Should I give potential guests a gentle nudge?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Tizfata

Should I give potential guests a gentle nudge?

Post by Tizfata »

Starting from the New Year, I keep track of the enquiries (thanks, NC!).
So far not so bad: 12 days 21 enquiries.
Here come the question.
Some (9) of the enquiries were VERY generic, like "to you have availability for one week (not saying which) in August" or so, while 12 got a got booking option.
So far only one of these has converted to a booking.
3 potential guests said "lovely property but we booked somewhere else".
Should I give a gentle nudge to those that just will let the option expire? :roll:
Any tip about how to emprove this tragic conversion rate greatly appreciated!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If I don't get a response once I've answered an enquiry I send a follow up email saying I just wanted to check you received my email as I've had some instances where my reply has gone into the spam folder, if you did receive it aplogies and please ignore this email.
If someone sounded very interested and wants an option I chase them up by saying I've had another enquiry for those dates and just wanted to check if you had made a decision before replying to the other interested party.
Not 100% honest, but hey, its a business.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I'd definitely follow up all enquiries- it can be done nicely, along the lines la Vache suggested and you could also say that (now they've had time to look at your website / read the literature / whatever) if is there any additional information you can give them - local information, details about shopping, tours... whatever fits, you'd be happy to do so.

I'd always (and will!) follow up all enquiries - it shows you're interested in them personally and their booking. It's a sales technique. If they are looking at 3 or 4 comparable "products", you following up may persuade them to buy. Of course, the skill is in not looking desperate!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Normandie wrote:Of course, the skill is in not looking desperate!
lol, hence the little white lies from time to time...
declanja

Post by declanja »

I always follow up along the lines above but only once has it lead to a booking. On the other hand if the follow up email does not get a response it is easy to forget and move on!

Declan
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I have followed up on several enquiries just saying if they need more info or if they have any questions don't hesitate and I always wish them luck (or words to that effect) in finding their perfect holiday home.
If I do not have availability and once they have replied that they are not flexible on dates I try tp put them in touch with others who might have availability. I would like to think that if they decide to return to the area another time they will remember my helping hand or at least the gesture.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

How long do you guys (or gals) leave it between the first email and the follow up? I do follow up but can never decide how long to leave it.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I follow up all the enquiries which I think are worth it. Usually after 2-3 days along the lines of: did you get my reply/do you need any more information. I have been shocked at how many replies don't seem to have arrived. I never give an option on dates unless a. the potential guests ask for it to give them time to fix flights or b. they have filled in the booking form (it is on our website, they don't need me to send it to them) and I am just waiting for payment. If I do give them an option, then it always has a deadline, especially at this time of year, when lots of people are asking for the same or overlapping dates.

It does seem to be hard to finalise apparently definite enquiries into firm bookings (=form + deposit) at the moment. We have nearly 40 enquiries so far (our best ever January) but only 5 actual bookings plus probably more than that again who seem definite but have not completed therefore not counted. The second half of the month is always better, as people gradually firm up their plans. I know that a lot of people are distracted by the snow at the moment.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

In 8 years of renting I follow up with an email 2 days after (so I can clear me inbox, see I'm a tidy person!)

I can honestly say that one came back saying they hadn't got it but didn't book, one other came back and booked

With statistics like that I always wonder if its worth the effort but can't bring myself to stop!!
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Thank you all!
After receiving the gas bill, my bank account :shock: is urging me to write nudges... :roll:
I will keep you posted!
Thank you again!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Thanks for me as well. :D

I've just received word that my telephone bill has arrived :shock: so that's just the little nudge I need too.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I would be very wary of large bookings or bookings for multiple parties for unspecified dates. From my experience, they can often be scams.

I'm not saying they all are by any stretch, but I think the scammers do often try to propose something which a) might be for a significant sum of money (therefore attractive to the owner) and b) might be flexible (so that there is less risk of the owner not be able to accommodate them).
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.