow*, what advice they took on board. I have to admit I still had to search around to see how one sent off the Contact Form.

MG
*what the **** are you on about?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:I guess the lack of thanks is excusable, when your site has been ripped to pieces.
Yes, but mostly constructively :lol:
Another one that sticks in the memory, not quite Updown, but a runner up viewtopic.php?t=4882&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Last edited by la vache! on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garri

Post by Garri »

That's a blast from the past, LV. At least they added the word Portugal to the site, even if all other advice was ignored.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That one started to get interesting, perhaps, when LV mentioned:

the whole text reads like it was written by an overly hormonal semi literate teenager

:lol:

Especially as it was probably true.....

MG