And now the new logo, what do you think?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
andilubio

And now the new logo, what do you think?

Post by andilubio »

My brother and I have thought of this new logo, give me your toughts on it. Thanks guys!!

It´s a little big sorry!
www.nuevespigas.com Villa in Casarabonela, Malaga. Spain

9 rooms, 18 people. private pool
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Gosh I hate being negative but it looks too much to me like a broccoli floret or a plastic tree from a children's playset :?

Perhaps introducing another colour or shading to it would add visual interest?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I can see where you're coming from Eileen, but I've just clicked the link to his website, and the tree kind of makes sense as a logo, given that the house is set above and amongst a forest.

Andilubio, I realise your request was for feedback about your logo, but I do have a comment about your website. When you first get to it, there is a stunning picture of your house, but when you click on the flag to enter the site properly, you just get a photo of a door, and after that I can't find any way to get back to that lovely picture - which is without a doubt your USP!!! (Not a boring door, no matter how elegant it is!) Remember: Location, location, location and you appear to have it in spades, so you should make it feature more prominently in your advertising...

(Just my two-pennyworth :D )
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I find it a little hard to tell with the logo reproduced at such a large size but, from what I can tell, I actually prefer the 'Villa La Era' text on your website as a logo. I appreciate that it's entirely text based, but I feel it looks better/classier than the above.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

NC don't you think the difference in our opinions is interesting and just goes to show how difficult it must to come up with a logo/website with broad appeal.

Personally I think the villa is lost in the vast landscape in the main photo and doesn't quite impress me in a way in which it could....but I do like the door on the homepage...to me it quietly symbolizes both welcome and tradition. LOL..have I confused matters or what? :?

Eileenx
andilubio

Post by andilubio »

Normandy Cow wrote:I can see where you're coming from Eileen, but I've just clicked the link to his website, and the tree kind of makes sense as a logo, given that the house is set above and amongst a forest.

Andilubio, I realise your request was for feedback about your logo, but I do have a comment about your website. When you first get to it, there is a stunning picture of your house, but when you click on the flag to enter the site properly, you just get a photo of a door, and after that I can't find any way to get back to that lovely picture - which is without a doubt your USP!!! (Not a boring door, no matter how elegant it is!) Remember: Location, location, location and you appear to have it in spades, so you should make it feature more prominently in your advertising...

(Just my two-pennyworth :D )
Yeah, the tree is supposed to make sense as the villa´s old logo had a tree because its a big tree we have courting an old mill.

Concerning the first page photo, I really like it too... the porpoise of it to see how the villa is located and the views it has it self.

andilubio

Post by andilubio »

kendalcottages wrote:I find it a little hard to tell with the logo reproduced at such a large size but, from what I can tell, I actually prefer the 'Villa La Era' text on your website as a logo. I appreciate that it's entirely text based, but I feel it looks better/classier than the above.
That is a good thought also... what we might do is leave the website as is and use this logo for other matters such as portfolios, visiting cards, invoices...those type of things.

I´ll try and get the logo a little smaller(my brother made it).

A side from loving the homepage photo, it would and will make a more impact if it was a sunny summer day... which we will try and get.

Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

LOL...well I'll just crawl quietly back to my corner then. :lol:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

NNNNoooooh!!! Don't crawl Eileen - walk back with your head held high!

We all have different opinions, and this thread is a great example of how you can't please all of the people all of the time!
(and that is why I have not put my website up for review recently!)
andilubio

Post by andilubio »

Eileen2 wrote:LOL...well I'll just crawl quietly back to my corner then. :lol:
Eileen, dont do that! I appreciate all the opinions I can get, they are all constructive.

Garri

Post by Garri »

How did you create/design the logo? Using a bitmap program such as Photoshop, or similar?
andilubio

Post by andilubio »

Garri wrote:How did you create/design the logo? Using a bitmap program such as Photoshop, or similar?
All I know my brother made it with photoshop.

Garri

Post by Garri »

andilubio wrote: All I know my brother made it with photoshop.
I thought so.

The first rule of logo design is to use vector graphics as opposed to raster graphics, which is what Photoshop is. The clue is in the name 'Photoshop'.

What's the difference between rasters and vectors? This post will give you that answer.

To better understand and appreciate why it's not a good idea to use raster graphics for logos you need to read this post on Smashing Magazine: 10 Common Mistakes In Logo Design - in particular mistake number 3.

If you've designed the logo using a vector program it will allow you to blow it up to any size you like without losing quality (though the quality of the design itself is another matter entirely)

The other great thing about using vectors is you can easily change aspects of the design and easily use different colours for different elements. In other words, it's more liberating than using raster images.

Another key point is does your logo look clear when rendered in greyscale?

As for your logo itself, I feel the tree could be more stylised as it's too detailed - you'll lose that detail when the logo is reduced in size. Also, consider using a script style font as this would nicely compliment how you've chosen to render the V as the tree trunk.
Ju

Post by Ju »

In terms of the logo - good start but need work. I think Garri said more than I could.

In terms of photos I don't think either of the ones mentioned sell the property. The first one is not taken in good enough weather, and ther door is well, a door. The photo on your "dates and rates" page on the other han is a stunner. It has the outline of a mountain in the distance, and shows the villa in all its glory.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I've just remembered, another huge benefit of designing logos using a vector program is the ability to manipulate/enhance/tweak whichever typeface you choose, as you like. Just type your text and then, depending on which program you are using, convert it to paths (Fireworks) or convert to outlines (Illustrator).

You can then isolate certain letters or groups of letters and experiment. You can do all sorts of things such as apply a 1px outline and change the colour. You can apply gradients, control letter spacing however you wish etc etc etc.

So for example, you've got the word 'cheeky' and you think it might be cool to keep the first 'e' normal and horizontally flip the second 'e'. Simple: convert all the text to paths, select the second 'e' and then transform it by flipping it horizontally.

One is only limited by their imagination.