Why do I find it so irritating that

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Pure comedy gold, MG!
Pen

Post by Pen »

Having read this thread I have finally said hello everyone (after 8 months of just looking on), and now I really would like some honest opinions about our website: www.lfrgites.com

It is the first time I have done anything of this sort so I realise there could be a lot needing change - but please don't too technical about advice, I will need it in plain english!
Garri

Post by Garri »

Pen, it might be wiser to start a fresh thread dedicated to reviewing your website.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Thanks Garri, have done.
andilubio

Post by andilubio »

Hey guys, i kinda started off a little like that... not even saying hi...but i can assure you i´ll stick around to help whom i can.
www.nuevespigas.com Villa in Casarabonela, Malaga. Spain

9 rooms, 18 people. private pool
Garri

Post by Garri »

Mountain Goat wrote: LV, and GG, isn't Updown Cottage a classic? The whole thread builds like a minor novel from tentative and routine beginnings, and as the various characters become involved, develops a richness rarely seen outside a Pinter play. Interesting, of course, to have a dekko at Updown and see, as the embers of the thread are now just a dull glow*, what advice they took on board. I have to admit I still had to search around to see how one sent off the Contact Form.
This is just in via Twitter, courtesy of Heather (@cottageguru). She's just posted a review of Updown Cottage on her blog.

Quite an honest and thorough review though I didn't see any reference to the lack of a conventional 'submit' button on the enquiry form.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hey , I missed that so well spotted Garri! Going to point JC to it? :) :wink: She might sit up and take more notice of Heather than of us mere mortals!

(Hullo Heather!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Garri

Post by Garri »

Well, it seems that Heather's review has gone down better with JC than our collective review on LMH: http://twitter.com/UpdownCottage/status/7871348730

Didn't JC call us a bunch of sad losers, or words to that effect?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I didn't see any reference to the lack of a conventional 'submit' button on the enquiry form.

A fairly routine topic at the JC breakfast table I would have thought....

'Darling, you know that silly website forum thing with those cranky owners? Do you remember?

'Ummm?' Not raising himself from the Torygraph.

'Well, I know this is maaaaaad, but perhaps, well, do you think, well, perhaps we could have a submit button on our site?'

Grunt. Grrr. Hmph. Kicks the dog.

MG
Garri

Post by Garri »

MG, I'd promised Paolo I would refrain from littering my posts with any smileys or other such frivolous accouterments, but regrettably I'm going to have to resist that urge in this instance.

In my humble opinion, for what it is worth, a clear submit button is always a good idea even if the rest of the website is crap. In fact, start off designing the form with the submit button in case it gets overlooked.
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Most people are extremely attached to their creation.

And for the first timer designing their website, sweating loads - pouring everything they got. Getting a negative feedback could feel like a dagger plunged in. So , they could run away bleeding never to come back

I try to - always look at a website objectively.

If a website could be utterly hopeless. Then I shy away from giving feedback. As I wouldn't know where to start anyway.

But if there is something I could say, somethign very simple, achievable, objective that could make a lot of difference than I do .. Usually stuff that most of other people would agree with ..

Sometimes 'ugly' means nothing really. So I try never to look into aesthetics. But functionality.

One of my ugliest website ever (which I designed for a friend of mine) - happens to be also one of the most successful. Bringing him a stream of students non-stop. He is a piano teacher by the way.

The website is so ugly, I still cringe when I think about it :(
Windy

Post by Windy »

I agree that nobody wants to hear bad things Henry.

I suppose nobody will post asking for a review unless they honestly believe that their site is at least acceptable (and possibly even quite good).

Criticism therefore comes as a bit of a cold bath, and sometimes personalities can make that even harder to take. Couple that with the fact that, by definition, many people asking for reviews are new and so don't know the personalities involved and there is a potentially explosive mix.

What the reviewee has to understand is that nobody posts in these reviews for any other reason than to help them improve their site. That doesn't mean that everyone who comments is right, or that all advice must be taken. It does mean that, as long as it is presented pleasantly, it should be accepted politely. That Up Down Cottage thread which was just before my time was a classic of how not to accept good advice kindly meant.

Like others I don't spend ages on this thread - I tend to just offer quick comments now, but I have great admiration for the people who offer lengthy, positive and sometimes highly technical deconstructions as Brooke has done recently.

This is a fantastic resource to have available as a rental owner, but there really is no point is posting here if all you want (or can take) is "yeah its lovely"