Youngsters

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Well done, John, for not dropping this - as well as probably getting damages awarded to you by the court you are protecting future potential victims from these louts.
Good luck - and keep us posted.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes,thanks for letting us know how things stand.At least in Uk you will have an outcome soon.Over in France with the bank court case we have been told that the hearing may be in the Spring (the money was taken in December 2004),we will probably win,the bank will probably contest,it could be 2007 before we see our money again!! No wonder people give up!! :evil:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Fraise,
Don't give up!
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Aw shucks!!!Thankee :-) No,we're not doing but some people must,it's so unfair!! Still,who said life is fair? With all the horrid happenings all round us it's only small fry :? :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Patia

Post by Patia »

I knew it! I've been following this thread for some time, and I too have had enquiries from groups of youngsters . . . usually very polite enquiries where they recognise the fact that I might be wary of them . . . and sometimes with parental back-up. I have never known quite what to do but, as it has turned out, each one has fallen by the wayside for one reason or another and I have never been faced with making the final decision.

However . . . something has been tugging at my memory, and finally I have found the following extract which I had tucked away in one of my files containing useful bits of info. If you follow the link below it will take you to the Foreign Office pages for 'Travel Advice by Country', and I have pasted in a para which is currently showing as applicable to Spain at least, although I haven't looked to see if it is the same in other countries:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pag ... 3618386442

LOCAL LAWS AND CUSTOMS

Parents should be aware that their children under 18 could face legal problems if they are on holiday in Spain without an adult. Spanish law defines anyone under the age of 18 to be a minor, subject to parental control or adult supervision. Minors who are in Spain unaccompanied and who come to the attention of the authorities for whatever reason, may find themselves taken into care by Spanish Social Services until such time as they can be released into the custody of a parent or other responsible adult.

What do you make of that Crystal? I think it has to put a different complexion on things for you and me at least with regard to whether or not we accept these groups of youngsters . . . if they are under 18 that is. Honestly, the things we are expected to know about!

Patia
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

" may find themselves taken into care by Spanish Social Services until such time as they can be released into the custody of a.... "

Maybe that's why some of these parents are keen to let them go!! They know something we didn't :wink:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Many thanks Patia..it's good to be able to quote that when we next get an enquiry from groups under the age of 18!
Patia

Post by Patia »

Crystal:

Yes, it's a very handy piece to use in order to politely refuse a worrying-sounding enquiry isn't it. I have a feeling I found out about this as a result of an airline using it in respect of a group who were rather more than lively during the course of their journey. I believe they were stopped from continuing with their holiday . . although I can't remember whether they were stopped at the UK end before they actually boarded the 'plane, or if it was at the Spanish airport as some kind of retribution for their behaviour whilst in the air . . . either way I know the thought of such a thing happening to a group who were booked into one of our properties filled me with horror because of the possible repercussions! Anyway, whilst the story is apocryphal, clearly the warning from the FCO is real, and needs to be taken seriously!

Fraise:

On the other hand of course, we may just have found a whole new marketing idea here . . .

Patia
debk

Post by debk »

Fraise wrote:" may find themselves taken into care by Spanish Social Services until such time as they can be released into the custody of a.... "

Maybe that's why some of these parents are keen to let them go!! They know something we didn't :wink:
Thanks, Fraise, for yet another good chuckle!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Just had an enquiry from a group of youngsters wanting to book a week in October next year (one will be 18 and the rest 17..."nearly 18").

Gave them your link Patia....it justifies why we have to say no to underage groups.....thank you!!!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Just had an enquiry from a group of 18 year olds...I sent an email back saying the usual 'thank you but unfortunately no', and got this reply back

"Thank you for your fast response. I am sad to hear that it will not be possible for us to rent this property as we have been trying to find something a little different to the standard package holiday. I was, infact, attracted by the fact that the villa was in a quiet part of town as we could go down to the beach or town as we pleased and then return home where we could be sure of some peace and quiet for a good nights sleep. Saying this however i fully appreciate your decision
Thankyou for your time
Mark"

Well..I was impressed with the maturity of the response and now in two minds whether to chance it and accept or not :?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Crystal,

I'm not surprised you're in two minds over this. The response does sound as though it comes from a responsible person. It's a rare thing these days to get a message like that from anyone, young or not.

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I very rarely get replies if I send a message saying that the villa is unavailable (normally because the dates are already booked). So was a bit taken aback that he took the time to reply to my 'rejection' email. I've just tried to ring his home number and left a message on the answerphone. I'd like to have a chat with him and then perhaps take it from there on my 'gut instinct'.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Perhaps his mum wrote the email? :wink:
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Am I the only one to think that Mark is pulling your leg? That's exactly the sort of tongue-in-cheek reply I would expect from a smart 18 yr old!
Best,
Alexia.